• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Gun Free School Zones Mapped in Cheyenne

Eagle2009

Here is a map of the Title 18 USC 922(q) Federal Gun Free School Zones in Cheyenne. Under the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995, it is a federal felony for any person to travel armed on public sidewalks, roads, or highways that pass within 1000 feet of the property line of any K-12 school, unless they have a carry permit physically issued by the State in which the school is in. Permit reciprocity, and unlicensed carry do not protect an individual from the federal law. The zones on the map are circular, and are smaller than the actual zones, which are measured from the school's property line. It is a felony for a permit holder or off-duty police officer to discharge their firearm in a school zone under any circumstances.

cheyennegfsza.jpg

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Its not even discharge its them KNOWINGLY being within 1000 feet of a school. It seems to me someone traveling from out of state could definatley make the argument they didn't know they were within the 1000 feet.

CAPT FRED CFII

Another reason to get a Concealed Firearm Permit!

Open carry is still limited by certain laws, that have yet to be overcome by those of us who elect the people in government that say they "represent" US!

Until the time comes that "we the people of these United States" can change some of those laws, there are occassionally ways to appease both sides, at least for the time being. In this situation, that compromise may well be the acquring of a CFP from the State of Wyoming. The new law that will take effect on July 1st will no longer require Wyoming residents to have a CFP to carry a concealed firearm; however, one problem I can see concerning the new law is that if a person who is then carrying concealed without a Wyoming issued CFP is stopped within the 1,000 foot radius of a K-12 school they will still be in violation of the federal statutes. "Knowingly" or "unknowingly", I don't think will make a bit of differance. This federal statute is just another good reason for those who want to carry in the state of Wyoming to bite the proverbial "bullet" and shell out the cash to go and get the permit anyway for just these types of situations. Just to be clear... I am not trying to undermine Open Carry in any way, only to further the rights of us all to carry our firearms, by whatever means it may take--and go on from there.

Last edited:

AB

...only to further the rights of us all to carry our firearms, by whatever means it may take...

Did you participate during the last session in Constitutional Carry Campaign?

CAPT FRED CFII

>AB
HTML:
..."Did you participate during the last session in Constitutional Carry Campaign?"...
I'm not entirely sure what your question is asking of me. If you mean did I communicate with my and other State Legislators regarding the proposed bills that were considered during the last session, then the answer is "yes". If you are questioning something else, please explain further.

bobcat

OK, Eagle2009, you've stirred the puddin' here and on other state forums. What's your point? You present a problem, but no solution.

Ample legal case can be made for a visitor to a State in question can carry with their home states or other permit that is legally recognized by the primary State in question. There is a *legal* recognition, therefore a legal link.

Or are you suggesting Federal Legislative action should be taken to rid us of this goofy GFSZ exclusion?

Eagle2009

Ample legal case can be made for a visitor to a State in question can carry with their home states or other permit that is legally recognized by the primary State in question. There is a *legal* recognition, therefore a legal link.

Or are you suggesting Federal Legislative action should be taken to rid us of this goofy GFSZ exclusion?

A permit holder can legally carry in a reciprocal state, as long as they don't carry within 1000 feet of any school's property line while in the reciprocal state. Otherwise, they are committing a federal crime. I strongly support federal legislative action being taken to correct this. Every state except for Illinois now issues permits, but permit holders can't reasonably carry outside of their home-states without risking federal prosecution.