• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Five Pro Gun Bills introduced in Alabama!

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

House Bill 339, “Emergency Powers” legislation, sponsored by State Representative Marc Keahey (D-65), will protect our Second Amendment rights by prohibiting any government agency from confiscating or regulating the lawful sale, possession, transfer, transport and carry of firearms during a state of emergency, such as occurred in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Senate Bill 18, sponsored by State Senator Henry “Hank” Erwin, Jr. (R-14), authorizes a student at a state-supported college or university to carry a firearm on campus if he or she has a permit to carry a concealed handgun, is in good standing with the institution, and has completed an approved course on “gun skills.”

Senate Bill 271, also authored Senator Erwin, authorizes professors at state-supported colleges and universities to carry a firearm on the campus of the college or university at which the professor is employed, so long as they have a permit to carry a firearm.

Senate Bill 27, also introduced by Senator Erwin, prohibits state-supported colleges and universities from adopting policies prohibiting professors from carrying a firearm on campus if they have a permit to carry a firearm.

Finally, Senate Bill 156, sponsored by State Senator Rusty Glover (R-34), would create a special disabled person's hunting license available for $1 during the period of total disability.

Please continue to check your email and www.NRAILA.org for updates on these and other Second Amendment related issues.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

SB 18 sounds promising, but just what exactly does this course on "gun skills" entaill, and how will it be standardized from University to University?

It also seems that by requiring such a course, students will have to register with the University in order to show they meet the requirements. I don't like that particularly. I'd rather have a law that says: "Ya know what Andrew? You've got a permit already. We're officially going to recognize your right to carry it here. We won't bother you anymore about it, and we certainly won't be storing your name on a "please harrass" list with the Campus PD."

But this is a step in the right direction I suppose. Alot better than the one introduced previously that would only allow ROTC students to carry.

Kingfish

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
SB 18 sounds promising, but just what exactly does this course on "gun skills" entaill, and how will it be standardized from University to University?
Just read the bill. Carry ONLY applies to ROTC participants.

(5) Is a participant in an ROTC program at the college or university or approved by the college or university.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Ahh shit.

I guess I should've actuall went and read it.

Well, I guess we should at least get on the phone and questionWHY only ROTC students are allowed? What a crock of shit. G*DDAMIT! My head's gonna explode.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Yeah I read this bill a long time ago. I'm sending a letter to the sponsor and my local representatives to NOT support this bill. It creates an unfair 'special class' of people that are allowed to carry firearms (more than the already 'special class' of people that the sheriff is buddies with)

I have major personal and political reasons to disapprove of standing armies (including the Army, Air Force, etc) and I will never associate myself with such organizations. To be forced to join such an organization to exercise my Federal and State constitutional rights is absurd. This actually bothers me more than having to get a pistol permit....

I think it makes alot more sense to modify the state preemption codes to simply apply to state universities. This would cover everything perfectly and with only one line of new 'code'.

acrimsontide

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Yeah I read this bill a long time ago. I'm sending a letter to the sponsor and my local representatives to NOT support this bill. It creates an unfair 'special class' of people that are allowed to carry firearms (more than the already 'special class' of people that the sheriff is buddies with)

I have major personal and political reasons to disapprove of standing armies (including the Army, Air Force, etc) and I will never associate myself with such organizations. To be forced to join such an organization to exercise my Federal and State constitutional rights is absurd. This actually bothers me more than having to get a pistol permit....

I think it makes alot more sense to modify the state preemption codes to simply apply to state universities. This would cover everything perfectly and with only one line of new 'code'.
I have no issues with standing armies, however in my opinion the bill should not limit the right to carry to ROTC students.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Agreed. But when you look at the ignorance on the part of LEOs we're dealing with, it's no surprise that an AL legislator doesn't know that the law already allows student carry. We just need clarification on Universities.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Well no matter what law is passed, I would expect universities to ignore it and still penalize students. In addition, once professors found out they would 'penalize' students with poor grades.

The university would rather pay fines/legal costs than let someone carry a firearm.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Yep. Even though this is an Open Carry website, the phrase "concealed is concealed" is becoming more and more attractive... There are only so many times you can see it happen elsewhere before you realize it really CAN happen to you. Afraid to go to school? I am.

kurtmax_0

imported post

If I carried at a university, even if I wouldn't get expelled I would carry concealed. Most of my assignments are graded subjectively and I don't need some wacko prof (or just 'prof' is enough ;)) docking points.

Kingfish

imported post

GaGunOwner wrote:
It is not illegal to carry on college campuses in Alabama, with a license, as we speak. Colleges can make policies against students and employees though.

Maybe in GA but not in AL, if this opinion would carry over to Universities.

This deals with a proposed city ordinance that would have prohibited city employees from carrying firearms AT WORK.

http://www.ago.alabama.gov/pdfopinions/2001-267.pdf

"The city of Decatur cannot adopt a policy prohibiting the possession of handguns."

hirundo82

imported post

Here's the relevant code:

Section 11-45-1.1
Subject matter of handguns reserved to State Legislature; power of municipality to adopt certain ordinances; concurrent jurisdiction of municipal courts with district courts.
No incorporated municipality shall have the power to enact any ordinance, rule, or regulation which shall tax, restrict, prevent, or in any way affect the possession or ownership of handguns by the citizens of this state. The entire subject matter of handguns is reserved to the State Legislature. This section shall not be construed to limit or restrict the power of a municipality to adopt ordinances which make the violation of a state handgun law a violation of a municipal ordinance to the same extent as other state law violations, or to limit or restrict the power of a municipal court to exercise concurrent jurisdiction with the district court over violations of state handgun laws which may be prosecuted as breaches of a municipal ordinance.

(Acts 1982, No. 82-442, p. 694, §1; Acts 1994, No. 94-635, p. 1195, §1.)
I don't know if this could be construed to cover colleges making rules against carry.

On one hand colleges aren't incorporated municipalities.

On the other, "The entire subject matter of handguns is reserved to the State Legislature," sounds pretty final.

Kingfish

imported post

GaGunOwner wrote:
If you are a visitor to a college campus in Alabama, I do notbelieve that you risk any type of legal arrest.
I really don't mean to bust your chops here, but an arrest is an arrest, legal or not.

And since Alabama is a MAY issue state and some counties have placed restricions on permit holders...I.E. "Your permit is void if you are arrested, on any charge."

A Sheriff that will place that restriction ON THE PERMIT itself...You think he is gonna issue you another one if you are arrested for carry on a college campus?

And I personally do not have the time or resources to fight an unlawful arrest. And I do not want it on my record.

Now, if you want to come over here and be a test case, you are more than welcome. Just do it in Lee County (Auburn) so when you win I can open carry when I visit my wife at school.

Kingfish

imported post

GaGunOwner wrote:
Is Alabama really so much of a police state that you are in constant fear of being arrested when you are not breaking the law?
Short answer...YES.
Long answer...
http://forum.alabamagunrights.org/viewtopic.php?id=16

It will never get better in Alabama until some people over there grow a pair and test the waters. That's how it happened in VA. Unlicensed open carry is legal in Alabama no matter what the cops say.
You are right. I didn't need that security clearance anyway.

Anyway...in many many ways you have it a lot better over there than we do over in GA. We have more off-limits places than any state that actually permits carry.
I am not doubting that for a second. I am fully aware about GA "laws".

Like you said Alabama is "may issue." I suppose that they could yank your CC license for open carry over there.
"Could"...Yeah. Could, can and WILL.

That said, if someone from a "shall issue" state such as GA, visits Alabama...what can the cops do if they open carry? Not much that I can see.
What does it matter where you are from...You can still get your face planted in the pavement with a boot on the back of your neck.

And by the way, we are doing something about it...

http://alabamagunrights.org/