• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Freaked Customer

AK47hero

I'm stocking shelves and notice a guy packing a revolver, not a big deal and continue with my work. about two minutes later a panicked customer comes to me and says "that guy over there has a gun"! I reply in a very courteous way "this is Idaho and everyone has a gun, it's legal in this state to carry". the customer gave me a dirty look like I was supposed to do something about it. I went back to work immediately and figured this ***** must be just another protectionist.

big store in Nampa

I do know how to spell ****** the page is censoring me

Last edited by a moderator:

HPmatt

... "that guy over there has a gun"! I reply in a very courteous way "this is Idaho and everyone has a gun, it's legal in this state to carry". .

The movie Miss Congeniality - Sandra Bullock jumps a guy in the crowd with a gun - Candice Bergen says 'Of course he had a gun. This is Texas, everybody has a gun. My florist has a gun'.

Shopper should have stayed back East where it is much safer with gun control /so

Eeyore

Shopper should have stayed back East where it is much safer with gun control /so

Generalizations are dangerous. Vermont is very much in the east, and it has Constitutional carry. Virginia has very reasonable gun laws, and it's in the east. Meanwhile, Texas (where "everybody has a gun") bans OC. So region is not necessarily an indicator.

OC for ME

Virginia is in the South. Some say Maryland is also in the South, I disagree. Easterners (yankees) and folks from Kalifornia do not necessarily speak to geography but mindset.

And Texas is a whole other country, just ask a Texan. ;)

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm stocking shelves and notice a guy packing a revolver, not a big deal and continue with my work. about two minutes later a panicked customer comes to me and says "that guy over there has a gun"! I reply in a very courteous way "this is Idaho and everyone has a gun, it's legal in this state to carry". the customer gave me a dirty look like I was supposed to do something about it. I went back to work immediately and figured this ***** must be just another protectionist.

big store in Nampa

Any type of censorship is bad, even if meant to be for good ..... good intentions, bad results.

You should have said "oh, that's just my brother ... I would not interact with him, he has a bad temper - killed 20 people last week" and then watch the panic set in...

Last edited:

Nicole Lynch

It's really amazing to me how a tool can cause such a frenzy in some folks... A few years ago I was taking an o/u shotgun into a pawn shop in Moscow to see what they'd give me for it and was carrying it down the sidewalk a block or two because parking is horrendous in that town and I couldn't park any closer. It was unloaded (of course) with the barrel open and was pointed safely at the ground. Looking back at it now, I probably should have had it in a case or taken the barrel off but I guess I assumed everyone would know that it wasn't loaded if they saw that the break was open and there was no shell in either of the barrels. You would have thought I was pointing it at the people around me from the way they reacted. They were holding their hands up, telling me not to shoot them. They were making all kinds of comments about the gun and were noticeably uncomfortable in its presence. I told more than one person that it wasn't loaded and even showed it to them. I guess I should have known that would happen being that I was in Moscow, but I was kind of taken aback at just how crazy people acted about an inanimate object. I guess when you grow up around them and are comfortable with guns, it's not such a big deal and you begin to assume others won't see it as a big deal either. Oops. I just feel bad for people who choose not to educate themselves about guns but react irrationally and fearfully to them instead.

Rusty Young Man

It's really amazing to me how a tool can cause such a frenzy in some folks... A few years ago I was taking an o/u shotgun into a pawn shop in Moscow to see what they'd give me for it and was carrying it down the sidewalk a block or two because parking is horrendous in that town and I couldn't park any closer. It was unloaded (of course) with the barrel open and was pointed safely at the ground. Looking back at it now, I probably should have had it in a case or taken the barrel off but I guess I assumed everyone would know that it wasn't loaded if they saw that the break was open and there was no shell in either of the barrels. You would have thought I was pointing it at the people around me from the way they reacted. They were holding their hands up, telling me not to shoot them. They were making all kinds of comments about the gun and were noticeably uncomfortable in its presence. I told more than one person that it wasn't loaded and even showed it to them. I guess I should have known that would happen being that I was in Moscow, but I was kind of taken aback at just how crazy people acted about an inanimate object. I guess when you grow up around them and are comfortable with guns, it's not such a big deal and you begin to assume others won't see it as a big deal either. Oops. I just feel bad for people who choose not to educate themselves about guns but react irrationally and fearfully to them instead.

First off, that is Long Gun OC, which is not to be discussed here unless the area prohibits handgun OC (which I really don't think is the case in Idaho). Just letting you know.
Secondly, welcome to OCDO (and greetings from AZ). Please read the forum rules to avoid making a bad first impression. Afterwards, hope you continue to contribute to the forum.
That being said, consider the fact that carrying it on your back with a sling would probably have been a better option than in-hand.

*EDIT 10 Dec.*
My intent and tone for this post were (quite understandably) misunderstood. Two weeks of not logging on only made this worse since I couldn't apologize. See post #21.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

big store in Nampa

Love it! (except the part where you chose to use more colorful language)
I had a very similar experience on my first day of OC: Home Depot, older Caucasian gentleman got all scared, African-American worker gave monosyllabic responses to his questions, 3 responses total. :cool: I've continued to patronize that particular establishment, and I refer other Freedom-loving Americans to the same. So, glad to hear you answered so matter-of-factly and courteously.

Nicole Lynch

First off, that is Long Gun OC, which is not to be discussed here unless the area prohibits handgun OC (which I really don't think is the case in Idaho). Just letting you know.
Secondly, welcome to OCDO (and greetings from AZ). Please read the forum rules to avoid making a bad first impression. Afterwards, hope you continue to contribute to the forum.
That being said, consider the fact that carrying it on your back with a sling would probably have been a better option than in-hand.

My apologies! I admittedly did not read the rules because I came here directly from the Idaho Open Carry site. I was only trying to relate to the reactions that people have about seeing a gun in plain sight. Thanks for letting me know about the Long Gun OC rule. :D

OC for ME

My apologies! I admittedly did not read the rules because I came here directly from the Idaho Open Carry site. I was only trying to relate to the reactions that people have about seeing a gun in plain sight. Thanks for letting me know about the Long Gun OC rule. :D
Gibbs' Rule #6. You were not talking about LGOC cuz you were not OCing a LG.

Welcome to OCDO.

Nicole Lynch

Thanks

Gibbs' Rule #6. You were not talking about LGOC cuz you were not OCing a LG.

Welcome to OCDO.

Right, which is why I thought it might be ok to share that story even though it was an over/under instead of a handgun, but no matter. I will absolutely go and check out the rules thread so no more mistakes are made. :)

CarryTheTruth

Right, which is why I thought it might be ok to share that story even though it was an over/under instead of a handgun, but no matter. I will absolutely go and check out the rules thread so no more mistakes are made. :)

Oh my FREAKIN GOSH! She mentioned a LOOOOOOONG GUUUN. Call the Long Gun Nazi's out. Shut down the forums. Quarantine the message boards.

OH, THE HUMANITY!!!!

>sniffle<

CarryTheTruth

CarryTheTruth

FIRST OFF: Say "Welcome".

SECOND OFF: Quit being so danged Nazi-like with "Long Gun OC ... is not to be discussed here".

Something more like: Hey, Nicole, it looks like you're new to OC.org and may not be aware of some of the forum rules, as I'm not certain you are aware that we only discuss handgun OC on forums unless that area prohibits it (but allows long gun OC). Thanks for taking some time to become familiar with OC.org's Forum Rules. Again, Welcome And, we look forward to future contributions from you.

THRID OFF: OK, the website is OpenCarry.org; not "OnlyOpenCarryHandgunsCanBeDiscussedUnlessProhibitedInThatArea.org".
In short, your "first impression" in slamming down on Nicole is the bad impression.

Nicole,
IdahoCarry.org has forums where you can post *anything* reasonable regarding *any* kind of carry, in or outside of Idaho.

That, and you are already a member of the Idaho Carry FB page; so, you're good to go there.

Oh, and I write and champion firearm laws throughout all of Idaho. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask if ya want non-legal commentary or opinion on such (cuz I'm not a lawyer...).

EDIT: Just read some of yer other posts & blogs online; don't mean to qualify you can't hold yer own; you obviously can.

CarryTheTruth

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No one slammed the OP - people were discussing the rules and no his mention of a long gun does not in and of itself constitute a violation, particulary in that he was carrying a handgun.

What the Forum Rule say is straight forward and easily understood:

• (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions which ban handgun carry but not long gun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

solus

whew, glad to see you are still with us grapeshot was worried you might have been replaced by the ADMINs cuz the way the AZ poster came in ranting and raving thinking they was in charge out here in the ethernet...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
whew, glad to see you are still with us grapeshot was worried you might have been replaced by the ADMINs cuz the way the AZ poster came in ranting and raving thinking they was in charge out here in the ethernet...

ipse

Still here and am now receiving OCDO fringe benefits (thanks John): free parking at any public library if there on "company business", no charge use of interstate highway rest stops, and can now log-on to OCDO at any hour of the day AND am allowed to eat while "working."

Psst - please don't tell John I do that last one, he might not approve :lol: