• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Galvan Plazza Ice Skating Rink in SLC

Utah_Patriot

I went to the Galvan Ice Skating Rink last night around 1800 to enjoy some Ice Skating with some friends.
I was on the Ice enjoying myself waiting for friends to show up when a CBI Security officer approached me inside and asked me for my CCW. I informed him I did not have to produce it but I would show it to him anyways.

The manager and the security officer asked me if I could put it somewhere I told the manager and the security officer I did not feel comfortable putting it in the locker and since I took trax I would leave it on.

I resumed Skating and meet up with some more friends was able to educate my friends on Utah law. Around 1930 I was approached by Salt Lake City Police.
I spoke with Officer S. Wolf with Salt Lake City Police. Who asked me for my ID I asked him if he was demanding my ID or asking for my ID. I then offered my Name,DOB and a explanation of my actions according to U.C.A 77-7-15. I explained to the officer it is not required that I carry my CCW Permit with me. I then Asked the Officer If I was free to go he stated I was not. I asked the Officer if I was under Arrest he stated "Yes" until I finish up with you. The detainment took around 15 to 20 Mins of my time.

Another Salt Lake City Officer then came over to me and stated I was free to go and that my firearm was legal. I left and went back to Ice Skating several people surrounding me were surprised to understand it was legal to carry a firearm out in the open.

I then filled a IA with the Sgt for SLCPD for the unlawful detainment by Officer S. Wolf with Salt Lake City Police department. I stated this detainment was unreasonable and unlawful. Also since SLCPD had a legal class on this subject that was Mandatory for all officers. I will also follow up with a civil rights violation complaint. And will address the Chiefs office on Monday in regards to this stop.

They stated the duration was to find out if Galvan plaza was a private business or a city owned property. I digress that they should have already known it was city property. The security Officer also made the statement he asked me to leave and I refused witch is entirely incorrect since it is city property and I was lawfully allowed to be their.

aadvark

Open Carry is LEGAL in Utah without a CCW so as long as there is NOT a Round of Ammuniton actually in The Barrel/ Chamber of The Firearm.
The Aforementioned Prohibitons ARE InApplicapble as against CCW Holders of Utah, or other States in which a Concealed Handgun Permit has been Granted. [OMIT]
In Utah, Open Carry, or Licensed Concealed Carry, IS LEGAL in, on, or within ALL Non-Secure Public Property, which; for CCW Holders Carry is also LEGAL in Public Schools for ALL Ages and Grades.

How is it that I..., as a Georgian, know this..., BUT some People in Utah do not!

Last edited:

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
...States in which Utah has Reciprocity with under The Utah Attorney Generals Office.
Just a note... Our Attorney General has nothing to do with our reciprocity, our legislature has decided it.

76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws.

(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
(a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
(b) by another state or county.

jpm84092

Formal Written Reciprocity

Just a note... Our Attorney General has nothing to do with our reciprocity, our legislature has decided it.

True enough for the part about Utah recognizing all valid permits from other States, that is by legislative action, but Utah also has formal written reciprocity with AL, AK (no permit needed), CO, FL, GA, LA, MS, NH, NC, ND, OH, SD, TX, VA, WA, and WV. I assume through the Attorney General, but I do not know that.

These States recognize Utah's permit without formal written reciprocity: AZ (no permit needed), AR, DE, ID, IN, KY, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, OK, PN, TN, VT (no permit needed), WY. (And after 1-1-11, IA will recognize a UT CFP.) Even though AK has gone to Constitutional Carry, their permit system remains in place and the UT-AK written agreement remains valid.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Open Carry is LEGAL in Utah without a CCW so as long as there is NOT a Round of Ammuniton actually in The Barrel/ Chamber of The Firearm.
The Aforementioned Prohibitons ARE InApplicapble as against CCW Holders of Utah, or other States in which a Concealed Handgun Permit has been Granted. [OMIT]
In Utah, Open Carry, or Licensed Concealed Carry, IS LEGAL in, on, or within ALL Non-Secure Public Property, which; for CCW Holders Carry is also LEGAL in Public Schools for ALL Ages and Grades.

How is it that I..., as a Georgian, know this..., BUT some People in Utah do not!

I assume that your tag line in the above quote is NOT directed toward Gunfreak as I know of a certainty that he is very aware of the Utah laws..... He could and has attempted to correct the MISREMEMBERING of certain persons in Law Enforcement that we actually performing OPINION ENFORCEMENT in this area!

AND...

Actually, to be more accurate, Aadvark, the loaded open carry without a permit is ONLY prohibited in certain locations. Look specifically to 76-10-505 (1)(a),(b),(c).See this Utah statute---http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_050500.htm

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

So loaded OPEN carry without a permit is legal as long as you are:
1: 18 years or older in a vehicle of which you have lawful possession OR with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle (as in a passenger may carry with consent of the driver)OR
2:NOT on a public street OR
3:Not in a posted Prohibited area

Understand, Utah has listed by statute those areas that are prohibited (http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE53/htm/53_05_071000.htm). Generally, signs posted at areas NOT on Utah's prohibited list are NOT ENFORCEABLE as to Firearms violation but may be prosecuted as a trespass provided certain other conditions are met.

And I am not a lawyer or an attorney. This IS my opinion only and is not legal advice. This information is worth exactly what you have paid for it... NOTHING. Your mileage may vary!

Last edited: