• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gay Pride 2016 wants to ban OC

zaitz

Banned
I have no link, but I am watching this live on KIRO 7. Gay Pride 2016 wants to ban OC during their festival this year 6/25-26. They complained that SPD did nothing about OC during the 2015 event. OK, we support you, and you want to ban us? If I'm not mistaken, I would call that hypocrisy? I help fight for your rights, but you won't support our rights??????? I'm more confused now. Once again equality only means you are equal if you believe in things that they do (CC only, LGBT, Dem, Rep, etc.) WTF. Rant complete.

I have a question

Lets suppose that you or some of you wish to "normalize" the open carry of firearms and/or to spread the news of the use of carry or open carry.

It seems to me that you have dozens of opportunities and you could live without this one. I walk nearly nude at Greenlake, and now, after 3 years, it is accepted and others who wish sunbathe in a thong or topless.

There are plenty of parades and there are plenty of people catching the bus downtown during the evening commute and there are races and events. A person who wishes can, in many instances, simply circulate among the people.

In the case of the Gay pride parade, you can open carry, it seems to me, as a spectator to the parade, and simply, as a spectator, prior to and during the parade, walk among the people on the sidewalk.

Whether or not you folks did open carry last year at the Seattle center itself is not clear to me. I could be wrong, but unless they are at the gates and checking people for weapons and only allowing you in if you pass, then, I think you can walk in. I don't think you need the permission of the gay pride people to walk onto Seattle Center while open carrying.

there are marches and there are parades. One or the other of them has permission to control the persons or groups who are part of the parade or march and supposedly, I have heard, the other does not.

I also suspect you can walk down the street prior to the official start of the parade while doing open carry--at least until a patrol officer asks you to move to the sidewalk.

Every weekend day in the summer there will be a thousand or so people at Greenlake walking. Every weekday downtown from 3 to 6 there are thousands at bus stops.

Mainsail

I have a question

Lets suppose that you or some of you wish to "normalize" the open carry of firearms and/or to spread the news of the use of carry or open carry.

It seems to me that you have dozens of opportunities and you could live without this one. I walk nearly nude at Greenlake, and now, after 3 years, it is accepted and others who wish sunbathe in a thong or topless.

There are plenty of parades and there are plenty of people catching the bus downtown during the evening commute and there are races and events. A person who wishes can, in many instances, simply circulate among the people.

In the case of the Gay pride parade, you can open carry, it seems to me, as a spectator to the parade, and simply, as a spectator, prior to and during the parade, walk among the people on the sidewalk.

Whether or not you folks did open carry last year at the Seattle center itself is not clear to me. I could be wrong, but unless they are at the gates and checking people for weapons and only allowing you in if you pass, then, I think you can walk in. I don't think you need the permission of the gay pride people to walk onto Seattle Center while open carrying.

there are marches and there are parades. One or the other of them has permission to control the persons or groups who are part of the parade or march and supposedly, I have heard, the other does not.

I also suspect you can walk down the street prior to the official start of the parade while doing open carry--at least until a patrol officer asks you to move to the sidewalk.

Every weekend day in the summer there will be a thousand or so people at Greenlake walking. Every weekday downtown from 3 to 6 there are thousands at bus stops.
I guess some folks aren't aware, or have long forgotten, that OC in Washington was not always like it is now. In the early days we were cuffed, threatened, lectured, and threatened some more for good measure.

The OC movement was started by a gay man who wanted to OC at pride events as a warning to would-be gay bashers. If you want to thank someone for the caviler way we can now openly carry, thank him.

Last edited:

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
I guess some folks aren't aware, or have long forgotten, that OC in Washington was not always like it is now. In the early days we were cuffed, threatened, lectured, and threatened some more for good measure.

The OC movement was started by a gay man who wanted to OC at pride events as a waning to would-be gay bashers. If you want to thank someone for the caviler way we can now openly carry, thank him.

Well said and a tip 'o the hat to you both.

zaitz

Banned

The OC movement was started by a gay man who wanted to OC at pride events as a waning to would-be gay bashers. If you want to thank someone for the caviler way we can now openly carry, thank him.

what is your documentation, if any, for that assertion, if I may ask?

Jeff Hayes

what is your documentation, if any, for that assertion, if I may ask?

Do a bit of reading in the old threads the history will do you some good.

Please do not open up threads that are old.

When I first started to OC back in 2007 we never knew if we were going to be arrested, detained, cuffed or harassed by LE.

Some of us challenged unlawful laws like Spokane's no guns in city parks by having an OC picnic and calling the TV stations and newspapers to tell them what we were going to do.

Some of us went to City Council meetings OCing even when we were threatened with arrest if we did.

Some of us OC every day and have for years.

Years ago like Mainsail said OC was a lot different and not for the faint of heart, respect people like Mainsail, Gray Peterson and a whole host of others, you know who you are, that were out in front of most of us and paved the way.

zaitz

Banned
Do a bit of reading in the old threads the history will do you some good.

Please do not open up threads that are old.

When I first started to OC back in 2007 we never knew if we were going to be arrested, detained, cuffed or harassed by LE.

Some of us challenged unlawful laws like Spokane's no guns in city parks by having an OC picnic and calling the TV stations and newspapers to tell them what we were going to do.

Some of us went to City Council meetings OCing even when we were threatened with arrest if we did.

Some of us OC every day and have for years.

Years ago like Mainsail said OC was a lot different and not for the faint of heart, respect people like Mainsail, Gray Peterson and a whole host of others, you know who you are, that were out in front of most of us and paved the way.

when I search for gray or grey peterson open carry I see that there was a group that did some highway cleanup while oc in around 2009.

That was five years after the court decision in state v Casad which said that a man open carrying a rifle did not constitute sufficient reason to arrest or even detain him.

back in 2009, a federal judge began to make rulings in favor of a New Mexico man who was oc and who was wrongfully detained and given unauthorized orders by some NM police.

But thanks to some of you for being pioneers . . . and I am reading an article in the Seattle Weekly on the topic and apparently this Gray Peterson was in fact an important pioneer and the article says,

When in Seattle, he doesn't want to worry about getting assaulted just because he and his partner are holding hands. "There are attacking thugs going into Capitol Hill to bash gays, and police are only there to mop up after the fact. "He says that by openly carrying, he is able to avert confrontation because criminals, seeing the handle of his semi-automatic jutting out of its holster, leave him alone. If he concealed the weapon—like most open-carriers, he has a concealed pistol license—Peterson feels he is more likely to get into a confrontation which will result in him having to draw his weapon.

zaitz

Banned
Gray Peterson is a Founder's Club Member member of OCDO - joined 5/12/2006.

You may search his posts via his profile.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/member.php?26429-Gray-Peterson

How interesting. I see that this fellow is still posting . . . and that

I started a thread a few weeks ago in which solus was highly irritated with me, and that Gray stood up for my opening post!

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?132433-among-the-most-restrictive-in-the-USA

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
Gray Peterson is a Founder's Club Member member of OCDO - joined 5/12/2006.

You may search his posts via his profile.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/me...-Gray-Peterson

How interesting. I see that this fellow is still posting . . . and that

I started a thread a few weeks ago in which solus was highly irritated with me, and that Gray stood up for my opening post!

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?132433-among-the-most-restrictive-in-the-USA
Gray Peterson is also a Moderator, but I do not see where he posted or intervened in that thread.