• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Giffords Shootng Rumor: did an armed citizen engage the suspect?

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
The rumor is that an armed citizen, possibly OCing, either tackled and/or shot at the suspect. The forums are going back and forth.
Are there any official reports or reliable reports from local or national news outlets that confirm or deny this rumor? Any reliable links to this information?

MK

One of the bystanders who helped subdue him said in an interview on CNN that he was armed but he never brandished his weapon or used it any way. He said he didn't realize that the shooter was also armed with a knife and it shook him a bit to see that when the police emptied his pockets. He mentioned that he didn't realize he may have been in danger due to the guy still having a knife on him. He also said the police removed a couple of ammo mags from his pocket too.

this is just my general recollection of the interviewie's comments.

Last edited:

KBCraig

I think right now it's all just hearsay... give it a day or two and allow the authorities to conduct their investigation and we will know by then.
If we depend on the news coverage, we might never know.

Everyone in America knows about Columbine and Virginia Tech. How many know about Pearl, Mississippi; the Appalachian School of Law; or, Edinboro, Pennsylvania? All three were the scenes of school shootings (two high schools, one graduate school), and in all three cases people who weren't allowed to have guns on campus armed themselves and either stopped or took part in stopping the shooter. There was one employee, two students, and one local businessman, and all of them stepped up, with guns, and ended the confrontation without further gunfire.

Good luck learning any of that from news accounts at the time. It's hard enough to find details with a google search.

One of the most notorious campus shootings before Columbine was the University of Texas tower sniper. Not only did ordinary armed citizens contribute counter-fire to keep Whitman's head down, the actual assault on his position was conducted by three police officers and one ordinary citizen. If not for the 1975 TV movie starring Kurt Russell, I doubt many people would know anything at all about Alan Crum.

eye95

Everyone in America knows about Columbine and Virginia Tech. How many know about Pearl, Mississippi; the Appalachian School of Law; or, Edinboro, Pennsylvania? All three were the scenes of school shootings (two high schools, one graduate school), and in all three cases people who weren't allowed to have guns on campus armed themselves and either stopped or took part in stopping the shooter. There was one employee, two students, and one local businessman, and all of them stepped up, with guns, and ended the confrontation without further gunfire...

One common thread in all three stories is that the good guys did not fire a shot. The mere presence of a gun in the hands of a good guy stopped the shooting.

Dreamer

Just announced by the Pima Co. Sheriff, the gunman was stopped when, as Loughner tried to reload, a WOMAN grabbed his fresh magazine and wrenched it form his hands, allowing other people to tackle and subdue Loughner.

The woman's name is Patricia Maisch.

This woman is a brave, fast-thinking, and HEROIC citizen, indeed...

Last edited:

Dreamer

Paul Helmke is on Fox right now, spewing lies, FUD and propaganda...

However, John Lott is also on the same segment, and calls Hemlke out for his lies, propaganda, and BS.

The fact that Paul Helmke would use this tragedy to further his agenda is just further proof of his sociopathy...

eye95

Everyone in America knows about Columbine and Virginia Tech. How many know about Pearl, Mississippi; the Appalachian School of Law; or, Edinboro, Pennsylvania? All three were the scenes of school shootings (two high schools, one graduate school), and in all three cases people who weren't allowed to have guns on campus armed themselves and either stopped or took part in stopping the shooter. There was one employee, two students, and one local businessman, and all of them stepped up, with guns, and ended the confrontation without further gunfire...

One common thread in all three stories is that the good guys did not fire a shot. The mere presence of a gun in the hands of a good guy stopped the shooting.

Have you actually read the news, eye95?

She was SHOT IN THE HEAD.

[Edited to remove the personal attack.]

Did you read the post to which I was replying??? (I quoted it above again for your convenience.) I was not talking about the shooting in AZ. I was replying to a message about school shootings that were stopped cold by the presence of an armed LAC.

Your personal attacks were not only uncivil, they were based on a complete misread of my post.

Oh, BTW, am I off your one-man ignore list? Or are you peeking?

PT111

One of the most notorious campus shootings before Columbine was the University of Texas tower sniper. Not only did ordinary armed citizens contribute counter-fire to keep Whitman's head down, the actual assault on his position was conducted by three police officers and one ordinary citizen. If not for the 1975 TV movie starring Kurt Russell, I doubt many people would know anything at all about Alan Crum.

I remember back when it happened both the police and newscasters telling about how average citizens came to the rescue of the police with guns that could reach the top of the tower. I don't know what kinds were involved with either the police or the ones the civilians brought in however the movies I have seen about it did not talk about it nearly as much as those discussing it during and after it happened. That incident immediately led to changes in what equipment was being issued to LEO.

eye95

Confirmed: An Armed Citizen DID Engage the Shooter.

Fox News interviewed one of the men who took down the killer. He stated that he was armed and went to draw his firearm when he noticed the slide locked back on the shooter's weapon. He chose not to use deadly force and instead, with the assistance of others, subdued the bad guy.

Just one more reason for a firearms-literate public: not only are we better able to defend ourselves and others, but we are more likely to do so with the appropriate amount of force than the unarmed and uneducated are.

Last edited:

Sheriff

Latest I have read....

Pima Co. Sheriff Clarence Dupnik says Patricia Maisch (MAYSH) was waiting in line with her husband to get a photo with Giffords. When the shooting started, she ran up to the suspect and grabbed the empty magazine, then grabbed a full magazine as he was loading it into the gun.

Two men helped subdue the suspect — Roger Sulzgeber (SULZ-gay-ber), who was also in line, and Joseph Zimudie (Zah-MOO-die), who was at a nearby Walgreens and heard the shooting.

Dreamer

Just one more reason for a firearms-literate public: not only are we better able to defend ourselves and others, but we are more likely to do so with the appropriate amount of force than the unarmed and uneducated are.

And we're a LOT more likely to use appropriate levels of force in response to an attack than the POLICE too, if the recent story from Baltimore MD is any indicator...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2011/01/brother_says_police_overreacte.html

C

coolfrmn

Fox News interviewed one of the men who took down the killer. He stated that he was armed and went to draw his firearm when he noticed the slide locked back on the shooter's weapon. He chose not to use deadly force and instead, with the assistance of others, subdued the bad guy.

Here is the link for the interview with the legally armed citizen who helped take down the shooter. He was legally CC.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/01/08/exp.az.zamudio.witness.cnn?hpt=T1

To add to this here is the link of the Fox News interview with the father of the girl who died. He states his little girl would NOT want more restrictions put on Americans because of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj47lB1a-0Y

MDA_II

Good for Joe Zamudio, he was articulate and clear in his personal use of force policy.

This needs to be circulated as much as possible because the mainstream news media will NOT make a case or justification for concealed or open carry. They will continue to gloss over this, as Wolf Blitzer did (although rightfully, the story was not centered around Mr. Zamudio carrying a weapon for self defense.) and will begin o soon start the war drums for more gun control, as the Congresswoman from NY State is already doing.

Stay vigilant