• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gotta question for some Okies's

Okie_Boy_91

Hey yall, I was just wondering if any of yall that live in Oklahoma City OC with just the level 1 retention holster? Just wondering if I was crazy and the only one who carried like that lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm not from Oklahoma, but several of my favorite holsters have no retention other than a nice, tight fit. Situational awareness is much more important IMO.

OTOH - I do not like nor would I carry a generic, one size fits many, nylon holster.

Okie_Boy_91

I'm not from Oklahoma, but several of my favorite holsters have no retention other than a nice, tight fit. Situational awareness is much more important IMO.

OTOH - I do not like nor would I carry a generic, one size fits many, nylon holster.
I agree 100% that SA is number 1 on the list, and also I do not like the universal nylon holsters, thats a accident waitin to happen . I've got a kydex pj holster for my shield and it's got pretty tight retention.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've been tempted to get a serpa myself lol hear their good if you've got a noggin lol.
I kinda hedged by bet at first to make the point about situational awareness.

While I do not automatically discount other high-quality holsters, I must admit that my EDC 1911, does reside in a Serpa holster - net result is that 100% of my OC is in a retention holster, while an extremely small amount of CC is either in said Serpa or a very nice Galco for a compact Star M40. CC is not my routine - I only do so for most weddings and funerals (discretion/consideration) and/or when the property owner does not allow OC and my presence is not a matter of choice.

Okie_Boy_91

I kinda hedged by bet at first to make the point about situational awareness.

While I do not automatically discount other high-quality holsters, I must admit that my EDC 1911, does reside in a Serpa holster - net result is that 100% of my OC is in a retention holster, while an extremely small amount of CC is either in said Serpa or a very nice Galco for a compact Star M40. CC is not my routine - I only do so for most weddings and funerals (discretion/consideration) and/or when the property owner does not allow OC and my presence is not a matter of choice.
So you primarily carry in the serpa? Am I reading that right? As for my OP I was referring to a serpa being level 2 retention and just a friction holster being level 1. Just wondering if anybody carried just level 1 retention when OC, depending on the situation that day of course. I CC quite often but recently just started OC because of hotter weather and the ease and comfort of it and because Merica! Though I feel if I will be in high populated areas (crowds and tight filled spaces) I will conceal and or with weddings and such for discretion and consideration like you mentioned.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I live in a semi-rural area and if just carrying around town shopping and stuff sometimes I'll OC level 1 if that's the holster/sidearm handy. But if I'm going somewhere at all crowded, even shopping at busy times, I only OC with a retention holster. If it is very crowded I usually CC unless it is an OC event of course. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How do you like the serpa?
I pick the best (Serpa) and leave the rest.

Only one kydex holster could be considered better/stronger - the Safariland - and it is a duty style that projects too far from my hip. Also do not like the required release procedure.

Okie_Boy_91

I pick the best (Serpa) and leave the rest.

Only one kydex holster could be considered better/stronger - the Safariland - and it is a duty style that projects too far from my hip. Also do not like the required release procedure.
Yea I've looked at the Safariland holsters and it looks like it would protrude quite largely. With the serpa you could conceal it if you had too. Pretty solid holsters. But just wonderingif it would be worth the money to buy it since I already have an owb holster. On a budget so..:banghead: lol

Arin Morris

Yea I've looked at the Safariland holsters and it looks like it would protrude quite largely. With the serpa you could conceal it if you had too. Pretty solid holsters. But just wonderingif it would be worth the money to buy it since I already have an owb holster. On a budget so..:banghead: lol

I carry a Springfield XDM in a Safariland holster. It sits out quite far and you'll only be concealing it with a coat.

hrdware

Hey yall, I was just wondering if any of yall that live in Oklahoma City OC with just the level 1 retention holster? Just wondering if I was crazy and the only one who carried like that lol

I used to have a Ruger P90 that I carried in a Galco friction holster all over OKC/Edmond/Moore. No other retention involved. Did that for 3 years, it was the same holster I used to CC with prior to OC becoming legal. Had to replace my P90 and got a Ruger SR45. Carried in the same holster for awhile but really wasn't comfortable with doing that since the holster was not made for the SR45. Got a Safariland for the SR45, one where the release is done with the index finger as you wrap the grip with your hand.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I used to have a Ruger P90 that I carried in a Galco friction holster all over OKC/Edmond/Moore. No other retention involved. Did that for 3 years, it was the same holster I used to CC with prior to OC becoming legal. Had to replace my P90 and got a Ruger SR45. Carried in the same holster for awhile but really wasn't comfortable with doing that since the holster was not made for the SR45. Got a Safariland for the SR45, one where the release is done with the index finger as you wrap the grip with your hand.
Blackhawk Serpa utilizes an index finger activated release which locks on the trigger guard.

To my knowledge, Safariland only uses a thumb button release which locks on the ejection port of a semi-auto.

hrdware

Blackhawk Serpa utilizes an index finger activated release which locks on the trigger guard.

To my knowledge, Safariland only uses a thumb button release which locks on the ejection port of a semi-auto.

Safariland has a Grip Lock System line of holsters: https://www.safariland.com/category-landing/gls-holsters.html

I looked at serpa holsters but they didn't have one that I could find for the Ruger SR45. Stumbled across the Safariland and picked that up instead. In short, your index finger trips the release when you wrap your hand around the grip to draw.