• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Richmond OC reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Started my day by satisfying my craving for country ham bisquits at Bojangles on Rt. 60 in Powhatan.

Shopped at JoANN Fabric and Crafts in Merchants Walk Shopping Center, Broad St., Richmond.

Made a stop at the Chesterfield Courts Building on Ironbridge Rd to check on the status of my CHP renewal. Was mailed yesterday - 3 week turn around.

Had an early dinner at KFC in Powhatan. I must try to get to Lee's Chicken soon - much better.

All went quietly well - I will not be eating cold beans and franks for breakfast.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
This afternoon I met with a senior administrative member of the Chesterfield Fire Department. He was a little surprised that I had such a problem but didn't want to make an official statement yet. He is contacting the county attorney and I shoud have something more tangible within a few days. Stay tuned.

[video=youtube;2t_U2NSkVRo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t_U2NSkVRo[/video]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Leaving no tern unstoned, I started my day with bisquits--n-gravy at Hardee's on Midlothian.

Then to the barbershop with no name next to Putt-putt. My favorite barber there has his pistol in his barber tool box.

Stopped at Discount Medical on Boulevard to make a small purchase.

Had lunch at Lee's Famous Chicken across the parking lot from the old Pleasant's Hardware on Broad St. Best chicken in Richmond IMO.

Then transversed to B.J.'s Wholesale Club on Starling Dr. to amke an inquiry at the customer service desk and get gas.

Lastly went to Walmart on Sheila Lane off Forest Hill to pick up some new blue jeans.

OC'd from the time I left the house until I returned. No road blocks, no traffic checks, just smooth sailing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
mate, did you talk to the station chief, or assistant, about the issue?

Intend to go to the top at the Chesterfield government center.
--snipped--

This afternoon I met with a senior administrative member of the Chesterfield Fire Department. He was a little surprised that I had such a problem but didn't want to make an official statement yet. He is contacting the county attorney and I shoud have something more tangible within a few days. Stay tuned.

Received response from Deputy Fire Chief Rick Edinger:

"It was nice to speak with you on Thursday, August 24 and as promised, I have done research on your open carry question regarding weapons in County facilities. In short, the firefighter that you spoke with at the fire station while seeking directions erred in asking you to leave your weapon in your vehicle, as you have stated. Chesterfield County follows the Commonwealth of Virginia open carry statues and private citizens, who are compliant with open carry regulations, are permitted to do so in County facilities.

I will take steps to better educate our personnel. If you have any further questions my contact information is as noted."

Sooo, I got the right answer for the wrong reason(s). There are no open carry statutes or open carry regulations. OC is legal in that it not barred or otherwise made illegal.

This is what he missed:
§ 15.2-915
Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies

"No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute"

https://vacode.org/2016/15.2/II/9/1/15.2-915/

Last edited:

DoubleTap

I must chime in here with a personal note - You never give up fighting for your rights and educating many folks along the way - Good for you, Grape.

You are rocking and rolling out there and it is wonderful to hear about all of your outings and then to read about them on OCDO.

You ride on.....again and again and again. What a blessing that is. You are back to living your life to the fullest after many months of recuperating from your health issues. You are truly amazing.

DoubleTap:banana:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I must chime in here with a personal note - You never give up fighting for your rights and educating many folks along the way - Good for you, Grape.

You are rocking and rolling out there and it is wonderful to hear about all of your outings and then to read about them on OCDO.

You ride on.....again and again and again. What a blessing that is. You are back to living your life to the fullest after many months of recuperating from your health issues. You are truly amazing.

DoubleTap:banana:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Today, Saturday, took me to the Walmarts on Rt. 60 and the one on Sheila Rd after breakfast at Bojangles.

DoubleTap and I had a nice dinner at O'Charlies on Forest Hill then went to Office Max to have my renewal CHP laminated.

Gave DT a supply of the VCDL carry cards so that she can distribute them when the occasion arises.

Time sure does fly when you're having fun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
First stop was at Bojangles. Best bisquits in Virginia IMO.

Next to Auto Zone in Powhatan for light bulbs and new steering wheel cover.

Also swung into Goodwill behind AZ where a scored some brand new shirts for next to nothing.

Heading back to the barn, I realized I had missed the Halmark store. Pulled off onto the shoulder with my flashers on to check the location. As I completed that task, a VSP tropper pulled in behind me. Was primarily checking to see if I needed any help. He noticed my dash cam and inquired, "What is that?" (He knew) I replied, "It's for you to see when the guy in front of me does something wrong and lies about it." He chortled and nodded. No question about whether I had or didn't have a gun - my hands were out the window.

Found the Halmark store - unfortunately they did not have the item I sought.

All in all a good day of OCing as anticipated. No unwanted wrist jewelry.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Bojangles for bisquits n gravy as is befitting on this rainy, chilly morning. Two Powhatan Sheriff Deputies eating inside couldn't have cared less that I was OCing with my hammer back.

Went by the local Food Lion to pick up a pack of light bulbs for the front porch.

Rainy weather can be quite pleasant.....indoors.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Repeat start to my day at Bojangles.

Met DoubleTap at the Hearing Aid Store where she gained some insight as to what I need to do to improve my hearing. Had a conversation with a pleasant gentleman who said he had a Beretta 9mm. I asked him if it was a 92F - he said he liked guns but didn't know much about them and didn't have a permit. Thought that was strange, but explained to him that one doesn't need a CHP to OC.

Then to SunTrust bank to wrap up some business. I CCd there as they have 'rules'. Very likely I will be opening an account at another bank.

Next we went to a shop behind the hearing aid place called the Cheese Roll - very small and quaint sandwich shop, but I was in the mood for something other than a sandwich.

Instead of sandwiches, we ate at the KFC/Long John Silvers on Patterson.

Went by DoubleTap's mother's house where she stayed while I got gas at BJ's and over to Walmart on Parham Rd.

Save for the bank, I OCd throughout the day with narry a complaint.

Some might ask why from one day to the next do I report the same firms/locations? It's simple really - anyone reading these reports will have previously tested locations, known friendly faces.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
After getting my country ham biscuit fix, I made several stops to line up repairs, renovations in the process of restoring my 2nd gen Ram:
Jim's Transmissions on Murray Olds Ct, Miller's Auto Center on Midlothian Trpk - both in Midlothian - and at One Stop Auto Repair near the Toyota dealership on Midlothian.

Also was in CVS at Providence and Midlothian and picked of my jacket after having a new zipper installed by Cleaner/Tailor in the Kroger shopping center in Midlothian.

Following the instructions on the notice taped to the door of the old location of the American Diner, I went to Pocono Crossing shopping center to check out their new location. The address given is actually for Burlington (10400 Midlothian). Went in a Plus Size ladies shop to see what they might know - no knowledge of a new restaurant getting ready to open Sept 1st.

Very busy day with multiple stops all while OCing - did not stampede any ladies, nor frighten any horses.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
By now you must know where I start my morning tarriance. Today was no different and I OCd throughout the day.

Left BoJ's and swung by Miller's Auto Care in Midlothian,

Then to Ray's Upholstry off of Research Rd, he talks my language.
Also walked though a shop next door to Ray's that specializes in Amercana/Country items - the funny part is that most of the merchandise was made in China.

Next on my agenda was Burlington in Pocono Crossing shopping center. They didn't have what I wanted.

Had lunch at Denny's behind Sheetz. Was told that they had missed me lately.

From there to the Dodge/Ram dealership on Midlothian to check on a few miscellanious parts availability. Another customer asked me if that was a 1911? "Sure is" - to which he simple commented, "Nice."

On the way back to the barn, I stopped to pick up a few groceries at Food Lion.

Danced between the rain drops, flipping my jacket from CC in the dash from the truck to the building entrance, then back to OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
On this beautiful liquid sunshine filled day, I took my son and grandson to Bojangles. Three generations of Grapes eating together with two of them OCing..:D

We also stopped in Murphy's next door to BoJ's and Food Lion before heading back to the barn.

Going to spend some time relaxing and digesting the special, super sized country ham biscuit that they made for me when the first one did not meet standards..
icon14.png
mormoriartiarmamentsiartiarmaments

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
BoJ's for my country ham biscuit fix - 2 Powhatan sheriff deputies took notice of my purdy 1911 and smiled.

DoubleTap and I are meeting for lunch at Golden Corral on Providence Rd about 2:00pm - will both be OCing.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yesterday DoubleTap and I did a threefer in Powhatan. Went to Bojangles, Murphy's Mart, and GoodWill.

At Murphy's happened to see member/user 67GT390FB who was there to get diesel fuel for his truck. Good thing it runs on diesel, because Murphy's was out of gasoline! Hope we do not end up with the gas shortages and inherent lines of the past. Can't complain about high prices when the is none to be had.

At GoodWill we experienced no problems even when I requested opening/unlocking the high end merchandise case. We both scored virtually new coats at absurdly low prices.

Great to be OCing in Virginia.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Began my OC day at Bojangle's, then to O'Reilly's auto parts across Midlothian Trnk from Burlington.

Went to the Hull Street Outlet on Jefferson Davis. Love that place - everything from camo netting to Russian uniforms. Quality used office furniture too.

Ate lunch at KFC/Taco Bell on Jeff Davis.

Finished up at Miller's Detail Shop - the owner wants to attend our Sept OC dinner.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Chomped down on a country ham biscuit at BoJ's.

Then motored over to SunTrust on W. Broad St. to withdraw a better part of my account there. SunTrust has steadfastly refused to back off their no guns policy except for LEOs.

Stopped at the Verizon Store to have my bill explained to me and check on several pieces of support equipment.

Then the best stop of the day at Bank of America on Meadowdale Blvd. where the security officer did not even blink at my purdy 1911. Set up a new account there and got my temp Visa card activated.

Will be setting up a 2nd account at Wells Fargo in the next few days. They have come a long way since the early days of Wachovia.

No need to say, "Mother may I?" Just OC and smile a lot....:D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Except for BoJ's, the rest of the day was disaster.
My cell phone and GPS failed me when I needed them the most. Missed an important doctor's appointment and could not communicate with them.

Tomorrow will be a better day. Will OC everywhere except at the doctor's office and Social Security office. Oh how I do detest going to the SS office.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Turns out that Verizon had issues and was out of service until about 4:00 pm.
And guess what? Social Security offices are not open on Sat. Time passes fast when you are having fun

Also went to St Francis emergency care while discretely carrying. Wanted to get my meds, but be protected.

Did get by SunTrust and closed out my personal account while discretely CCing. Will open accounts with banks more understanding of the 2nd Amen - Bank of America and Wells Fargo - then all of my banking will be accomplised OCing.

Last edited: