• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun control bill in Gov. Brown's hands - LA Times

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-guns-20110917,0,6149742.story

A jewel from the article...
"People in other states look to see what California does,'' Brian Malte, director for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence said. If Brown signs the bill, "other states will follow suit.''

Oh- so you really believe that more than 40 other states will follow California in prohibiting exposed arms, in direct opposition to the national trend of loosening gun restrictions following Heller and McDonald... Really?

If AB144 is signed into law, California will remain a minority; an island of 2nd amendment restricting tyranny.

Another juicy tidbit;
Asked last year about a bill similar to Portantino's, Brown told the Contra Costa Times, a Bay Area newspaper, "I want to know how many abuses there have been" that justify the bill. He added, "I always look with some skepticism on changing the way things have been done."

If Brown is going to gauge his response on how many abuses there have been by open carriers over the past decade, he will likely come up with two, possibly three that resulted in an arrest related to a violation of 626.9- Will he use this as a justification to sign AB144 when there is already a law on the books to address firearms in proximity of schools?

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
If your governor does veto AB144, are there enough votes in the legislature for a veto override?

In order to override Governor Brown's veto, the bill would have to be passed with a 2/3rds vote from each house. The state Assembly passed AB144 on concurrence 48/30 and the Senate passed it 21/18. To pass with 2/3rds the Assembly would need 52 aye votes and the Senate would need 26 aye votes.

I doubt that if Brown vetoed the bill there would be sufficient support in both houses to ensure passage.

The Senate consists of 25 Dems and 15 Repubs- in addition to getting the three Dem pro-gun votes to flip, they would need two additional Republicans to defect.

The Assembly consists of 50 Dems, 1 Independent, and 27 Repubs- Again a similar flip would be necessary, making necessary for 2 Dems and 2 conservatives to defect.

This is why it is essential to write the governor now to urge a veto-

WCrawford

Glad to hear that a veto override would probably be unsuccessful.

While I did email your governor to encourage a veto, I'm not sure an out of state resident will carry much wieght.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk