• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun show etiquette question...

eyesopened

imported post

I attended the last Nation's Show and as everyone knows, weapons inside are zip tied. Well I ran into a friend I had not seen in a while and didn't realize he was into firearms. He saw my EMP on my hip and asked if he could see it. I hesitated for a second, but then drew it out of the holster so he could hold it. I figured the gun was zip tied and this was a gun show so someone holding a firearm out of a holster wouldn't be a big deal. So I took it out of the holster and let him fondle it. Later on I had told another friend about it, and he asked if that was a good idea to take it out of the holster in public like that? I told him I normally wouldn't do that anywhere else, but it was inside of a gun show and figured no one would really bat an eye. I've seen guys walking around with long gunsin their hands or 4 sale,even people walking around with buy me stickers on their holster on their hips so this atmosphere is ripe with people handling weapons in a "controlled" environment. Was I in the wrong?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I would say not. Some of the shows I have been to you can carry inside, so if that was the case I would say otherwise.

But as long as all weapons are ziptied I think you were in the clear.

savery

imported post

Of course it's cool.

A few shows back I took my glock in to have some tritium sights installed. I put it in my blackhawk paddle holster. what was I supposed to do, have the guy work on it in the holster? :p

I went to a fredericksburg gun show and bought a holster for my baby desert eagle. Of course, i was wearing it for the rest of the show to try it out. The only thing bad about wearing a gun in the show is cause everyone asks you if it's for sale! :D

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

You're fine as long as it was secured with a wire tie. I have sold a lot of guns at gun shows and obviously, the potential buyer is going to want to see and handle the gun before he hands over his cash. So to any other person who is a normal gun show visitor would most likely assume that is what is taking place.

Just sold a PM40 Kahr at the Dale City show 13 days ago.

eyesopened

imported post

Kewl thanks guys. I didn't think it would be an issue since it was inside the confines of the show and it was zip tied. It can't hurt to ask thoug... And if I had left the show and cut the zip tie, then it would have been a different choice for me.

SouthernBoy

imported post

I can't say that it was 100% reliable at all times.. like my PM9 purchased within two weeks of having bought the PM40. But it was a good gun and pretty accurate at 25 yards. I took a beating on the price because I suspect some of the problems that Kahr has been experiencing with their polymer framed pieces has gotten out to the buying public. Let's just say it went for under $350.

The reason? I bought a Glock 27 in September and it has moved into one of my primary carry gun slots. 100% reliable and with its reputation, I has no qualms about using it for my personal protection. That and it makes a nice little brother to my G23.

As soon as I sold the PM40, I bought a Glock 19 with night sights that I had found at the same show (Trader Jerry). I was of a mind to get one if it had what I was looking for and this one did.

SouthernBoy

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Kewl thanks guys. I didn't think it would be an issue since it was inside the confines of the show and it was zip tied. It can't hurt to ask thoug... And if I had left the show and cut the zip tie, then it would have been a different choice for me.
I think the fact that you are cognizant of how you might be viewed when carrying and handling a firearm is to be commended and thanked since it also reflects on the rest of us. Please do keep it up.

When I leave a gun show and if I had carried in with my carry piece, I load it back up when I get to my car with the trunk lid open to keep visibility at a minimum. What we do as individuals and as a group can go a long way in the eyes of the general public about gun culture people and guns. I try never to forget that.

ChinChin

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I attended the last Nation's Show and as everyone knows, weapons inside are zip tied. Well I ran into a friend I had not seen in a while and didn't realize he was into firearms. He saw my EMP on my hip and asked if he could see it. I hesitated for a second, but then drew it out of the holster so he could hold it. I figured the gun was zip tied and this was a gun show so someone holding a firearm out of a holster wouldn't be a big deal. So I took it out of the holster and let him fondle it. Later on I had told another friend about it, and he asked if that was a good idea to take it out of the holster in public like that? I told him I normally wouldn't do that anywhere else, but it was inside of a gun show and figured no one would really bat an eye. I've seen guys walking around with long gunsin their hands or 4 sale,even people walking around with buy me stickers on their holster on their hips so this atmosphere is ripe with people handling weapons in a "controlled" environment. Was I in the wrong?

I saw no less then 40 people handeling firearms from dealer tables, considering a potential purchase. Many of them showed almost no knowledge of safe handeling as they swept entire crowds of people as they picked it up and swung it around. It's my number one pet peeve of gunshows. People who don't treat every firearm as if it were loaded and then proceed to act in a reckless fashion.

But to your question. No I don't think you were in the wrong. Your weapon was zipped tied, and so long as you or your buddy didn't then proceed to sweep the crowd as he examed your weapon, I don't see a problem.

SouthernBoy

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
eyesopened wrote:

I saw no less then 40 people handeling firearms from dealer tables, considering a potential purchase. Many of them showed almost no knowledge of safe handeling as they swept entire crowds of people as they picked it up and swung it around. It's my number one pet peeve of gunshows. People who don't treat every firearm as if it were loaded and then proceed to act in a reckless fashion.
Amen to that. I, too, have seen this at gun shows many, many times. The perpetrators are obviously novices. But even experienced people screw up. A few years ago, an on duty range master where I go was shooting from a station two tables away from me and at one point, had his lever action .35 Remington pointing right at my head as he examined the guns action.

Neplusultra

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Proper gun show edicate is that you turn to the person next to you prior to unholstering and say, " Excuse me while I whip this out." :^)

Neplusultra

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
You do know the best way to check if a .45 is chambered is to look down the barrel (due to the large diameter bore) :^). The key is keeping your finger "OFF" the freakin' trigger. If you're afraid your gun may go off even with your finger off the trigger then you need to destroy that gun and get another, or at least get it fixed.

Just a counterpoint opinion. I always follow the "don't point it at anything unsafe" philosophy, except when checking for a chambered condition :^). Usually it's a "Oh yea, that's a hollow point." Of course my gun is a DAO. This course of action may not be so smart if your gun is a cocked and unlocked SA......

Opinions?