• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun statistics: Gun control vs no control

joejoejoe

I was looking online for statistics involving murders with guns. I found the firearms death rate per capita for 2010 on a random site. I was wondering if anyone has anything better for me to view. I found it interesting that the two LEAST gun control states (Alaska and Arizona) are in the top 5! DC of course is the number 1 per captia state, but I can't really believe these statistics! Are these firearm deaths "crime involved" or are they self-defense? Anyways, I would love to see some better statistics. I won't to know why the two greatest gun states are high in firearm deaths.

Joe~

skiingislife725

I just googled your phrase "firearms death rate per capita for 2010" and on the first page comments section, someone mentioned that Alaska is so high because of its suicide rate among the Natives. Googling that got me suicide.org. 23.4 per 100k in Alaska for their suicide rate in 2004. 11.1 per 100k for the United States in general. Geesh!

jt59

I was looking online for statistics involving murders with guns. I found the firearms death rate per capita for 2010 on a random site. I was wondering if anyone has anything better for me to view. I found it interesting that the two LEAST gun control states (Alaska and Arizona) are in the top 5! DC of course is the number 1 per captia state, but I can't really believe these statistics! Are these firearm deaths "crime involved" or are they self-defense? Anyways, I would love to see some better statistics. I won't to know why the two greatest gun states are high in firearm deaths.

Joe~

......and you don't know if it includes suicide by gun or not....if half the states include and half don't or some mix of that, you end up with arguable number (meaning that people will argue with you to their conclusion). :uhoh:

amlevin

Using Alaska in comparison to any other State as regards gun control is not productive. Alsaka is a sparsely populated state with many people living in the 'wild". I have encountered bear, wolf, and moose, within the city limits of Anchorage. People carry firearms for survival from the wild predators more than the two-legged type.

The more people you place together in a small space such as NYC or LA, the more conflict you encounter. Regulation is used as an attempt to control violence and gun related deaths in these areas because it's about all the politicians can control. They don't get the concept that criminals will have guns, legal or not. They are only able to control guns with the law abiding community for the very fact that these people follow the laws. The rest don't and no amount of regulation will change the fact. Violent Crime is like the weather. Some years are hot, some cold. Some have more hurricanes, some don't. Some years are violent and there are lots of shootings and then for no explainable reason there are few for the next few years. Just like the weather.

Even if some giant "Magnet" was passed over the country that snatched up EVERY gun, so that NOBODY was armed with a firearm, the death toll would likely remain the same. Take a look at any of the "futuristic movies" where people were disarmed. Remember all the wrist mounted cross-bows in Road Warrior? The baseball bats with spikes? Take away guns and we just go back to the middle-ages. There are times when people will want to kill people. They will use whatever they can to do so. To all those that say guns make it easy I say "so what". Without guns they'll have to outlaw all knives (kitchen knives are more often used in stabbings than "tactical" knives), then it will be hammers. Carpenters will have to find some other way to pound nails because their nail guns will be gone too. America's pastime will be gone because there won't be any more baseball bats (except for illegal ones). No more rope, scarves, nylon pantyhose, plastic bags, wire, and on and so forth forever.

Weapons are merely what a disturbed mind decides to use to kill someone. The mind that is disturbed will find something even if it is just a rock. What do you suppose Cain used to kill his brother Abel?

devildoc5

I find it extremely interesting that the UCR (which as we all should know is INCREDIBLY unreliable when it comes to getting information correct, usually they over exagerate the amount of violent crimes...) show that the 2008 violent crime rate was SIGNIFICANTLY lower than during the "assualt weapons ban".....

And that according to the UCR "preliminary release" 2009 went down another 5.5 percent!

So where are all these "assault weapons" that are supposed to "magically kill women and children indiscriminately"???????????????????????

Not to mention that the Murder and "nonnegligeble" manslaughter rates are also SIGNIFICANTLY lower than during the "ban"...

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_01.html

Last edited:

joejoejoe

Well, I would really like to work harder in my community to increase the ownership of guns in the hands of private citizens, so I am just wondering where I can find some good info on gun correlating with crime. Amlevin brought up a great point. Guns make it easier, and without them, we will just go back to the dark ages. Gogo, I am going to check out that book. It sounds like it will be an informative read. Does anyone know of any documentaries other than "Michael and Me?"

Thanks guys.

Joe~