• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Gun Violence and Gun Laws--Stand Your Ground?" LEO discussion at Anacortes Library

Set

I know Viteaus is trying to encourage you to carry in your day to day activities, BUT!!!
His post is thoughtlessly missleading!!!

DO NOT!!! carry to the Post Office!!! Or the Court House!!! Or the School!!!

I'm not that naive, no worries. I think he meant pick a day where you don't go to places that cause complications (as in not allowed) and proceeded to list a few.

GuidoZ

I'll be 35 later this year, so you're not that much of a whipper-snapper. =) Besides, I don't consider myself to be extremely knowledgeable on OC, but I;ve done my homework and feel confident enough to know when I'm not breaking the law, what my rights are, and how to handle some of the common situations I may find myself in. I frequently CC as well, as part of my job takes me to places where it is simply better to do so.

As many know, you learn things by talking to someone who knows more than you, or doing it with someone who is better at it than you. Same goes for here. Hitup one of the meet ups and just listen if you'd like. Plenty of info to learn and you'll get over any hesitations quickly. Seems like a good group of people that I've met in the area. :) Maybe try making it to the Anacortes meeting on Tues? Will be easy to blend in if you CC and you can listen to a few of us voice our views if you'd rather not do much talking.

--
Peace. ~G

sudden valley gunner

I thought about it, but compared to most others around here (I assume) I'm fairly young. Soon 25.

As such I'm not as knowledged as everyone else yet. Though conversations sound appealing and a good learning tool I'd be a bit intimidated, not gonna lie. To date I've only carried CC. I've kept up on here regularly for the last few months, however, because OC is something quite parallel to my interests just something I've not partaken in.. yet.

My nephew who is 21 used to come with us all the time, he is spending time back in California with his family right now. Our group here in Whatcom are not condescending don't care your age or your knowledge . We just like to sit around and shoot the shite, Laugh and joke we don't even talk about guns all that much....we just happen to carry openly while meeting together.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
so,

Was there an outcome to the LEO discussion at the Anacortes Library?

You mean this one?

"Stand Your Ground" discussion at Anacortes Library (1220 Tenth Street 98221) on Tues, 4-17-12 at 7pm. Speaking is Skagit County Sheriff and Anacortes Police Chief. There will be a moderated Q&A to follow. I'll be there. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

Last edited:

Set

Maybe try making it to the Anacortes meeting on Tues? Will be easy to blend in if you CC and you can listen to a few of us voice our views if you'd rather not do much talking.

--
Peace. ~G

I'd love to attend but will be stuck in mt vernon until 9pm due to work and there's no way around that at this time =/

As for Sundays I do attend a church service in sedro at 10am but I can cut someday and go up there.. I go to plantation from time to time so maybe next time I'll let you know ahead of time and meet you all!

Set

Sorry for double posting, but to keep it on topic, do you know if this will taped and later hosted anywhere? I'd love to view it in any form. Even if it was audio only. Would be an interesting listen if nothing else!

GuidoZ

Not a clue. I suppose anyone who is attending could request to record it? I've never been to one of the Fidalgo Democrat meetings, so I'm not sure of their format in that regard.

--
Peace. ~G

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Lori and I will be heading down this afternoon. Robert, will you and your Sweety be attending and do you want to travel down with Lori and I?? Text me.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
We stopped for pizza on the way and the room was full of very old people. We got a few stares, probably because we were boisterous. Navy and I were the only people OCing besides the two speaking LEOs. One was Anacortus Chief and one was County. It took about half an hour before my Sweet Baboo realized this was a Democratic Party meeting. The city Chief started off with about fifteen minutes of history on the second amendment. She turned it over to the County LEO and he went on for about forty-five minutes on criminal carry, concealed carry, and gun violence. When they opened it up for Q&A, I asked I mentioned that they had not brought out Open Carry as a legal form of carry. The Chief went on to explain what OC was, but misquoted some of the RCWs. NavyLT was right there with the correct RCW#s and quotes from them. After that the Chiefs used us both as "expert witnesses" for the rest of the evening. Altho some people were visibly disturbed by our weapons (two stormed out and slammed the door) most seemed very interested. Some even admitted to actually owning weapons. I passed out all my brochures and I believe the people who attended have less fear of weapons and the people that wear them legally.

decklin

I know Viteaus is trying to encourage you to carry in your day to day activities, BUT!!!
His post is thoughtlessly missleading!!!

DO NOT!!! carry to the Post Office!!! Or the Court House!!! Or the School!!!

Your post is misleading as well. Carrying to the court house is protected by RCW 9.41.300 and backed up by RCW 9.41.270
Just do not try to go into the restricted areas.
You can go onto school property in the process of picking up or dropping off a student provided you have a CPL.
Defender, I know you are aware of this. I typed this simply for clarificaton.

DCKilla

Sounds like it was a very successful meeting for all involved. OC was represented extremely well as expected. "Expert witnesses", you guys must have left quite an impression on the LEOs and the rest of the citizens attending. Two thumbs up and a monkey :monkey

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Sounds like the few of you that attended did really well, especially when the odds were stack against an informative well thought out positions on the law.

Are you for real :lol: priceless!

Set

Dang sounds like I missed a good event. Maybe next time.

Did anyone notice if it was recorded in any form or if it would be hosted somewhere? I know it's a stretch but you never know..