• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had no idea Costco is ant-firearm

DWCook

Activist Member
Just experienced today that apparently Cosco is anti-firearm. For years I’ve always shopped there and carried. Never had an issue with management and somehow I wasn’t aware of this policy. Closed my account today with them and they asked me to reconsider. Told them I already did and feel it’s my American duty to take my money else where.

Last edited by a moderator:

F350

Rise and shine Rip. Did you not hear about the guy that got killed coming out of Costco because management noticed him carrying and called the cops on him???

Good to hear you closed your account and told them why. In Colorado and Wyoming I frequently OC in Sam's Clubs without a problem.

When I was in Missouri and we finally got CCW the bank I had multiple accounts with immediately posted. We sold the house (for a good profit) and moved shortly after and I found a bank that was VERY pro second amendment and went to the local branch and told them I wanted to close all accounts I had with them. Told the branch manger why, who I was changing to and I wanted my money in CASH. It wasn't really that much (with the house sale it was a tad over $125,000) and they had to go into the vault to get it.

When I went to the new bank to deposit my withdrawal the branch manager and cashiers all laughed as they were running the bills through the counter. They said a drop of that much in cash on hand would be noticed by corp.

solus

Rise and shine Rip. Did you not hear about the guy that got killed coming out of Costco because management noticed him carrying and called the cops on him???

Good to hear you closed your account and told them why. In Colorado and Wyoming I frequently OC in Sam's Clubs without a problem.
snipp...

Nov 17
Police on Monday identified the man who was shot down in a Lenexa Costco Sunday morning after standing inside the store screaming while holding a handgun.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article186700173.html#storylink=cpy
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article186700173.html

2010:
Several witnesses, including a number of Costco employees, have testified during the proceedings that Scott had destroyed boxes that contained water bottles and was trying to force them to fit into a cooler, which was when the gun was spotted in the waistband of his pants.The alleged use of prescription narcotics has also been a focus of testimony, with a number of people testifying that Scott appeared to be under the influence and had high levels of xanax and morphine in his system when he died.
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2010/sep/24/shoppers-recount-police-shooting-outside-costco/

F350, do you, have a cite for your urban myth you mentioned?

One of the reasons I am a Sam's member, OC w/o being hassled.

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
Yeah my reason is because I never had any problems with it even after the shooting incident with the off duty officer. But again I closed my accounts and the management tried to get me to reconsider it multiple times. I told them close my accounts so I can be on my way and give my business to other establishments. I went right next door to Sam's Club and had zero issues with carrying inside.

DWCook

Activist Member
Old news is still news when you just hear it.

You did not argue, you voted with your feet. Good job.

Couldn't really argue too much considering they would just call the police department. The store manager was more concerned that I was closing my account than me having my firearm on me. Also checked policy and as a COSCO member you agree that firearms are not allowed to be brought unless law enforcement.

Last edited:

solus

Couldn't really argue too much considering they would just call the police department. The store manager was more concerned that I was closing my account than me having my firearm on me. Also checked policy and as a COSCO member you agree that firearms are not allowed to be brought unless law enforcement.

DW, now did you call corp to explain why you closed your account?

DWCook

Activist Member
Thanks guys for the positive encouragement! I was completely professional and didn't raise my voice or make a scene. All professional from here on to get better results.

solus

Start at the bottom and work your way forward. If you want documentation of the Scott case, this is where to find it, not in a LV Metro press release.

https://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpress.com/category/erik-scott-case/page/4/

Quote from cite:
Scott was 38 years old, shopping with his girlfriend for items they needed as they moved in together. Unfortunately, those are the only details of the story on which anyone agrees.

We do not know precisely what was said in that important call...

They claim...

Metro Police Captain Patrick Neville claimed a different series of events...

Others on the scene did not see it that way....Walking just ten feet in front of Erik Scott, Garcia exited the Costco....Then he claims four shots were fired,...looked on the ground because -- just, I just did that.
unquote.

Alas, KBCraig, as I stated previously, rehashing urban myth especially with your author being significantly biased against the LEs in the area by putting this commentary in his self-serving “OMGoodness I am making a BS point” article, quote

A coroner's inquest is to be held next week, but the outcome seems foreordained. In the past 34 years, only one Metro officer has ever been found to have acted improperly out of at least 190 inquests, and that officer wasn't charged with a crime....the officers who shot him will be merely the latest exonerated in a long line from an apparently unaccountable police force. Unquote

I mean, the number of times the word “claims” is used just in the first article shows a he said ~ he said type conflict. By article ### at the top of your cite now has the author just spouting conspiracy hyperbole, quote:

In this post, I also touched on what would form one of the foundations of my theory of the case: unquote

Well KBCraig, et al., in my adolescence I enjoyed good pulp ficition, this urban myth can’t even be classified as poor!

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Erik Scott's [strike]murder[/strike] unjustified shooting by the police is no urban myth. It's established fact. I had assumed it was well-known in our community outside of Las Vegas, but perhaps not.

It was not an off-duty police officer. It was by four cops called in by a hysterical manager who made them think they might be coming in to deal with an active shooter; they shouted conflicting commands and he was shot multiple times by three of them while his gun was in the holster complying with one of the commands. I deal with the specifics of the case in detail in my classes, and know friends of Mr. Scott and lawyers still involved. Mistakes (including doing what a cop tells you to do) were made on all sides, the most grievous by the shooters.

Costco policy also allows a full refund of your current membership fees when you tell them to go to Hell. I can't believe any free American would willingly spend money there once they learn of their policy, but understand that some feel they don't have good-enough alternatives to whatever brand and budget they are working with.

Last edited:

solus

Erik Scott's [strike]murder[/strike] unjustified shooting by the police is no urban myth. It's established fact. I had assumed it was well-known in our community outside of Las Vegas, but perhaps not.

It was not an off-duty police officer. It was by four cops called in by a hysterical manager who made them think they might be coming in to deal with an active shooter; they shouted conflicting commands and he was shot multiple times by three of them while his gun was in the holster complying with one of the commands. I deal with the specifics of the case in detail in my classes, and know friends of Mr. Scott and lawyers still involved. Mistakes (including doing what a cop tells you to do) were made on all sides, the most grievous by the shooters.

Costco policy also allows a full refund of your current membership fees when you tell them to go to Hell. I can't believe any free American would willingly spend money there once they learn of their policy, but understand that some feel they don't have good-enough alternatives to whatever brand and budget they are working with.

Alas Mac702, even your commentary about on or off duty shows the misinformation associated with urban myths since nobody know the true circumstances! Were any LEs held accountable? Did not think so! This, like other “he said - he said’ type stories across our nation both currently occurring and from the past are urban myths since there is absolutely no right or wrong outcomes, except from the emotional biases reported.

The cite KBCraig provided was sprouting subjective what-if concepts and conspiracy theories not objective evidence of this person said this, that person who knew a friend in TX told them this...sorry that subscribes to urban myths comparable to Hoffa, who killed Kennedy, ad nauseam!

Even those BGs, killed during active incident(s), have an outpouring of relatives & friends saying LEs overreacted, didn’t have to use that much force, or could have handled it differently.

echofiveniner

Its a shame, Costco reportedly treats their employees well, and i'd love to support them over the Waltons any dya. Too bad, I just won't buy in bulk.

HP995

Solus, there's a concept called the "golden rule" which shouldn't need a cite or a long-winded explanation for most intelligent Americans.

We live in a radically polarized and desensitized society where the facts of almost every situation are disputed and people think nothing of lying.

If you ever find yourself on the receiving end of a harsh and unfair situation with any degree of controversy, it would be interesting if someone quoted your "urban myths" back to you.

solus

Solus, there's a concept called the "golden rule" which shouldn't need a cite or a long-winded explanation for most intelligent Americans.

We live in a radically polarized and desensitized society where the facts of almost every situation are disputed and people think nothing of lying.

If you ever find yourself on the receiving end of a harsh and unfair situation with any degree of controversy, it would be interesting if someone quoted your "urban myths" back to you.

You are absolutely right HP995, let's see now...

344 citizens killed by LEs since 1 Jan 18 to date (33 more to date compared to 2017)

987 citizens killed by LEs 2017.

963 citizens killed by LEs 2016.

995 citizens killed by LEs 2015.

These are the urban myths from just the last three years, (oh BTW white citizens are majority killed)

So most Americans are intelligent, which generation?

So most Americans are intelligent, are you talking about those addicted to FB and other social media?

So most Americans are intelligent, certainly those .5m citizens who are homeless; 8m citizens who suffer substance abuse from MH; sorry the 66K citizens who died from opiate overdose will surely diminish your stats of most intelligent Americans.

So most Americans are intelligent, Hillary's followers; oh I know you are talking about Gary Johnson's 420 followers; oh ya, sorry you meant those who believe the BS newspeek fake news articles;

you are HP including American's who are antis in your broad base statement of exhibiting intelligent traits?

Please reread the cites provided where the individual postulating in their article was pushing 'conspiracy' what ifs, again if that is not urban myth building I am not sure what is.

I mean for goodness sake HP, there are new calls to declassify Mexico embassy records to exonerate a career diplomat's reputation after what the diplomat stated was covered up regarding the JFK assassination.

So much for most...

Golden rule, really, doesn't it apply to those who have QI or are privileged in this country?

Last edited: