• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton SGK Gun Show Jan 23

fully_armed_biker

imported post

My wife and I will be going to the gun show next weekend and are looking to see if anybody wants to meet up at the gun show and then go to lunch at the Cracker Barrel at Power Plant and Mercury. We're planning on beingat the gun showwhen they open at 9. We'll probably head over for lunch somewhere between noon and 1:00.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I expect I'll be there.

However, I usually go as part of a group, so I probably cannot commit to lunch plans.

If ya see me at the show, please say Hi.

:)

fully_armed_biker

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Wouldn't planning it in advance kind of preclude the use of "impromptu"?

:lol:

I guess technically, you're right...:lol:

So, here's the deal....my wife and I are going to the gun show Saturday and plan on being there at 9:00...I'm sure we'll be hanging around the VCDL table and will probably head to Cracker Barrel some time around noon...depending on how long it takes us to find what we're looking for and the time it takes to run background checks, etc. It's been a long time since I had their Chicken Fried Steak...too long! If anybody is interested in going to Cracker Barrel, look forus at the VCDL table around noon. :D

aquinob1

imported post

Fully Armed, i've never been to a gun show. Would you (or anyone) care to give me the run down on carrying? I don't have any plans this weekend so would love to go. I will admit I don't have any money to spend :pbut just a way to get out the house and look at cool stuff and fellowship with my fellow OCrs.

But about carrying..please let me know about SOP.

Edit: Oh and I do plan on having lunch with ya. So for now the count is 3!

45acpForMe

imported post

aquinob1 wrote:
Fully Armed, i've never been to a gun show. Would you (or anyone) care to give me the run down on carrying? I don't have any plans this weekend so would love to go. I will admit I don't have any money to spend :pbut just a way to get out the house and look at cool stuff and fellowship with my fellow OCrs.

But about carrying..please let me know about SOP.

Edit: Oh and I do plan on having lunch with ya. So for now the count is 3!
You can OC but they will zip tie your gun at the entrance. So I typically 1) take one out of the chamber at home or in the car. 2) drop the magazine & rack the slide in the car then put it back in the holster. 3) after the show and they have removed the zip tie, I put the magazine back in 4) chamber a round back in the car and refill the mag.

None of that above is required but from my experience, it is a very odd feeling to be removing one from the chamber in front of the police and also rechambering in front of them. If an AD/ND happened you would be liable so best be safe than sorry.

Last time I OC-ed the Sig P220 you saw tonight I received a couple comment/offers to buy it from two vendors.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

I'm just going to take the one out of the chamber before I leave home and pull the magazine out andleave all of my magazines in the car when we get there. They'll zip tie at the door. I'm hoping one (or more) of the local gunsmiths will have booths there and I can talk to someone aboutthe cost of puttingnight sigts on my Colt Combat Commander M1991 A1...maybe even get prices on some other work on it.

aquinob1....cool, I'll PM you!

mpg9999

imported post

I will probably be there. Depending on how long it takes for me to do my shopping I may be up for lunch. Are you guys going to meet at the VCDL table at a certain time?

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
I will probably be there. Depending on how long it takes for me to do my shopping I may be up for lunch. Are you guys going to meet at the VCDL table at a certain time?
While I probably cannot do the lunch get-together this time, I used to be a part of ar15.com lunch gatherings at the Richmond gun show.

Gathering near the VCDL around noon was our SOP, and it worked well. If you do this, be sure not to block traffic to/from the VCDL table -- we want new members to join our organization!

:)

fully_armed_biker

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
Depending on how long it takes us to do our shopping, we're hoping to meet up around noon...to maybe as late as one. I figured we'd keep touch at the VCDL table.

45acpForMe

imported post

I saw Ron working the VCDL table but he was 3 deep in people and didn't want to distract from recruitment. I then sawfully_armed_biker & wifesporting a new pistol & purse. :) (neither for him);)

Yes it was very crowded but thankfully the line went pretty quick for tickets. This was the first time they made me unload my magazine and put the bullets in a baggie. Other times I simply kept the mag in my pocket. The security guard directly asked me if I had any ammo on me so I was honest.

I got a 223 boresight laser which helped zero my scope today. Test tomorrow. Also picked up some cleaning stuff. I had my youngest with me and didn't want to bore her too much so we ran through the show in an hour and left before you all were to meet for lunch. We did stop to handle some pink pistols and rifles though. :)

mpg9999

imported post

DrMark wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
DrMark wrote:
Good show, though crowded.

Nice to meet you mpg9999.
Nice to meet you as well. I finally caught up with Fully Armed Biker at Cracker Barrel.
Our dinner groups tend to be easy to find in restaurants... we're the ones with the guns!

;)
Haha, yeah. I spotted an orange sticker on a guy walking into the restaurant (I had a window seat), and then a mag carrier on his left hip. Figured it had to be him, but not exactly what I expected with a screen name of fully armed biker.

Milbars

imported post

Anyone know if this is going on Sunday as well? If so, I'll be there. I seem to recall seeing something in the VCDL mailing list about a show during the last weekend in January. Did this get moved up or is my age catching up with me?

mpg9999

imported post

Milbars wrote:
Anyone know if this is going on Sunday as well? If so, I'll be there. I seem to recall seeing something in the VCDL mailing list about a show during the last weekend in January. Did this get moved up or is my age catching up with me?
Yup, they will be there Sunday as well.