• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handshake while carrying?

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

Do you, or would you shake someone's hand while carrying a sidearm?

I personally see it as bad practice to do so if the other person doesn't have your full trust. Why? It's kind of a stretch, but it could leave you in a very bad place if the person on the other end has ill intentions. After all, many historians believe that the handshake originated as a way of warriors demonstrating that they hold no weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_shake

What are your thoughts? Would you politely say that you think it is in bad practice to shake hands with someone (that you vaguely know) while armed, or would you think it's rude to leave them hanging?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dragonflydf wrote:
not a problem, I am right handed, but carry left handed. So I can shake hands and still draw if needed.
It is a good argument in favor of crossdraw. Add to that, 'sneak up behind' retention... I may just have to go crossdraw...

Japle

imported post

I always carry a P3AT in my front left pocket. When I shake hands with someone I don't know well, my hand is on a gun.

nova

imported post

I know quite a few LEOs who won't shake hands, not out of disrespect, but because they want to keep distance and keep their strong hand free for firearm access with people they don't know.

I've met a few cops while on duty and they shook hands. Guess it's a sign they don't see you as a threat and are trusting of you. Yes I was OCing at the time too. :cool:

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

nova wrote:
I know quite a few LEOs who won't shake hands, not out of disrespect, but because they want to keep distance and keep their strong hand free for firearm access with people they don't know.

I've met a few cops while on duty and they shook hands. Guess it's a sign they don't see you as a threat and are trusting of you. Yes I was OCing at the time too. :cool:
Yeah, I noticed that most police officers like to keep a pretty safe distance too. One time I did get a trusting officer to show me his taser and tell me how it worked. He wouldn't let me hold it, though. :cuss: He did, however, jokingly ask me if I wanted to test out the other end of it.

Carnivore

imported post

Dragonflydf wrote:
not a problem, I am right handed, but carry left handed. So I can shake hands and still draw if needed.
I'm a southpaw,but shake right handed, so the same applies here, it's tuff to say which hand is my Dominant, I'm a southpaw living in a right handed world..

hopnpop

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Dragonflydf wrote:
I'm a southpaw,but shake right handed, so the same applies here, it's tuff to say which hand is my Dominant, I'm a southpaw living in a right handed world..
Lefty here as well. I don't think I'd care much for shaking with my drawing side. I'm sure I'd still shake hands in most situations but cautiously. Would it be rude to reach over with your left just to set it on your piece while you shake with your right? Might be awkward as well, but hey :question:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NightOwl wrote:
There's a 3 page thread in the Open Carry Questions forum, here's a link, enjoy!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/25707.html

It is truly amazing how tactiful the human minds in a subset of the population such as ours can, uhm, be. :shock:

OTOH, there was the Dion O’Banion case....Chicago...1924...

O’Banion met his end while preparing a floral arrangement in his shop on November 10, 1924. O’Banion was a consummate hand shaker and on that day three known gangsters came in the shop. Thinking they were there to pick up flowers for the funeral of another prominent gangster he went to shake their hands. One of them pulled O’Banion off balance and six shots rang out. While there was a great deal of speculation concerning the triggermen, no one ever went to trial over the murder. It did leave O’Banion’s territory wide open for Capone...

http://www.essortment.com/all/alcapone_rnrz.htm

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

For those of us who frequently shake the hands of gang members, we must also be careful on how we shake hands. :?

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/two-guilty-in-handshake-murder.html

Two guilty in handshake murder

Two Aurora men face minimum 20 year sentences for participating in the fight that led to the death of a 21-year-old Aurora man who used a handshake other gang members felt he didn't have the rights to.

Ruben Hernandez, 25, and Max Aguilar, 18, were both convicted Friday of murder for their roles in the 2005 murder of Jorge Caro, according to a report in the Aurora Beacon News.

"This verdict shows that even those gang members killed by fellow gang members will receive justice, and that those who attempt to silence the truth will be brought to justice," Kane County State's Attorney John Barsanti said.