• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1747: Open Carry ban

boyscout399

Read the bill. Context is important:

(1) A person who stores or leaves a firearm in a location where17 the person knows, or reasonably should know, that a child is likely18 19 to gain access:
H-1128.1
HOUSE BILL 1747
State of Washington 64th Legislature 2015 Regular Session
By Representatives Kagi, Jinkins, Carlyle, Senn, Robinson, Walkinshaw, Appleton, Cody, Fitzgibbon, Tharinger, S. Hunt, Goodman, Farrell, and Santos
Read first time 01/28/15. Referred to Committee on Judiciary.
p. 1 HB 1747
(a) Is guilty of child endangerment due to unsafe storage of a1 firearm in the first degree if a child obtains access and possession2 of the firearm and the child causes personal injury or death with the3 4 firearm; or (b) Is guilty of child endangerment due to unsafe storage of a5 firearm in the second degree if a child obtains access and possession6 7 of the firearm and the child: (i) 8 Causes the firearm to discharge; (ii) Exhibits the firearm in a public place or in an angry,9 10 threatening, or careless manner; or (iii) Uses the firearm in the commission of a crime

This is not prohibiting open carry. It's punishing someone who gives a child access to a firearm and that CHILD open carries the gun.

I still think the bill should be opposed.

solus

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply if:
(a) The firearm is secured in a locked box, gun safe, other secure locked storage space, or secured with a lock or any device that prevents the firearm from discharging;
(b) The child's access to the firearm is with the lawful permission of the child's parent or guardian and supervised by an adult;

seems the crux of your legislative fervor and concern should be quantifying the definition of child as currently defined by 13.34.030(2)(a) to discern an age of the word 'child' something other than < 18 to means the young of the human species, (generally under the age of puberty) http://thelawdictionary.org/child/

and with including a caveat of holding the caregivers accountable this seems like decent legislation.

ipse

Last edited:

decklin

As I don't have kids my knowledge on underage carry in WA is shaky at best. However, I'm pretty sure at least a couple of those subsections are already law.
Plus can anybody name a gun shop that doesn't offer free trigger locks of their own volition? I can even name businesses that don't sell firearms that offer this.
This is just more of the same garbage. Let's create even more laws without enforcing current ones.

OC for ME

and with including a caveat of holding the caregivers accountable this seems like decent legislation.

ipse
Disagree.

The state should not be permitted to expand their definition of what their compelling interest is to prevent/enable X.

It seems to me that there currently exists ample remedies if a your <18 y/o crumb cruncher gets access to your gat and then screws up w/o adult supervision. Also, it seems that the <18 y/o crumb cruncher will be, or you maybe, held to account if he gets a hold of your gat in a reasonable act of SD...for a adult that is.

Oppose this legislation goode citizens of WA!

solus

As I don't have kids my knowledge on underage carry in WA is shaky at best. However, I'm pretty sure at least a couple of those subsections are already law.
Plus can anybody name a gun shop that doesn't offer free trigger locks of their own volition? I can even name businesses that don't sell firearms that offer this.
This is just more of the same garbage. Let's create even more laws without enforcing current ones.

federal mandate...

ipse

solus

My XD .40 did not come with a trigger lock, nor did the retail outlet offer one...not even remind me. But, Springfield Armory did include in the box a miniature bike lock looking thing...does that count?

yes...cheep alternative decided by gun manufacturers to meet the mandate.

ipse

Alpine

Is it already illegal for 17 or 16 year olds to hunt alone or without an adult supervisor? I can recall lots of kids at my school who went hunting after class during bird seasons on their way home.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

solus

Disagree.

The state should not be permitted to expand their definition of what their compelling interest is to prevent/enable X.

It seems to me that there currently exists ample remedies if a your <18 y/o crumb cruncher gets access to your gat and then screws up w/o adult supervision. Also, it seems that the <18 y/o crumb cruncher will be, or you maybe, held to account if he gets a hold of your gat in a reasonable act of SD...for a adult that is.

Oppose this legislation goode citizens of WA!

did you read where the bill's provisions being shock and awe touted by the OP are after the 'child' has broken into get your firearm or the caregiver left it unattended?

NC has similar legislation on the books and to the best of my knowledge, nobody has been prosecuted, charged yes, prosecuted...nope.

like i stated define what a child is and life would be good.

ipse

solus

https://www.atf.gov/file/84821/download

ATF: 21 April 2006 quote: This new section makes it generally unlawful for “any licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer any handgun to any person, other than another licensee, unless the transferee (buyer) is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device for that handgun.”

Accordingly, licensees must make the necessary arrangements to provide secure gun storage or safety devices with the transfer of andguns from the April 24th effective date.

FEDERAL FIREARMS REGULATIONS REFERENCE GUIDE 2005 https://www.atf.gov/file/58686/download

pg 7: (34) The term "secure gun storage
or safety device" means—
(A) a device that, when installed on a firearm, is designed to prevent the firearm from being operated without first deactivating the device;

pg 15: (z) SECURE GUN STORAGE OR SAFTEY (sic) DEVICE—
(1) IN GENERAL- Except as Provided under paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer any handgun to any person other than any person licensed under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device (as defined in section 921(a)(34)) for than handgun.

nine more references in the document...

ipse