• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help train ladies to shoot

MamaLiberty

imported post

I am an NRA certified instructor for handguns, self defense and concealed carry. I have only a few holsters with which to demonstrate both OC and CC, especially for the ladies.

One thing I always hear about is the drawer full of unused holsters most of us gather in the beginning. I'm wondering if some of you might be willing to donate a few of them to help me train people, especially women, to defend themselves. I don't care if they are worn out or ugly, just need a few of all different kinds except the soft side nylon. I have one of those. :shock:

I'll pay the shipping, just send me a PM and I'll give you my address.

Thanks!!

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

MaMaLiberty, I'd be glad to send some holsters your way once I get back into my shop. Let me know which type you need and I can get them built and sent out. Might still be another month or two but offer is on the table :)

MamaLiberty

imported post

Shorts wrote:
MaMaLiberty, I'd be glad to send some holsters your way once I get back into my shop. Let me know which type you need and I can get them built and sent out. Might still be another month or two but offer is on the table :)
Bless your heart! I really only need some old used stuff to demonstrate to my students. I'm not going to try to have everything, but would like to have a few of each type (OWB, IWB, belly band, shoulder) so they could try them on and see what might work for them. The various CC holsters for men are fairly obvious, but the ladies I talk to are having a hard time even finding things to TRY. The purse/ fannypack types are available in many forms, but I emphasize on body carry as much as possible.

What I would love to talk to you about building for me is another one of these: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=338648

I'm told they don't have them anymore and don't expect to get them again! This is the best, most comfortable holster I've ever used, and the one I have will wear out someday, no matter how well I care for it. I use it all day, every day, everywhere I go.

What would it cost to build something like that? Since some of my students do like that one, you might be able to sell more than one. :) And I know a lot of other lady shooters as well. ;)

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I definitely know how tough it is to find gear - I'm happy to help by providing gear from a female-skewed perspective ;)

Ah, the cross draw! I have built one like the version pictured there so I do have a similar pattern. I am planning to build an edited version in order to compare the differences. When they're built I'd be able to get both to you and you can pick which works best :) As for the cost, we'll talk about that ;)

MamaLiberty

imported post

You are a good egg. :) I carry that deskrider at about 2 O'clock on the strong side. Here is an old picture of me wearing it.

rifle08.jpg

I had just bought the rifle. Have since replaced that stupid soft belt too. :p

Let's talk, definitely! :)

Legba

imported post

Sorry - all I have are the cheapo nylon jobs. Uncle Mike is my buddy.

-ljp

Riana

imported post

Shorts wrote:
I definitely know how tough it is to find gear - I'm happy to help by providing gear from a female-skewed perspective ;)

Ah, the cross draw! I have built one like the version pictured there so I do have a similar pattern. I am planning to build an edited version in order to compare the differences. When they're built I'd be able to get both to you and you can pick which works best :) As for the cost, we'll talk about that ;)
Do let us know, Shorts - as MamaLiberty said, there might be more than one sale in your future. I was looking at that holster when MamaLiberty recommended it - that's how I found out it wasn't available anymore. And to make matters yet more complicated, I'm looking for a left-hand cross draw for a snub revolver. Like a needle in a haystack, I tell ya. :)

MamaLiberty

imported post

Just curious... why crossdraw? I used to carry a .357M revolver, and started out with it crossdraw, but I was not allowed to use it that way in any of the training I took, so adapted it to the 2 O'clock strong side as a compromise. (And had to talk like a dutch uncle to get that allowed, I might add. But once they saw that it did not cause me to sweep others on the line, and the presentation was to the front immediately, they lost their resistance.)

As a five foot tall, plump and short waisted person, a straight up draw from the belt is simply not an option. There is no room to clear the leather!

Since the crossdraw holster is usually carried at about 10'oclock (for us righties, of course), the difference is simply the side on which it is carried! With true crossdraw, you cannot help but sweep everyone on that side with your muzzle when you draw. The same holster carried on the strong side (with some practice) eliminates that danger.

The other problem I had with the crossdraw was having the grip near my center belly, and running into things with it - such as the kitchen counter and the washing machine! I had to learn to wear an apron, since the open mechanism of the revolver and dribbled bread flour were not a happy mix! :cry:

I realize that not everyone carries inside their home, but the same problem happened many other places as well. So, crossdraw very quickly lost any charm it might have had to begin with. :p

Just some ideas...

Riana

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
Just curious... why crossdraw?
I'm built like you are, actually. Straight-up draw is just not an option - my arms don't work that way.

When I saw how you wore that cross-draw holster, I realized that I tend to tilt my IWB to a very similar angle, and that a cross-draw worn strong side might just work for an OWB holster for me. Although my IWB isn't bad, I'm just too soft and squishy for it to be really practical and comfortable, so I want to find an OWB to try.

MamaLiberty wrote:
the open mechanism of the revolver and dribbled bread flour were not a happy mix!
:what:poor revolver. All the more reason I shouldn't bake bread (can't wait to tell hubby that one :lol:)