• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

History help

garand_guy

Hello, I'm researching California unloaded open carry for a book on OC that I'm writing. Since the forum only goes back so far, I want to pick people's knowledge about the early early days.

What or who led to the momentum for open carry to become a thing as it seemed to blow up around 2008?

What were the stated goals?

I'm kinda a little slow this evening, but hoping someone with a great memory out there can school me on the early history.

Thanks!

davidmcbeth

Banned
OP needs to examine bills and laws passed and look at the underlining work at the legislature. Looking at testimony given, meeting transcripts/audio records created at public meetings, documents provided to the legislature etc.

The wiki link that Grape provided likely will get you started .. but its only the tip of an iceberg.

Looking at laws made is only 1/100th of it ... looking at bills that failed and why (pro or con to OCing) will provide a much better historical background than just looking at laws that passed.

Of course, you may also wish to examine local proposed law and passed law too.

Looking to write a book, not a paper, right?

Getting access to the records may take some time and $$$ but if you want to do it right, its what is required.

garand_guy

I have the legislative stuff down, but I'm looking for more person anecdotes and information on who was involved in the meets, etc.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have the legislative stuff down, but I'm looking for more person anecdotes and information on who was involved in the meets, etc.

Searching the California sub-forum, particularly page 50 and beyond will give you lots of fodder. Jus' saying.

garand_guy

Searching the California sub-forum, particularly page 50 and beyond will give you lots of fodder. Jus' saying.

I've been doing pretty good, but 2008 is as far back as I can go. After this, I'm digging into Virginia and the real beginning of the story. I'm gathering that OCDO started the interest, momentum gained, and Heller accelerated interest. That's the angle I'm working with.

garand_guy

By the way, is anyone aware of anyone being issued an open carry permit by a rural sheriff or a sheriff that has ever issued one? The answer's I'm getting from some of the cop shops aren't exactly helpful.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've been doing pretty good, but 2008 is as far back as I can go. After this, I'm digging into Virginia and the real beginning of the story. I'm gathering that OCDO started the interest, momentum gained, and Heller accelerated interest. That's the angle I'm working with.
IMO - much of the ban/limiting of open carry in California was in response to the Black Panthers - starting in 1967. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

John and Mike did come together and really moved the ball down field.

You might get one or both to make a quote for your book. John particularly could provide you with reams of material......but he is very busy.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
IMO - much of the ban/limiting of open carry in California was in response to the Black Panthers - starting in 1967. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

John and Mike did come together and really moved the ball down field.

You might get one or both to make a quote for your book. John particularly could provide you with reams of material......but he is very busy.

Well, blacks in general ... the Panthers had Reagan running for his pen.

solus

Waaay too long - a wall of text.

Would have been far better to provide a short synopsis and a link.

and not one cite on where the wall's information came from...amazing...(shaking my head in disbelief)

ipse

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!!

Hello, I'm researching California unloaded open carry for a book on OC that I'm writing. Since the forum only goes back so far, I want to pick people's knowledge about the early early days.

What or who led to the momentum for open carry to become a thing as it seemed to blow up around 2008?

What were the stated goals?

I'm kinda a little slow this evening, but hoping someone with a great memory out there can school me on the early history.

Thanks!

While California is well-known as being extremely hostile to gun rights, few have any idea of the way things used to be, including that until 1967,

--snipped by Moderator--

That was fast!

Last edited by a moderator:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

It was really nice to have that wall of text reproduced to make a second wall of text. Sort of like a wall of text, squared. Thanks for sharing such a long, torturous read. I didn't have anything else planned for this afternoon anyway. Maybe I can put it up a third time! Would everybody enjoy seeing it again, in a different post?

Go ahead,,, I enjoyed the historical read, I think it was comprehensive and accurate.
I was even entertained!

Last edited:

garand_guy

I guessed right - wish I had said so.

Please do not post the entire book on OCDO, especially w/o paragraph breaks.

Just kidding - the file would be too big anyway. :)

Yeah, PHP isn't really conducive to text. I hate how it eats my formatting. Probably throw a link to hidden PDFs when I get ready to go live with it. Funny thing about the internet is that it's easy to get information and quotes from the past, but only so far because of technological limitations.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I guessed right - wish I had said so.

Please do not post the entire book on OCDO, especially w/o paragraph breaks.

Just kidding - the file would be too big anyway. :)

I wrote a book ... "Gun Laws That Have The Actual Effect of Law" ... can I post that one here?