• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Can Rhode Island Get Away With This?

ctgunowner

From Rhode Island permit application:

"A pistol permit is a PRIVILEGE LEFT TO THE SOUND DISRECTION of the Attorney General."

wtf? Isn't this a blatant "fu" to the 2nd amendment?

Since when is my right to self-defense and carrying a pistol a PRIVILEGE to be handed down by one official?

JoeSparky

Centurion
Until the people voting in Rhode Island rise up and elect legislators that honor, respect, and make law in compliance of the restrictions placed upon government by the Federal and State Constitutions this will be the state of that particular States laws!

davidmcbeth

Banned

"A pistol permit is a PRIVILEGE LEFT TO THE SOUND DISRECTION of the Attorney General."

wtf? Isn't this a blatant "fu" to the 2nd amendment? Yes, of course it is.

Since when is my right to self-defense and carrying a pistol a PRIVILEGE to be handed down by one official?

Since the citizens of Rhode Island elected legislators that would pass legislation and make policies that are contrary to the federal and state constitutions and then those citizens sit back, do nothing and watch it happen.

Of course any law that is contrary to a right has to be questioned in respect to its constitutionality.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Of course any law that is contrary to a right has to be questioned in respect to its constitutionality.

Agreed. But unless you involve the courts in the process, it will remain a rhetorical question.

stay safe.

Last edited:

Superlite27

Why did you put my name into a reply made by davidmcbeth? I had nothing to do with the quote you have placed under my name and i want nothing to do with anything associated with davidmcbeth. Now you have made me a part of his erratic and childish world. Skidmark, please edit your post to eliminate my name from davidmcbeth's comments.

stay safe

Probably to keep this crazy train a'rollin'.

....and this hobo is hoppin' on board!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Why did you put my name into a reply made by davidmcbeth? I had nothing to do with the quote you have placed under my name and i want nothing to do with anything associated with davidmcbeth. Now you have made me a part of his erratic and childish world. Skidmark, please edit your post to eliminate my name from davidmcbeth's comments.

My sincere apology - I did not see the second there. I have edited my post.

However, Your double-normal-size post still remains. A PM might have served you better.

And by the way, it is skidmark - no capital letter, thankyewverramush.

stay safe.

Jared

Slow down for a second.

AG permits are May issue, but town permits under 11-47-11 are shall issue.

There is a case pending right now in RI Supreme Court over town permits and another case that just started in federal court over a town permit denial that is now a 1983 lawsuit.

The Mosby decision said that the May issue law can survive because their is a dual licensing system and the other (better license anyway) is shall-issue.

cjohnson44546

They are right... permits is what they are talking about.

Requiring a permit at all is a big FU to the constitution and your rights.

Jared

They are right... permits is what they are talking about.

Requiring a permit at all is a big FU to the constitution and your rights.

Yep, RI is just like Tennessee with the permit to carry.

It goes along with your annual permit to exist that you are supposed to file every year or risk jail. They are renewed every April 15th no matter where in the world you move to.

WalkingWolf

wtf? Isn't this a blatant "fu" to the 2nd amendment?

Why should it surprise anyone one when the government stand is the same as the NRA stand.