• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you carry in the winter?

How do you typically carry in the winter?

• Concealed by a winter coat.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Openly with a thigh holster.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other OC

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Other CC

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
It's cold where I live, so we wear heavy coats. I'm not a fan of drop holsters, so I am effectively CCing most of the winter. Of course, this premise is likely irrelevant to those of you who live in places with warm winters.

Last edited:

tletourneau

I don't know about the OP but where I live it was -24F the other morning. A long sleeve shirt doesn't cut it :). I bought a LE style jacket with the side zipper, it works well.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

onlurker

I use a serpa duty holster + duty belt for OC in general. Reason being, I backpack a lot and this particular holster moves the pistol's grip down to (and away from) the belt line instead of having the trigger guard area at the belt line. This means that my jackets, shirts, and pack waist straps will cover the belt but the pistol remains fully exposed. Plus when I'm just out and about, I feel like less of a showoff since the belt+holster sort of "blends in" with my clothing instead of conspicuously tucking my shirt behind the pistol.

cbpeck

Typically I CC under a winter coat when outside and remove my coat to OC while indoors. It seems like a pretty rational solution to me.

sultan62

If it's cold enough to warrant a coat, it's concealed under the coat. Depending on what I'm carrying, it may or may not show under the bottom of the coat.

N605TW

Activist Member
I normally wear my jacket that only comes to my waist so its not a problem. When I do put on a heavy coat I just tuck the coat behind the gun. I am careful when I wear a coat because it can slip and cover my gun if I sit down and don't re-tuck it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's cold where I live, so we wear heavy coats. I'm not a fan of drop holsters, so I am effectively CCing most of the winter. Of course, this premise is likely irrelevant to those of you who live in places with warm winters.

I just tuck my coat under my gun.

s4.jpg