• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you justify OC?

wimwag

That's pretty neat. I did not know that..what's really interesting is states have reciprocity with Alaska which is funny because it's like $95 to get an actual issued permit to use in states that accept it. Alright...time to start looking for ways to not be tacky and outlandish with OC. I don't think it's about proving a point or letting everyone know but so far I have one CC holster thats decent but I'm a small guy so concealing my 30S is hard.

The only thing you should really be worried about besides learning the law) is finding a good quality holster and getting some range time.

It's not necessary, but firearms training courses or conceal carry courses will help you become much more familiar with the laws. Then you get to ask questions of someone qualified to answer them and not of a bunch of anonymous people on the internet.

MamaLiberty

It's not necessary, but firearms training courses or conceal carry courses will help you become much more familiar with the laws. Then you get to ask questions of someone qualified to answer them and not of a bunch of anonymous people on the internet.

As a certified firearms and self defense instructor, I must seriously disagree here. The only instruction on "the law" offered in my classes - beyond the generic "use of lethal force" lecture - is the strong advice to look it up and learn the specific laws from the source, with suggestions for how to go about that. I am not qualified to advise my students on "the law," and furthermore, since laws differ from place to place, it would be an impossible task to keep up with all of them even if I were qualified. If a student took my word for "the law" in any situation, and was wrong... they would be in a world of hurt, and I would be liable to some degree or another.

What some "state" mandated courses teach about "the law" is another thing altogether, of course. But even then, I'd want to look it up myself and pay attention to changes. There's no guarantee those instructors know the "law" any better than anyone else. Those most vulnerable to problems with this are those who travel armed.

You really are not paranoid if they're truly out to get you. :(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OCDO strongly encourages that we cite, with credible source, whenever a law is referenced.

There is no more credible source than the statute or ordinance itself.

MamaLiberty

OCDO strongly encourages that we cite, with credible source, whenever a law is referenced.

There is no more credible source than the statute or ordinance itself.

And even that isn't always reliable, of course. If the "law" is changed, and the material available to the public isn't updated in a timely fashion, you can still be working off outdated information. It's always going to be a crap shoot, and reliance on what some instructor says is really a very poor idea. And then, for some weird reason, the cops are usually the last to know - so don't bother asking them. :(

wimwag

As a certified firearms and self defense instructor, I must seriously disagree here. The only instruction on "the law" offered in my classes - beyond the generic "use of lethal force" lecture - is the strong advice to look it up and learn the specific laws from the source, with suggestions for how to go about that. I am not qualified to advise my students on "the law," and furthermore, since laws differ from place to place, it would be an impossible task to keep up with all of them even if I were qualified. If a student took my word for "the law" in any situation, and was wrong... they would be in a world of hurt, and I would be liable to some degree or another.

What some "state" mandated courses teach about "the law" is another thing altogether, of course. But even then, I'd want to look it up myself and pay attention to changes. There's no guarantee those instructors know the "law" any better than anyone else. Those most vulnerable to problems with this are those who travel armed.

You really are not paranoid if they're truly out to get you. :(

Really? I took one just for the Utah permit and the guy knew his stuff. I googled a lot of it just to check and he was 100% correct. He even gave credit to OC saying without it there would be no CC or firearms ownership, period. Maybe you don't, but I'm sure plenty do.

WalkingWolf

This is more than spambots, I have never seen anything like it. IMO it is somebody urinated off at us trying to shut down the site by overloading the servers.

since9

Campaign Veteran
it is new for me too.
about 280 spam posts by 4 new guys in the last 5 hours.

vBulletin has some inherent weaknesses which unfortunately date it's creators' misplaced trust in the human animal. Even if the admins employ both human and e-mail verification, semi-automated spamming houses throughout Asia can crank out 500 falsified vBulletin accounts in less than one hour per sweatshop worker, usually for about $1 U.S.

The way to deal with this is four-fold:

1. Don't delete the account. Just revoke all posting privileges. It takes them seconds to post spam. Up the ante. Let them waste minutes trying to figure out why they can no longer post.

2. Delete the spam posts. That's free advertising for them. What EVER you do, do NOT let it remain visible! Not only does it trash the forum, but it also rewards them if anyone ever does click on the link.

3. Follow these instructions.

4. And these.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

its funny to me that the 1st round of attack,,, really was spam!
whole lists of thing that were links to ,,, something...

this new attack, is just pure gibberish,, that contain the word "ugg"

anyhooooo,,, if you think you can help,, please send your advice to grapeshot!

since9

Campaign Veteran
its funny to me that the 1st round of attack,,, really was spam!
whole lists of thing that were links to ,,, something...

this new attack, is just pure gibberish,, that contain the word "ugg"

anyhooooo,,, if you think you can help,, please send your advice to grapeshot!

I did. Below.

This, 1245A Defender, is still spam:

--Spam quote deleted by Mod.--

It's actually easy to kill this crap. You do, however, need to know what you're doing. You also need admin access, which grapeshot doesn't have.

Attachments

• ugg.jpg
    ugg.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited by a moderator:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Back in ahhh 2006 I recommended hand-vetting of members, as in the act of administration.

We have 33,000 members currently registered, still many with zero post count. Call it 30,000 in 3000 days to see ~30/day, at one minute per account ~30 minutes.

If an applicant wants to contribute, then a wait of a day or so is not uncommon.

I have lots of listserv accounts, some of which have delays of >week.

That's commensurate with the recommendations for limited access accounts for new users.

Hand-vetting is possible, but admin-intensive, and to be honest, it's difficult to determine who's real and who's not. Spammers are getting more and more creative.

The best defense comes in layers, using a series of best practices which include automated anti-spamming software (plug-in), configuration best practices, and yes, for the relatively few seemingly genuine applicants, hand-vetting and limited access or managed post approval for a short period of time.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I did. Below.

This, 1245A Defender, is still spam:

View attachment 12132

It's actually easy to kill this crap. You do, however, need to know what you're doing. You also need admin access, which grapeshot doesn't have.

you are right
i described the 1st attack as spam, because it was posting links to,,, buy things...

the new attack fills our screens with posters that talk "ugg" boots, but dont really try to sell anything.
i havent read any of the posts, but did see in . foru what they look like..
here
i made a thread to warn our guys to ignore themso far only 2 folks have replied to report themi saw 250 threads on my screenthen it went to 110 threadsnow its back up to 500 threads,, maybe thats the max allowed?

• --Moderator deleted reposting of spam links--

Last edited by a moderator:

since9

Campaign Veteran
...the new attack fills our screens with posters that talk "ugg" boots, but dont really try to sell anything.

Lol, you know what? You bring up a good point. This could be an attempt by Moms Demand Action to merely vandalize the message forum. With Bloomberg's funding, I can easily picture him hiring hackers to script this crap.

SpringerXDacp

Lol, you know what? You bring up a good point. This could be an attempt by Moms Demand Action to merely vandalize the message forum. With Bloomberg's funding, I can easily picture him hiring hackers to script this crap.

Swing by your local Kroger to see if any of the Demanding Mommies are wearing some uggs. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just say..."I'm not, I just have an invisible coat"

I may have to borrow that.........to keep me invisibly warm.

Would work when the temperature is low, but what to do when the weather warms up? :p Still wearing an invisible coat?

Either way, if you see it I have succeeded in one of my goals.