• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

Rich B

I looked at the BFPE website last night and they have appeals scheduled until april 2014 and my name def isnt on that list so I could only imagine how long it would take for my appeal to get set up, which is even more reason for me to hope and pray that this Officer gets me my permit and i don't have to wait for my appeal because I won't get it until almost a year from now at this point.

Did you also look at the reasons for appeals? The extra hearings have cleared up most or all of the appeals due to delays. Most of the other appeals are revocations.

chucklehead

Easton, CT wait time

Fyi...Easton, Ct wait time is approximately 90 days...filed 4/12/13 and received 7/11/13. It's the state..they didn't start check until week of 6/21/13. I didn't call the state until the prior week...not sure if that kick started it or was a coincidence.:banana:

brennan722

Nothing

Of course I haven't heard from the BFPE yet and when I talked to the milford cop last week he said he hadn't done a thing with my permit this has been the most frustrating process ever it is a simple right I have to buy a firearm and this state makes it impossible I'm so glad I've gone 6000 miles away from my family for months fighting for these people and get to come back and get BS about utilizing my rights as a US CITIZEN LOVELY!

oldsmo2

how long?

I applied in april, called 6-28 and was told they were waiting for state police, called 7-26 and was told , "oh we mailed it to you on 7-3", I have never not received a piece of mail in over 30 years at my current address. And one that only had to travel 5 miles? And my check made out to CT for $70 was in there as well. Hopefully they're not reading this tonight. Anyway I was told they will issue me a new one Monday , I'll let you guys know how I make out.

heckle

Not sure if it is relevant or not but thought I would share.

We got our temp permits (signed 7/8/13) in the mail on 7/10/13. My wife was already out of state visiting family. She got back 8/1/13 and we went down to Middletown on 8/2/13 to get the regular permits. There were 12 - 15 people in line in front of us. They had the cards to fill out but would sugegst bringing your own pen. Neither one of us filled in the SSN field (said it was optional) and for "Reason", we wrote "For all lawful purposes". Gave them the temp permit, drivers license and birth certificate. Only question we were asked with for our phone number to narrow us down in the search (we have a common last name and pretty common first names). Entire process took about 20 - 25 minutes from standing in line to leaving the building.

No problems, no issues.

julex

3.5 months in WH

Applied 04-10-2013 and had it ready for pick up on 07-23-2013. I expected to take it linger given how many people are rushing to get these.

brennan722

Still nothing

It's been 5 months officially since I submitted my application to Milford PD. I'm now aware that the Officer was jerking me around when I went and spoke with him on July 8th and he said he would have it to me in a week. Also I haven't recieved anything from the BFPE. I've tried to call up to them several times and noone ever picks up the phone. I spoke to some people that had submitted apps in Milford just before me and they recently got their temps so I really hope that mine is coming real soon.

davidmcbeth

Banned
It's been 5 months officially since I submitted my application to Milford PD. I'm now aware that the Officer was jerking me around when I went and spoke with him on July 8th and he said he would have it to me in a week. Also I haven't recieved anything from the BFPE. I've tried to call up to them several times and noone ever picks up the phone. I spoke to some people that had submitted apps in Milford just before me and they recently got their temps so I really hope that mine is coming real soon.

A policeman lied to you? No Way ! I assume everything coming out of a cop's mouth is a lie ... because they can

n2ply

Applied 4/28/13 and still waiting!!

The title says it all. I'm part of the group from Milford that are getting screwed over. I know they cashed my checks on May 3, but they still haven't delivered. I was told I could reapply at my own expense, but I refuse to pay for something twice - especially when I don't get it the first time.

If this was a business we were dealing with, it would be fraud.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The title says it all. I'm part of the group from Milford that are getting screwed over. I know they cashed my checks on May 3, but they still haven't delivered. I was told I could reapply at my own expense, but I refuse to pay for something twice - especially when I don't get it the first time.

It is fraud ! File a claim in small claims court ... I think you'll win.

brk913

Did you file an appeal 7 days after the town received your background check back from the SPBI, what about at the 8 week point? Have you called to find out when your background check was completed? You have to push it to the board, in fact looking at your application date, the latest you should have filed for an appeal was 6/28, you would have had your hearing and your permit by now if you had filed back then...the BoFPE does constructive denial days and they have had at least 2 or 3 since then, what that means is even though you may receive an initial hearing date in 2015 they will notify you and move you up to one of the special dates, don't waste anymore time, file that appeal ASAP...

n2ply

Did you file an appeal 7 days after the town received your background check back from the SPBI, what about at the 8 week point? Have you called to find out when your background check was completed? You have to push it to the board, in fact looking at your application date, the latest you should have filed for an appeal was 6/28, you would have had your hearing and your permit by now if you had filed back then...the BoFPE does constructive denial days and they have had at least 2 or 3 since then, what that means is even though you may receive an initial hearing date in 2015 they will notify you and move you up to one of the special dates, don't waste anymore time, file that appeal ASAP...

I am just filing the appeal now. On my two visits to the PD, they said there were misplaced documents and they're trying to get things straightened out. They said I should just wait it out. There was a long convaluted story that went with all this, but way too much to type. It was probably BS anyway.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Don’t bother. You are too far past the deadline.

File a new application, start all over again, pay attention to your dates this time.

I would not give up on this one yet ... IF he can get something in WRITING from the PD stating that they are still working on it, then he should file afterwards. If he has nothing in writing, then the BFPE would likely rule that he was denied months ago and that he is past the mandatory filing deadline for an appeal.

If the BFPE were hearing and ruling on cases as it should (within 90 days) I would agree to re-file and then appeal at the earliest opportunity. But they are now at, what 14 months?

Also, has the law changed in respect to the # of permit apps/yr or # of BFPE appeals/yr ?

n2ply

They never said I was denied....

they said they haven't been able to complete the process due to a paperwork snafu.

When I applied, we were told to expect a wait of no less than 16 weeks. Possibly more.

Rich B

they said they haven't been able to complete the process due to a paperwork snafu.

When I applied, we were told to expect a wait of no less than 16 weeks. Possibly more.

If you wait 16 weeks, you are too late for an appeal. That is probably why they told you to wait that long.

http://ctcarry.com/Permits/Timeline

They had 5 days, 1 week with a maximum of 8 weeks for the entire process (this time it will be 12 weeks).

You needed to appeal within 90 days of your denial, which was, at the longest 8 weeks, but probably before that.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=254192&bfpeNav=|

You must first send a letter requesting an appeal within 90 days, from the date you were denied or notified your permit was revoked

CT Barfly

DO NOT RESTART YOUR APPLICATION.

Personally, I see no reason to appeal when there is a delay. Rich, don't bother quoting and objecting...I know where you stand.

Revocations and denials, sure...delays...it's just sitting on someone's desk among coffee stains and pizza slices. It's up to you to make it someone's business to get the ball rolling again.

The first point of biz is to identify which entity is responsible for the delay. Call the state, call the FBI (hint, it's NOT the feds), call your town. Figure out where your paperwork is and whose responsibility it is to get the stuff moving forward. The statute is only OK at making sure that various entities do things in a timely manner, but there are cracks...and in one of those cracks is your application.

PM me if you'd like some assistance.

Last edited: