• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

davidmcbeth

Banned
So will filing an appeal simply get my local PD to send me a letter saying they haven't heard back from the state? As frustrating as it is, it seems like my only result will be a POed local PD.

Better to be pissed off than pissed on .... my local PD has done nothing from my appeal .. believe me, I pissed them off a great deal more than you will ...

go ahead and file

brennan722

Milford

I submitted my application on March 7, 2013 in Milford. Louise said my results from the background check were sent to Milford on May 20th. STILL NO PERMIT. I filed an appeal like 2 weeks ago and I know I should have did it sooner but the cop who took my app said it might take 3 months and I took his word, I'm an active duty Marine he knew that and I made the mistake of believing this paticular officer. i don't understand if they got the results what is the problem. I also called they said they don't give pemrit info over the phone and so i emailed them 3 times and no response I'm getting very impatient.

forhumans

My police station took a little over two weeks to send me my denial letter once receiving everything back from the state, but this was after I called them twice and went down to the station to see them in person. I would take a walk into the station and make sure everything's OK.

motoxmann

I submitted my application on March 7, 2013 in Milford. Louise said my results from the background check were sent to Milford on May 20th. STILL NO PERMIT. I filed an appeal like 2 weeks ago and I know I should have did it sooner but the cop who took my app said it might take 3 months and I took his word, I'm an active duty Marine he knew that and I made the mistake of believing this paticular officer. i don't understand if they got the results what is the problem. I also called they said they don't give pemrit info over the phone and so i emailed them 3 times and no response I'm getting very impatient.

did you get your paperwork back from BFPE about your appeal hearing yet? if everything is set up properly for the appeal, there's not much more you can do now but sit back and wait. either you'll get your permit, or you wont get it and you'll go to the appeal hearing and they'll demand it be issued (assuming you're eligible of course)

brennan722

Milford

I haven't recieved anything about my appeal yet and nothing from the PD. I bought a long gun about 2 months ago and because I'm active duty was allowed to go in purchase and walk out with it that same day I'm assumng if I could do that getting my permit shouldn't be a problem just takes a bit more time. Also even if I get my permit; I know I need to inform the board I got it but can anything be done about how long this is taking to maybe save some people some time in the future?

oldsmo2

Longer than eight weeks............

Filed my paperwork in greenwich back in april. early april. still no permit. I called and they were very nice but told me basically, keep waiting. Filed an appeal registered mail this past week. Will post additional details. BTW the worst thing on my record is a speeding ticket in another state.

forhumans

Filed my paperwork in greenwich back in april. early april. still no permit.

I filed mine in Greenwich Feb 19th and didn't receive word back until June 11th, so 16 weeks exactly. If times are the same you're looking at end of July...

It did take the state a long time to get the prints back to the GPD, but then they took another several weeks.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would disagree with withdrawing an appeal simply because you get a permit soon before a BFPE hearing.. there is a promptness issue still be decided IMO.

brennan722

Milford

I went into Milford PD and spoke with the officer in charge of the pistol permits in Milford and he was a very nice guy actually. We ahd to discuss some previous minor arrests that I had honestly I forgot about them they were from before I joined the Marines and all my "serios" arrests were later dismissed so I didn't need to mention those and they were the ones I was worried about but he said none of my past will make get denied. He told me the hold up was on the FBI and that they have no record of ever getting my prints and I would have to resubmit (meaning pay again) he said that is total BS and said I should have my permit in about a week two weeks tops. So i was very excited to hear that but he said that The FBI didn't recieve a whole group of his applicants from Milford so if you know anyone who applied in Milford then I would have them verify the FBI check.

Rich B

He told me the hold up was on the FBI and that they have no record of ever getting my prints and I would have to resubmit (meaning pay again) he said that is total BS and said I should have my permit in about a week two weeks tops. So i was very excited to hear that but he said that The FBI didn't recieve a whole group of his applicants from Milford so if you know anyone who applied in Milford then I would have them verify the FBI check.

Have you confirmed any of this outside of Milford? The SPBI? The FBI?

oldsmo2

since april 11 greenwich, still no permit

filed the appeal mailed last monday, any idea how long it takes the appeals people to respond?

brennan722

Milford

When I called the FBI they said they had no record of my background check and the Officer in Milford talked to a person up at the State, he said his name but I can't remember it right now. I really hope he isn't just giving me the run around and I actually get my Temp by next week i've been waiting so long and know that he told me he would have it done I'm getting really excited and if I have to wait much longer then 2 weeks I'm going to be reallly upset.

Rich B

When I called the FBI they said they had no record of my background check and the Officer in Milford talked to a person up at the State, he said his name but I can't remember it right now. I really hope he isn't just giving me the run around and I actually get my Temp by next week i've been waiting so long and know that he told me he would have it done I'm getting really excited and if I have to wait much longer then 2 weeks I'm going to be reallly upset.

I don't really understand. You know the results were returned. You said so yourself in an earlier post. And you appealed. Not much more you can do...

If you filed your appeal as early as the statutes allowed, you would have it sooner.

heckle

Town: Vernon
Submitted: 4/24/2013
Temp Permit issued: 7/8/2013
Total time: 75 days

Was originally told it would take about 10 weeks. They were pretty much on target. I know, more than the 8 weeks but still pretty good compared to what others are dealing with. Had no problems at all from the local PD. And as a bonus, when we got our finger prints done, they even did the cards for Florida at the same time!

Added times to the ctcarry database.

heckle

Did not file an appeal. The wife knows a Vernon Detective who verified the time frames the clerks were giving us. I have also been doing a weekly check since week 7. :) Now just have to wait for the wife to get back from Florida to go down to Middletown together.

Last edited:

brennan722

Bfpe

I looked at the BFPE website last night and they have appeals scheduled until april 2014 and my name def isnt on that list so I could only imagine how long it would take for my appeal to get set up, which is even more reason for me to hope and pray that this Officer gets me my permit and i don't have to wait for my appeal because I won't get it until almost a year from now at this point.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I looked at the BFPE website last night and they have appeals scheduled until april 2014 and my name def isnt on that list so I could only imagine how long it would take for my appeal to get set up, which is even more reason for me to hope and pray that this Officer gets me my permit and i don't have to wait for my appeal because I won't get it until almost a year from now at this point.

The delay is one reason why I support abolishing this admin agency ... and there are many other reasons ...