• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to get an "unlimited license"

Kingfish

imported post

So, does anyone have or know the process for obtaining an "unlimited license" pistol licence in Lee County? Or anywhere else for that matter. I am really worried about getting one of the sheriffs "qualified" permits with all of it's restrictions.

Section 13A-11-75
The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state...

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

I've never seen a qualified PL issued....IIRC, there was a court decision that keeps them from being issued any longer....something to do with the fact that a qualified PL was to be issued to include only one specific pistol....the court ruled that a PL is issued to the person and NOT the pistol.

acrimsontide

imported post

Comp-tech,

You are correct. I have had an Alabama permit for over 40 years and when I first got one, I was restricted to one firearm. If I remember correctl, the serial number of the weapon was on the permit. Some years later they dropped that requirement and just issued the pistol permit which allows carry of any pistol/revolver.

Kingfish

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
Comp-tech,

You are correct. I have had an Alabama permit for over 40 years and when I first got one, I was restricted to one firearm. If I remember correctl, the serial number of the weapon was on the permit. Some years later they dropped that requirement and just issued the pistol permit which allows carry of any pistol/revolver.
Well, looks like Sheriff Jones in Lee County has gotten a nostalgic itch because my wife applied for her permit today and was REQUIRED to list the serial number. I advised her to leave it blank but carry it just in case they refused or wanted to run a stolen weapon check. She did not offer the serial to start. They said they would not accept the application without it.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How does the LEO verify the serial number if you can't carry the gun downtown
without the carry permit?

And what about our rights to carry pistol that has no serial number? I'm
not going to ruin mine with bogus markings.