• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How would you respond to this person's threat?

mnrobitaille

17554426_1282062165207295_8119221882531662852_n.jpg

How would you respond to this person's threat of taking your firearm?

Several of the responses are that just that act of pepper spraying is a means to exert lethal force. Would lethal force be justified in that case?

solus

personally, would not get into a tweeting 'what if' battle of words over this as it could lead someone to actually believe it was the appropriate way to go...
(nc citizen sitting in jail due to following tweeting story of child sexual abuse in pizzeria and deciding to take action, with firearm in hand, to rescue said folk from the alleged abuse)

but, i do think one of the responses needs to point out accountability of judicial repercussions against the individual who initated the confrontation, the pepper sprayer, which ended in assault against the OC'er as well as possible kidnap charges, and other violations of statutory mandates.

then you have the financial accountability to the instigator, medical $$$ towards the victim, legal defense, lost wages, etc.

finally, not all states allow 'citizens arrest' activities so that would certainly change the legal scenario of the war of words on this stupid activity!

ipse

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

If you decide to respond a simple statement about it being a illegal assault would all I would make.

It is normally best just to ignore just statements.

If you know this person on a personal level I would avoid contact with them.

They are ill rational and those type of people are best avoided.

DeSchaine

If I were to respond to such idiocy, which I wouldn't normally be inclined to do, it would be something like "By all means. I'd love to own your house and cars."

JoeSparky

Centurion
With this person's statement of action, I can see at least three crimes she is threatening to commit.

1 - The very threat itself could be called "assault".
2 - Spraying with the pepper spray is akin to physical contact, hence "battery".
3 - Taking the OCer's firearm is nothing more than Robbery.

If she is so lunatic as to carry out that threat, can't you just see her, in a virtual panic because of what she has done, standing there, waving the gun around (a "tool" that she may not have ANY familiarity with) when the cop rolls up? What do you think this poor cop is likely going to do? If she is hysterical, waving the gun around, SHE will most likely get herself shot!

Just what she deserves for what she did, too !!
Regarding query #3--- how would one know during the time this flake was attempting to take your gun that they ONLY desired to separate you from it vs. getting the gun to use it on YOU!? Would this act not justify very aggressive defense of self in what ever manner was needed to maintain your possession of your gun! and to stop the aggressor's assault upon you?

Last edited:

Va_Nemo

Being one of those few persons who is not affected much by pepper spray (needs to be the good stuff, heavy dose to work) would it be proper to just shoot her for attempted robbery?

Nemo

mikeyb

View attachment 13301

How would you respond to this person's threat of taking your firearm?

Several of the responses are that just that act of pepper spraying is a means to exert lethal force. Would lethal force be justified in that case?

To your Qs:
1. "OC is legal, you daft, dumb dimtwit."
2. Lethal force is not justified on the situation presented. Pepper spray is not lethal.

Now, taken as a whole, this person is advocating violence of- depending upon state/city laws- completely legal actions. Local law enforcement should be notified of this threat.

WalkingWolf

Nemo, I don't believe so as pepper spray is "nonlethal". From what I've read over the past several years, use of lethal force against a smaller opponent using nonlethal force COULD get you in a peck of trouble. Remember, this tweet was made by someone using a female name. If a woman tried this and got killed for her effort by a man, NOT good. Another woman of similar size MIGHT be able to avoid prosecution.

But, as so many say, "IANAL". So don't quote me!!
:D

Once a criminal has your gun the disparity of force goes out the window, especially after being peppered sprayed. If she did it to an off duty cop I could almost guarantee lead poisoning as the result. For someone with heart, and or lung issues it could be deadly, justifying lethal force. IF she got the gun, then the BUG would be used, and clearly justified. But I would not get into an online urinating contest with her, though in NC she could be charged with conveying a threat for her post.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Once a criminal has your gun the disparity of force goes out the window, especially after being peppered sprayed. If she did it to an off duty cop I could almost guarantee lead poisoning as the result. For someone with heart, and or lung issues it could be deadly, justifying lethal force. IF she got the gun, then the BUG would be used, and clearly justified. But I would not get into an online urinating contest with her, though in NC she could be charged with conveying a threat for her post.

Adding, IF someone attempts to acquire my firearm from me by force--- just how AM I to tell what that person's ultimate intentions are-- even as a NON-LEO? It is very reasonable to believe in my mind that I would be in a fight for my life and the use of force, potentially even lethal force, is justified.

utbagpiper

Banned
Adding, IF someone attempts to acquire my firearm from me by force--- just how AM I to tell what that person's ultimate intentions are-- even as a NON-LEO? It is very reasonable to believe in my mind that I would be in a fight for my life and the use of force, potentially even lethal force, is justified.

Amen. No rational man is going to try to take a gun from me unless he believes he can gain control of it without getting hurt. So anyone trying to unlawfully take a gun from me is either irrational, or believes he can take it from me without me being able to stop him or hurt him. If he believes it, that is good enough for me to act upon.

Not only do I have the right to defend myself from what any such person trying to unlawfully disarm me might intend to do once I'm disarmed, but some might go so far as to suggest I have at least a moral obligation not to let my firearm fall into the hands of a violent criminal.

What is the practical difference between letting some random BG take my gun without all necessary physical effort to retain it, and simply leaving the gun lying about on a sidewalk?

Charles

Rasher

And lets not forget that she has posted her intended actions on the web, making her actions premeditated, and we all watch enuff news to know how quickly things can get outa hand when things dont go as the "criminal" has planned. I also carry a Very sharp knife and often a bug, and a former TKD instuctor lets just say fight would be ON.

The Truth

This person is assuming the OC'd gun is the only gun on the person. What a dummy.

The safety pin is enough to know that this person would NEVER actually do this.

Ignore it.

WalkingWolf

And therein lies the rub. We are not LEOs and prosecutors will take a slanted view if a man were to kill a woman, even after she takes his gun.

We aren't mind readers Joe. That's why there are laws that are mainly used to "punish" the offenders. What mayhem they create leading up to their prosecution is anybody's guess.

Prosecutors sometimes take a slanted view of LEO's, not as much as they used to. I had a friend who defended himself with his radio when attacked with a knife, he was convicted of battery. Years later the courts overturned his conviction.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Being one of those few persons who is not affected much by pepper spray Nemo

surprise....your "weapon" is not very effective, and I kick your azz

This person is assuming the OC'd gun is the only gun on the person. What a dummy.

The safety pin is enough to know that this person would NEVER actually do this.

Ignore it.

This is Truth. Pepper spray is really not that effective, I will still be functional and that will be a problem for my adversary.

One firearm? Please.

The "safety pin" will offer her no protection. She is a keyboard commando with no experience (note the safety pin). If someone like this, emboldened by the rhetoric of the left, attempted this act they would be very surprised at the outcome.