• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I go both ways!

Murphy

Wait!
That's NOT what I meant!!!!

:lol:

Okay seriousness here now....

I OC and CC....

When I am by myself, I OC. I prefer it that way.
When I am with my lady, I CC simply because she thinks "it draws attention", and she doesn't like to have any attention drawn to her.
Some of her arguments were a bit silly and emotional based, but in the long run, to make her feel more at ease, I CC around her when we go out.

We enjoy ourselves and can defend ourselves.

I don't have a CC vs OC beef and just wished that the hardheads on both sides could understand the reasoning behind peoples choices...

WOD

I hear you, I have a CPL, so I can enjoy both methods of carry. It's difficult to fully conceal a G 21, so I don't try too hard. As far as I'm concerned, I'm open carrying in either mode, that's my mindset.

porterhouse83

My thoughts are there are too many Anti's fighting against gun owners that we shouldn't be fighting eachother. If we can't respect a persons prefered method of carry how can we expect the anti gun folks to respect our 2A rights as a whole?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Support OC, CC, and noC - the real point is that we support the individual right, the freedom, to make that decision.

Regarding infighting and open dissension, yes we can be our own worst protagonists. "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Regarding infighting and open dissension, yes we can be our own worst antagonists. "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Fixed it for ya. Of course, if "we have met the enemy and he is us," then I guess it could be both.

Appreciate it - my fingers must have been too quick and my mind wondered. :p

Yes "antagonist" is what I intended.

Malcolm

So you go both ways? thats funny.

Any who, I agree on the matter of the freedom to do it or not do it. Whatever. I OC because I'm 5'4 and carry a full size 1911 and I live in AZ. It's not a jacket weather kind of place. Aside from that, its comfortable and fast. Someday I'll buy a smaller gun for CC but down here it doesn't really matter. I feel that anytime you leave your property and go into the world, your putting yourself into the danger the world brings. Be it criminals, bad LEO encounters, ignorant citizens (that are voters) and everything else so the importance of being prepared and vigilant be OC, CC or noC is all the same.
I will say the rules of engagement are different when armed vs. not armed and CC vs. OC but each side has its points that are valid.

scott58dh

Seinfeld " Not that there is anything wrong with that"

Wait!
That's NOT what I meant!!!!

:lol:

Okay seriousness here now....

I OC and CC....

When I am by myself, I OC. I prefer it that way.
When I am with my lady, I CC simply because she thinks "it draws attention", and she doesn't like to have any attention drawn to her.
Some of her arguments were a bit silly and emotional based, but in the long run, to make her feel more at ease, I CC around her when we go out.

We enjoy ourselves and can defend ourselves.

I don't have a CC vs OC beef and just wished that the hardheads on both sides could understand the reasoning behind peoples choices...

Seinfeld " Not that there is anything wrong with that" :exclaim::lol:
:arrow:;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZPcGapl2dM

modernknight

So I have my CWL since I left the Army at the end of 2009. I just turned 22 at that point. My girl moved up here to Washington to be with me in September 2010, got engaged December 31st, 2010. Until about April 2011, she never even knew I had a gun, let alone had been packing and carried a CWL. Since I found out about OC, probably on Friday, I've been OC'ing instead. Of course, before engaging in it got her opinion, and what she would prefer, if it bothered her. Of course her response is "I could careless either way" (man, so glad I'm marrying this woman....Not a huge fan of weapons, but she knows it's part of life, and no one would ever stop to use one on her if they had a chance...).

I do both now. In Washington, the weather has been back and forth. But when the sun is finally showing it's face, I'm certainly not going to change my clothing just to try and "conceal" my gun when I have a perfectly good shirt and shorts, not to mention a full sized S&W .45 ACP is a bit hard to conceal in the first place... (Not M&P or Compact size...).

I do enjoy open carry and conceal carry. I believe either has their place and time. Either way, we're all on the same side, and we all do either or, or both, for the same reason in the end. Personal protection/self-defense (not to mention it's our right). If you don't carry, then it's your choice :) (though I don't see why you'd be on this website???)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So I have my CWL since I left the Army at the end of 2009. I just turned 22 at that point. My girl moved up here to Washington to be with me in September 2010, got engaged December 31st, 2010. Until about April 2011, she never even knew I had a gun, let alone had been packing and carried a CWL. Since I found out about OC, probably on Friday, I've been OC'ing instead. Of course, before engaging in it got her opinion, and what she would prefer, if it bothered her. Of course her response is "I could careless either way" (man, so glad I'm marrying this woman....Not a huge fan of weapons, but she knows it's part of life, and no one would ever stop to use one on her if they had a chance...).

I do both now. In Washington, the weather has been back and forth. But when the sun is finally showing it's face, I'm certainly not going to change my clothing just to try and "conceal" my gun when I have a perfectly good shirt and shorts, not to mention a full sized S&W .45 ACP is a bit hard to conceal in the first place... (Not M&P or Compact size...).

I do enjoy open carry and conceal carry. I believe either has their place and time. Either way, we're all on the same side, and we all do either or, or both, for the same reason in the end. Personal protection/self-defense (not to mention it's our right). If you don't carry, then it's your choice :) (though I don't see why you'd be on this website???)

You gotta keeper, so keep her. Take her to the range - warning it can be habit forming. :lol:

modernknight

You gotta keeper, so keep her. Take her to the range - warning it can be habit forming. :lol:

Haha! It was quite amusing the first time I took her out. She got the full load, she managed to shoot a 12-gauge shot gun (military style, tac. black, my friend's), a Glock 9mm (the same friend's), my other buddy's AR-15 (which I must say was her favorite to shoot, at least she got to feel what it was like shooting an M4 like I had), then my dad's British 303 rifle, and my .45. For her first time shooting, she did pretty well. I gave her two rounds to shoot at first, and glad I didn't give her more. Gotta teach her to line up targets better, because she jerked it almost straight up on the first shot, and then dropped it down and immediately shot without lining up, and told her she's going through a shooting course before I buy her her own gun, lol. :) But yes, it is quite fun, taking a couple hundred rounds out and just blowing them away on some unneeded kid's toy or something (buddy had brought his sons broken electronic toy that they drive around...lol) and a barbie doll, definitely wasn't bringing that one back with us :) (And actually my avatar picture was from that day!)

GONZO!!!

I tend to CC about 90% of the time...I used to CC 100% of the time but since joining this forum, I have been "stretching my wings" so to speak...I am very concious, however, of where i am going and who i am around. I am not a "2nd Amendment is the law and my right and so you have to suck it up" type of guy (although i am a strong supporter of the Constitution)...I believe in holding a higher standard of personal and public responsibility and appearance. I OC when I feel appropriate but will always revert back to CC if i need to. Personal safety of myself and more importantly my family is paramount and if that means CCing 100% of the time in order to ensure that I always have my personal protection with me, than thats what I will do.

I have opened carried at Starbucks, several Walmarts in different cities, and a few other stores. I do get some looks but since I am dressed in dress pants, dress shirt and tie, they must all assume I am a LEO. I do not try to pass off as one but I guess it is the manner of dress and the way I conduct myself. During the Chik-Fiil-A Wednesday support on 8/1, i was OCing my full size 1911 cocked and locked in my Blackhawk holster. I was standing right next to a table of LEOs who were eyeball-to-holster level with my 1911 and not one of them gave me a second look. Again, could it be because of my manner of dress? Probably.

I guess i could be viewed differently if I was OCing and I had baggy shorts hanging below my butt cheeks, a dirty tank top and flip flops.

I have my Blackhawk Serpa CQC as well as my IWB holster in my car at all times. In a moment's notice, again depending on the situation, i can opt for either OC or CC.

I do appreciate all of you who OC 100% of the time (or attempt to). You have inspired me to test the waters of liberty.

Thanks all...

GONZO!!!

JohnMoses

I think OC and CC are both great. If it's the dead of winter, it's much easier to CC, if it's 100 degrees then it is much more comfortable to OC.
I do think there is a lot of unfounded paranoia about OC. That's a different topic for a different day.

since9

Campaign Veteran
How I carry often depends as much on how I feel as it does where I'm going. I CC to the movies, plays, and concerts, and usually OC everywhere else, unless I know I'll be within 1,000' of a school...

Also, I only OC when I'm on top of my game. If I'm not feeling well, or sore from too much hiking or exercise, I'll CC, but I won't OC.