• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I never thought I'd say this...

TexasOC

...but I did my first OC today! I've lurked on these forums before, but never posted anything. Thought I would share the experience with y'all.

I'm from Texas, where (as most probably know) OC is illegal with handguns. However, I travel to Wichita every so often for work. Although I fully support constitutional carry, I've never really had an interest in OCing myself... I CC whenever and wherever feasible. Today I decided "what the hell" and gave OC a try.

Boy, was I nervous...

BUT, I pretty much had no issues. First, I went to Northern Tool & Equipment to pick up a tool bag I needed. Browsed around for a bit, found a bag, headed to the register. A couple of male employees were definitely keeping an eye on me, but nobody said anything. The cashier was cheery and cordial.

Next, headed over to My Tho to pick up some Vietnamese sandwiches, which I've heard are excellent (I wasn't impressed, but that's another story). It was very busy, and I was standing smack-dab in the middle of the restaurant, for all the world to see, waiting for my to-go order. Employees were very nice, and again, nobody said anything to me.

I then stopped by QT to grab some windshield wiper fluid. Of course, there's a WPD cruiser parked outside! I almost turned around and left out of nervousness, but decided to stick it out. Walked right by the cops inside the store... they noticed that I was OCing but didn't even bat an eye. No story to tell.

At this point, I'm feeling confident! I ran a few other errands, grabbed a coffee at Starbucks, and turned in.

I'm kind of a quiet person, and generally don't strike up a whole lot of conversations with strangers. So the lack of feedback from others (positive or negative) was a good thing in my book. Overall a great experience, and so much more comfortable than CCing, especially in the summer. Just need to get over the jitters. I will definitely OC again in the future while I'm traveling... just not at home in TX :banghead:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Welcome to the forum (officially a member now).

Work to get constitutional carry in whatever manner people wish to carry.

Good luck in your carrying.

Super6O

Welcome to both the forum and to KS! (Even if only temporarily). I carry in the Wichita area and you picked a good time to try OC as Wichita recently repealed all its gun and knife laws ahead of state preemption next week.

I personally have had the same experience with WPD. I dont know the officers personal feelings of course, but they leave you alone for handgun OC.

I certainly hope you and our good friends in Texas can get hangun OC legal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Outstanding!

Now write to your Texas state legislators and tell them about it!

Rusty Young Man

TexasOC said:
SNIP...
I then stopped by QT to grab some windshield wiper fluid. Of course, there's a WPD cruiser parked outside! I almost turned around and left out of nervousness, but decided to stick it out. Walked right by the cops inside the store... they noticed that I was OCing but didn't even bat an eye. No story to tell.

At this point, I'm feeling confident! I ran a few other errands, grabbed a coffee at Starbucks, and turned in.

I'm kind of a quiet person, and generally don't strike up a whole lot of conversations with strangers. So the lack of feedback from others (positive or negative) was a good thing in my book. Overall a great experience, and so much more comfortable than CCing, especially in the summer. Just need to get over the jitters. I will definitely OC again in the future while I'm traveling... just not at home in TX :banghead:

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Tucson (AZ) TexasOC!:)

Sounds like you had a pretty eventful non-event first OC.:p
Remember the feeling and think about how great it would be to have the same experience in Texas. After you've imagined it, fight for it.:cool:

TexasOC

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I was carrying my 9mm XDs, which is my concealed EDC back in Texas.

Would be nice to OC a full sized pistol though. We're working on it in Texas. Couldn't get it done last session, but there is support for OC in the legislature and amongst the public, so I'm hoping we'll get it done in the next couple of years. Things move slowly in the world of politics.

Congrats on the new Kansas law going into effect tomorrow. I read all about it (and the recent changes in Wichita law) BEFORE my OC, as any good gun owner would. One thing we've done right in Texas is implement full state-preemption, which is especially relevant to me since I live in Austin.

Safe carrying!

Mighty8

"At this point, I'm feeling confident! I ran a few other errands, grabbed a..."

...but I did my first OC today! I've lurked on these forums before, but never posted anything. Thought I would share the experience with y'all.

I'm from Texas, where (as most probably know) OC is illegal with handguns. However, I travel to Wichita every so often for work. Although I fully support constitutional carry, I've never really had an interest in OCing myself... I CC whenever and wherever feasible. Today I decided "what the hell" and gave OC a try.

Boy, was I nervous...

BUT, I pretty much had no issues. First, I went to Northern Tool & Equipment to pick up a tool bag I needed. Browsed around for a bit, found a bag, headed to the register. A couple of male employees were definitely keeping an eye on me, but nobody said anything. The cashier was cheery and cordial.

Next, headed over to My Tho to pick up some Vietnamese sandwiches, which I've heard are excellent (I wasn't impressed, but that's another story). It was very busy, and I was standing smack-dab in the middle of the restaurant, for all the world to see, waiting for my to-go order. Employees were very nice, and again, nobody said anything to me.

Welcome to the open carry world! Just an aside: Starbucks, in September 2013, placed full page adds "respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where "open carry" is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel,". They did not come out and ban guns from their stores or eating areas, but they came close. This is just FYI.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to the open carry world! Just an aside: Starbucks, in September 2013, placed full page adds "respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where "open carry" is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel,". They did not come out and ban guns from their stores or eating areas, but they came close. This is just FYI.

I hadn't heard about the ads. I thought it was just corporate memos and media coverage. Does anyone have a copy of one of these "full page ads?" In which market did they run?

Richieg150

I'm not a coffee drinker BUT..... since the Starbucks add of them respectfully requesting no firearms in their stores EXCEPT LEO's, I respectfully declined their request..... IF I go in to one of their stores, and I have with friends who like their coffee drinks, I am going to be able to defend myself.... MY life is as important to me as a LEO in their stores, BECAUSE criminals don't obey, requests, signs, or the law. If asked to leave I will leave, just as I entered their store....armed.... Nothing personal.... just business as usual.