• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idiot Letter to Editor in Tennessean

WCrawford

imported post

I read another stupid letter to the editor in the Tennessean (Jan 6, 2010) today.

Here is the text (as the link won't last too long).
After reading the Jan. 1 article “Guns-in-bars supporters not discouraged by poll,” it became more apparent to me our legislature is not working for the majority of the people they represent.

When almost 70 percent polled state they oppose the law passed that allows handguns in restaurants that serve liquor, it shows the special interests are being represented instead of the majority of the citizens.

I’ll continue to patronize the establishments that engage in the common sense of not allowing guns, but don’t get me wrong. I support our gun rights but also support guns in the right places.

David Maclean, NASHVILLE 37205
And my (as of this writing) unpublished response:
David Maclean stated, "I support our gun rights but also support guns in the right places."

I have to ask, where are the right places? It seems to me that the right places are those that ban guns. Why? Because that is where the vast majority of this country's mass shooting have taken place.

Nov. 5, 2009 at Ft. Hood Texas: 13 soldiers killed and 30 wounded in a place that non-law enforcement is not allowed to carry a weapon for defense.A

April 3, 2009 in Birmingham, NY: 13 killed in in a state that won't issue carry permits to its "subjects".

Feb. 14, 2008 at Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL: 5 dead and 18 wounded at a gun free zone in a state that doesn't recognize its "subjects" right to self defense.

Dec. 5, 2007 at a mall in Omaha, NE: 8 dead and 5 wounded in a gun free zone.

April 16, 2007 at Virginia Tech: 32 dead, cowering under desks, because they were in a gun free zone.

Feb. 12, 2007 in a mall in Salt Lake City, UT: 5 dead and 4 wounded in a gun free zone.

Oct. 2, 2006 at West Nickel Amish School in PA: 5 children killed in a gun free zone where no one could have attempted to save them.

March 21, 2005 at Red Lake HS in Red Lake, MN: 7 dead and 7 wounded in this gun free zone.

March 12, 2005 in Brookfield, WI: 7 dead and 4 wounded at a church gathering in a hotel in a state that will not allow its "subjects" to carry for self defense.

These are just a few examples. There are only two common denominators. Gun free zones have plenty of potential victims and criminals don't follow the law.

suntzu

imported post

You have to understand how the Communist Tennessean and Commie Appeal both get their "polls"--they poll each other and only accept the views which support their already flawed poll question.

Seriously though--the "poll" questions are written/framed from a psychological standpoint in order to draw a pre-determined answer. There is nothing "scientific" or "unbiased" about poll questions. It is all about spreading fear and sowing panic--that is why they keep terming it a "guns in bars" bill.

WCrawford

imported post

suntzu wrote:
You have to understand how the Communist Tennessean and Commie Appeal both get their "polls"--they poll each other and only accept the views which support their already flawed poll question.

Seriously though--the "poll" questions are written/framed from a psychological standpoint in order to draw a pre-determined answer. There is nothing "scientific" or "unbiased" about poll questions. It is all about spreading fear and sowing panic--that is why they keep terming it a "guns in bars" bill.

You know this, I know this, but how do we get the average voter to understand this? [Rhetorical]

I'd love to see a Rassmussen (sp?) poll on the subject covering at least 5000 likely voters from around Tennessee.

On a side note, I'm still waiting to hear back from Dwight Lewis on the issue of "gun violence". Maybe I should drop him another email.

suntzu

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
suntzu wrote:

You know this, I know this, but how do we get the average voter to understand this? [Rhetorical]

I'd love to see a Rassmussen (sp?) poll on the subject covering at least 5000 likely voters from around Tennessee.

On a side note, I'm still waiting to hear back from Dwight Lewis on the issue of "gun violence". Maybe I should drop him another email.
Considering your Rhetorical question above really wasn't meant to obtain a response--I'll do so anyway.

The "average person" on the street is too busy to care about how poll questions are constructed. They are too busy with collegiate and professional sports, they are too busy being involved with governmental "good citizen" and "compulsory consideration of others training"--which means to say that the government is trying it's utmost level best to get the people to believe that they [the government] can and does protect them, and that our society would be best served by being more British-like. The people are too worried with the latest terror warning and being scared __________less by the government and their ""elevated threat condition", they are too busy being told that the police are their friend. And to a big extent--many are simply too worried with trying to live from paycheck to paycheck to worry about their rights or how polls are constructed.

You know all of the above of course as do I and many others here who come to this board.

As to your email on gun violence--liberals don't like being faced with facts--it scares them to be faced with someone who actually knows facts and can conduct a reasonable argument and who isn't easily dissuaded by an emotion only argument devoid of actual, presentable facts.

As for the Rasmussen poll--I'm the type to never put any faith in polls issued by newspapers or news organizations or anti-gun groups--because they write the questions as already stated--to elicit a previously determined response.

Now--how to get positive information into the public eye--write commentaries and letters to the editor--maybe won't get printed--maybe they will.