• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ignorance at Orem Gunnies

Outsider

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Went to the Orem Gunnies today to get a closer view of the SA XDs so that I could make a decision regarding size, when I do get the money to buy it, anyway, I signed in at the cash register, as per their posted policy, then went back to the gun counter. The guy who helped me was a guy who I had known to work at the American Fork Cal-ranch. When I was looking at the XDs, which by the way, I have decided on a .40 S&W Service model in OD. anyway I asked if it was okay that I compare the size of my S&W Model 10 to the service model, he asked me if it was unloaded and I said that it was. When I had it next to the XD he picked my model 10 up as if to examine it, which i had no problem with. He swung out the cylinder and says to me " This is loaded! " Too which I respond, according to state law it is. Then, as he knows who I am, and that I'm not 21, he says that I'm not supposed to even possess a handgun, at which point I'm slightly annoyed, and I tell him to give it back to me. he reluctantly hands it back to me and I proceed to try and educate him on the law. He responds by grabbing a copy of Mitch Vilos book about utah gun law. While flipping through the book he tells me that OC is illegal, inviting trouble, that the LEO's could arrest me on a "Disturbing the peace" charge if anybody felt uncomfortable or threatened, and that Orem had some OC restriction in place. Then he stops on a page in the book, says "There it says right there." Then when I ask to see, he closes the book and puts it behind the counter. He refuses to change his mind despite me knowing not only the laws but the code numbers of those laws. Then I go back to the area where they keep there books, pick up the same book and proceed to tear apart his "laws" which were all bogus according to that book. He threatens to kick me out of the store, and I say that I won't be shopping there again. Tommorrow I'm calling and speaking with a manager about the situation. Their policy is that if you carry in the store, that you sign in at the register. All you have to do is fill out the model, caliber, make, then sign your name. Seems decently reasonable to me. As long as they're not busy, I have no problem with that policy. I'm just really annoyed about how stubborn he was. Even when proved wrong beyond a doubt, he still persisted. There's a line between passionate and just stupid. He crossed it. Anyone wanna go to Gunnies?

PVT McDonald
I was at Gunnies twice today and open carried. No one, including the guys in the guns department and at the cashiers didn't say anything to me. The owner's wife was there and didn't say anything either.

Btw, Blazer Brass is $16.99 for 50 rounds at Gunnies where at Wal-Mart they are $12.99. I wish I had known that this morning!!!

thx997303

imported post

So, I went to Gunnies yesterday, to buy an M44, and decided to remind Brian (the one that gave me the problems) that he was wrong, and it was funny.

I mentioned to him that I had spoken to Mitch about the situation, and that he agreed with me, You know Utah Uniform Code. He just looks at me and so "Okay, whatever....." and then blew me off.

Some people just refuse to learn.

Outsider

imported post

Probably would have been best not to bring it up to the person, might be taken very very wrong. I would have just written the Gunnies Owner and informed them of the situation and such. That is how I got the stuff at Sportman's Warehouse sorted out. I'm going to be sending a follow-up e-mail to the store manager and see how it went at SW. Should just do the same with Gunnies, thx.

thx997303

imported post

Already did, He was just so smug about it. Really pissed me off.

I'm not going to say what I did was the best way. But the problem is that when I took it up with a manager, she would only correct his customer service skills.

She wouldn't say anything about the laws.

I don't think that this guy in particular is going to listen to anyone.

Outsider

imported post

I went to Gunnies this evening and went to look at a CC holster. Now the Springfield XD 4" service is not a CC gun as we found out. I tried a Galco and it wasn't very nice and decided not to get one. I went up to the counter and took my gun off with my gun in it and set it on the counter pointing away from everyone (guy behind the counter, Bryan, and my wife). I took the magazine from XD because I was trying a Galco that also had a magazine pouch on it.

Bryan of Gunnies asked me, "Is there a round in the chamber?"

I replied, "Yes. Would you like me to unload it?"

"Yes," he replied. I did away from everyone. "Did you register it up front," he asked.
"No, was I suppose to?"

"Yes. Go register it."

So I went up found there was a book you had to register it at and I put everything except the serial number down. I came back and said, "I've been here many times and have never been told that."

I tried on the Galco using their XD and my magazine and found that it didn't fit quite right and that I was printing. So decided not to get it. He then asked me if I had my CFP.

"Yes, I do."

"Just wondering and just so you know that if you open carry loaded it is a [font="Arial,Helvetica"]misdemeanor."

"No, it isn't."

"Yes, it is."

I then told him I had researched this out and that I read Mitch Vilos book that I bought on the other side of the store. I cited a few codes for him and that having a CFP exempted me 76-10-505 (I actually cited 76-10-501 by accident). He said, "I don't think so." I continued and told him about H.B. 473 where the AG, Clark, and Representative Oda talked about this and that I could carry down Center Street loaded or unloaded when open. If I don't have my CFP then I have to carry open unloaded. If I have my CFP I can carry open or concealed, unloaded or loaded.

With that I put the Galco back on the rack and went back to the counter to look at a few other firearms and asked a few questions. I put my gun back on, put the clip in and holstered it. He asked if I had charged the weapon and I replied no.

So, THX was right that you have to register you gun at the front, which I don't understand and neither does my wife. When I left I looked at the sign that said if you are doing Firearm Repairs that you have register it up front. How am I suppose to know if I don't see the book on the counter? Every time I come in they greet me and I just go along my way without another word.

I'll be writing the Gunnies Owner about this and hopefully they can teach their employees in firearms the proper laws.
[/font]

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I believe it is the policy of most stores to unload and sign in if you plan on removing your firearm from its holster for any reason. If your plan to leave your firearm holstered, then there is no need to sign in.

Nobody at Gunnies has ever questioned my openly carried Glock. Maybe your choice of firearm is bothering them. :p

Outsider

imported post

They are the ones that showed me the XD for the first time. Yeah, I don't get what it was, but I'll see if they have me register it the next time I go.

thx997303

imported post

Brian is the problem one, he's the ignorant SOB that I have been having problems with. Everyone else there is cool.

Their policy is that if you are having your firearm repaired or are trading it in, then you have to sign in up front.

If you are not doing that, DO NOT SIGN IN. Don't give in to Brian, and report his bad customer service, he does this over and over again.

Don't let him get away with it.

Hey! Let's all go down to Gunnies, OCing of course, and complain about Brian. That oughta straighten him out.

thx997303

imported post

Oh, and dang it Outsider, Buy an M44 or something! Just a pistol aint gonna cut the mustard in a SHTF scenario.

Outsider

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Brian is the problem one, he's the ignorant SOB that I have been having problems with. Everyone else there is cool.

Their policy is that if you are having your firearm repaired or are trading it in, then you have to sign in up front.

If you are not doing that, DO NOT SIGN IN. Don't give in to Brian, and report his bad customer service, he does this over and over again.

Don't let him get away with it.

Hey! Let's all go down to Gunnies, OCing of course, and complain about Brian. That oughta straighten him out.
I'm goign to check with the manager/owner himself. Going to place a call tomorrow (Monday). We'll see what we get.

Outsider

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
I believe it is the policy of most stores to unload and sign in if you plan on removing your firearm from its holster for any reason. If your plan to leave your firearm holstered, then there is no need to sign in.

Nobody at Gunnies has ever questioned my openly carried Glock. Maybe your choice of firearm is bothering them. :p
So I just called Gunnies of Orem and talked to the Gun Department Manager Austin. I asked him about the registering of a firearm when you come in. He said it is on the front door and that if you OC into the store you have to check it in at the front and it has to been unloaded. He said it was for the safety of the customers and the staff. I said okay and told him that the sign on the front door doesn't say that, that it just talks about getting firearms repaired. He basically blew me off. I told him I OCed before and talked to the owner herself one day and she didn't say anything even though she looked straight at it.

I then informed him about Bryan and the meeting we had on Saturday which I already have told you all about earlier. Austin basically blew me off defended Bryan instead of telling me "thank you for your concern, blah blah blah" and again he wasn't very customer friendly.

I'm kinda getting upset with Gunnies and might just goto Sportman's Warehouse in Provo. But going to send an e-mail to the one listed on their website and see what I get.

So the investigation continues.

scorpioajr

imported post

Ya - i have never tried to OC in the Orem Gunnies, but I have tried buying a rifle from them once. The guy behind the counter was a total tool and had ZERO customer service skills. Because of that fact - i left the store and spent my money somewhere else. My buddy went there this weekend and i guess they haven't changed much - he got the same Mouthy-attitude i got. So not much is changed...

Outsider

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
The sign only says if you are having your firearms repaired or traded.

I would not register it.
Exactly! But he says there is one out there where you have to register which I looked for and didn't see.

EDIT:
Here is one thing I don't understand that I forgot to add to my e-mail to Gunnies or on here. When I was talking to Austin he said that, by store policy, if you open carry you have to register it and unload it. That is only if you open carry. Reason: it is safer for the customers and employees.

Now I know I did already say that but the other side was about concealed carry. Austin said that if you conceal carry all the power to you and that is fine. You don't have to register it and it can be loaded, but you don't have to register or unload it.

Does that make sense? It is safer for everyone around to have a weapon in plain view (so you know who has one) but it has to be registered and unloaded. BUT if you have it concealed you are MUCH safer to everyone else around because they can't see it and don't know who all has a firearm.

Comments? I just don't get this thinking and neither does THX or my wife.

thx997303

imported post

I honestly believe that it is a power trip thing. They want to control every firearm in there. The only reason you don't have to register a concealed weapon is that they don't know that it is there, so they wont have the chance to tell you you have to register.

Just my thoughts.