• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indian reservations

Vegassteve

If you do a search in the NV forum I think I posted a letter from a tribe hre in NV that allows carry in the car. Every tribe is different though.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Indian reservations are, for all intents and purposes, foreign countries. FOPA is supposed to cover you while you are transiting the reservation, but making any kind of stop while doing so could end up with time, money, and lawyers involved. Of course, if you are doing nothing to attract attention you should not have anything to worry about.

If you have a specific reservation in mind, contact them to ask your questions.

stay safe.

Dreamer

Also, remember that if you have a CC permit, it is almost CERTAINLY not recognized on any Reservation. I don't know of a single Reservation in the US that has reciprocity agreements with ANY state--even the states that surround them...

GWbiker

There are 21 Indian reservations in Arizona. If you are otherwise carrying lawfully, you may carry on federal and state highways that cross reservations. If you are not an American Indian, a reservation cannot prosecute you for carrying a firearm if your carry is legal in the surrounding county. However, if your firearm should be confiscated, it is up to the tribe if it wishes to provide you a means to seek its return; you cannot sue a tribe unless it consents to be sued. A privately conducted 2005 survey of 20 of the 21 reservations asked if they honored the Arizona CWP:
1. Ak-Chin Yes
2. Cocopah No
3. Colorado River Yes
4. Fort McDowell Yavapai Yes
5. Fort Mojave No
6. Fort Yuma-Quechan Yes
7. Gila River No
8. Havasupai No
9. Hopi Yes
10. Haulapai No
11. Kaibab-Paiute No
12. Navajo Yes
13. Pascua Yaqui No
14. Salt River Pima-Maricopa No
15. San Carlos Apache Yes
16. Tohono O’odham Yes
17. Tonto Apache No
18. White Mountain Apache Yes
19. Yavapai Prescott No
20. Yavapai Apache No

Note that tribal governments may change, that open carry is likely to be viewed as provocative if you are not engaged in a licensed hunt and that many tribes don’t allow their own members to carry deadly weapons.

The above list for Arizona Reservations is five years old but gives readers a general idea on how Tribes view CCW permits on THEIR land.

It **IS** their land, their rules and they have their own Police, therefore it's never a good idea to OC on a Reservation.

sudden valley gunner

One thing to remember is the "tribal", family make up of reservations and a huge emphasis on respect.

I have carried a few times on my local reservation I have family there though and many know who I am. (helps to have a greatgrandfather who was the last chief, he carved the totem in Seattles Times square).

But there are some who carry (me included) on Tulalip reservation too. They have opened a large Wal-mart and shopping complex, and the chief of the tribal police is fine with it as long as no scenes are made.

Being armed is a traditional heritage for many indians and many do own and carry firearms. Of course I can only speak for my local tribe. (being only 1/4 native can't really even do that)