• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ipod touch as recorder?

eye95

I don't know about an ipod, but here are the issues when I've tried to use my smart phone instead of a $30 dedicated recorder:

-- Battery life (hours vs. weeks)
-- Recording quality (hard to hear vs. crystal clear)
-- Set and forget (something is going to stop the recording vs. it never misses a thing)

On all three issues, the $30 dedicated recorder kicks smart phone butt. When I realize that I have forgotten my recorder, my phone does in a pinch, but it is impractical to turn it on and let it run, so, in an encounter, I'd have to turn it on. That opportunity might not present itself.

Get a dedicated recorder. Turn it one when you leave the house. If nothing happens, delete the recording when you get home. Replace the batteries every few weeks.

KBCraig

Which version? The 4th generation (the current model) is the first to have a built in microphone; all others have to have an external microphone (either part of the ear buds, or an attached dongle.

Other than that, it works exactly like an iPhone: quite well. There are a number of apps for recording, including some that don't give any clue to a casual observer that an app is running.