• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Oak Harbor going to follow Seattle into lawsuit club?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Please don't get me wrong here, I am all for moving ahead on the issue, I am a firm believer having your ducks in order so it is not thrown out and have to do it all over or worse case scenario to live with a misguided ruling as in the Sequim case.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Here is the comment section and the Mayor's comments. I am a bit torn on whether to go to meetings or stay away because if members keep "taking their ball and going home" they will never get anything done.
http://www.oakharbor.org/video-view.cfm?series=33&id=249

http://www.oakharbor.org/video-view.cfm?series=33&id=262

This is even more of a reason to attend and carry, if they are so misplaced in their conception of their duties as a council member then why would you or anyone trust in their further carrying out their duties?

The first video, when it got to the council member introducing a motion to have the gentlemen secure his firearm with the Chief of Police, Police Station or to leave was unbelievable.

The two council members in support of violating a citizens rights need to look for work else where.

Alpine

Watched the whole thing. Amazing ignorance from almost every city council member, but good comments from the Mayor at the end.

Should be a wake-up call in the next election for Oak Harbor residents, some of those people are legally incompetent and could lead the city to be sued.

wolf-father

Do not put the blame for government disruption on those citizens merely exercising their rights. Put the blame squarely on those individuals that are disrupting the government process. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why the city council can't do their normal business with a law abiding citizen lawfully carrying a firearm in the room.

If mom is afraid to take her kids to the park because you have your gun there, is the answer for you to just stay away? Catering to the anti-gun crowd and backing down just because they complain is the reason they have so much traction right now. Instead of us just staying away, we need to force them to learn how to do business with us and our guns around.

I totally agree. Jim's response really got me. What I think is really funny is the is the guy who is terrified of guns is still sitting right next to the guy he knows has a gun in the end. And how in the world did come up with the idea that we were agitated.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Watching the video.... facepalm doesn't cut it. It really just boggles my mind. All these fools so scared of "random people with guns" yet every one of them well go get in their cars and share the road with thousands of other "random people" operating dangerous objects that could at any moment do them great bodily harm or worse.

Especially on dark, narrow, winding SR20/525, all those people flying past them doing 60+ who could AT ANY MOMENT veer into their lane, they do not fear this yet they do fear one of those same people in the room with a gun.

hermannr

Watching the video.... facepalm doesn't cut it. It really just boggles my mind. All these fools so scared of "random people with guns" yet every one of them well go get in their cars and share the road with thousands of other "random people" operating dangerous objects that could at any moment do them great bodily harm or worse.

Especially on dark, narrow, winding SR20/525, all those people flying past them doing 60+ who could AT ANY MOMENT veer into their lane, they do not fear this yet they do fear one of those same people in the room with a gun.

LOL: Remonds me of driving to town with my wife...(we live on a mountain, narrow two lane, no pulloffs)...logging truck goes zooming down the hill...my wife gets all excited...I just said, as long as we are not trying to use the same piece of raod at the same time, it's not a problem...:)

Anyway, these people on the council that act this way should be challenged at the next election, if not recalled before. You don't even need to talk about guns, just the fact they thumb their nose up at state law.

Thor80

I wish I could attend with you all, but that would be quite a day trip from the Idaho Border.... I do have to say though that if I had to move from Spokane, with a Mayor like Mr. Dudley I would definitely put Oak Harbor at the top of my list! As for the other few council members, do they even listen to what comes out of their own mouths? :banghead: When will people realize that bad people will do bad things no matter what their "regulations" say. Again, we are all pretty sure that the Theater in Aurora kindly asked people to leave their defense tools behind when they went to go watch Batman and again in Newtown, CT at Sandy Houk. But that didn't stop bad guys from doing bad things did it? I know I'm preaching to the Choir, and to anyone going to the next Council Meeting, please give Mayor Dudley props for what he said during the Mayor's Comments and standing up to the City Council of Oak Harbor after they tried to break State Law!

-Thor

5918mike

You can still email/write letters!

Exactly what I did, I loved the Mayors comments and response to this nonsense, especially the comment that the motion was trying to take away the mans constitutional right, classic!

outlaw7

Here is my response from Mayor Dudley.
Brandon:

Thank you so much for the kind words and thank you for your service to our country.

I truly believe that some in politics forget who they work for and whose money they are spending. The reason I ran for Mayor was because it was obvious to me that the previous administration was not listening to those it should have been serving. It saddens me that we have some councilmembers who feel they have the power to infringe on others rights. Our next council meeting on 2/5/13 should be very popular as I am bringing back our unconstitutional ordinance in our municipal code that prohibits carrying a firearm in our parks. The council looked at it on 12/18/12 and heard that it was unconstitutional and we recommended fixing it but they chose to table it and not act upon it. Well, they will see it again on 2/5/13.

Thanks again,

Scott Dudley
I will be there 2/5 as long as my work schedule allows.

hermannr

I would strongly encourage everyone that possibly can to be at that council meeting. (or should it be meating, I would love to see some of the anti's behinds chewed)

Support councilman Campbell and Mayor Dudley as much as possible. Sounds like it will be an interesting meeting.

outlaw7

I sent a response to the mayor and informed him I am planning on attending the 2-5 meeting only to witness the discussion. I informed him I will be concealed carrying and will not bring that to attention, but gave him the heads up as a courtesy.

SeattleWingsfan

My girlfriend of going on 11 years is not fond of guns. She was unfortunately held at gunpoint while in school abroad during college. We had a conversation one day after she noticed a drop leg holster on a young guy in line at Safeway. She couldn't believe that was legal. I mentioned to her that I saw another person while shopping in the store that had a concealed gun on. It printed badly, but she isn't the type to notice that. She insisted that was even worse and if someone was going to carry it should be in the open so she could see it and choose to leave and return later. My reply was over 370 thousand people have concealed licenses. And most hide it much better than the guy I noticed. If roughly 5 percent of Washington residents have a license and all open carried. You would never leave the house because statistically you pass by and deal with people on a daily basis that have a gun and you just don't know it.

That's the problem with anti gun people they don't live the life so to speak. And it only comes to their mind when they see it. Which is usually in a bad way on the news. That's why I believe open carry is so important.

Last edited:

hermannr

I wish I could be there to back you up outlaw7, unfortunately that is not possible. I do hope that some other people in teh Oak Harbor area can attend though...especially after the writeup in the Whidby times. Thanks for posting that BTW.

hermannr

My girlfriend of going on 11 years is not fond of guns. She was unfortunately held at gunpoint while in school abroad during college. We had a conversation one day after she noticed a drop leg holster on a young guy in line at Safeway. She couldn't believe that was legal. I mentioned to her that I saw another person while shopping in the store that had a concealed gun on. It printed badly, but she isn't the type to notice that. She insisted that was even worse and if someone was going to carry it should be in the open so she could see it and choose to leave and return later. My reply was over 370 thousand people have concealed licenses. And most hide it much better than the guy I noticed. If roughly 5 percent of Washington residents have a license and all open carried. You would never leave the house because statistically you pass by and deal with people on a daily basis that have a gun and you just don't know it.

That's the problem with anti gun people they don't live the life so to speak. And it only comes to their mind when they see it. Which is usually in a bad way on the news. That's why I believe open carry is so important.

If she was held up before, I am surprised she does not want to carry herself? Maybe you might take the angle with her. If she had been armed, does she think the outcome might have been different? And if she had been armed openly, does she thing that, just maybe, she may not have been hld up at all?

outlaw7

I appreciate the offer. I promise that as long as my work schedule allows I will be at every meeting from here forward, at least through the public comments portion. I will only voice my stance on the 2A when it is challenged or attacked like the meeting on the 15th. I will not allow people to badmouth legal law abiding citizens, and try and drag our community and reputation through the dirt. I have fought too hard and lost many brothers and sisters in the constitutions defense to allow it any longer.
bazfinal1.jpg

JoeSparky

Centurion
Comment away!!

Tried to post but for some reason it won't let me. Here is what I tried to post.....

Directed towards Councilman Rick Almberg--- So you refuse to perform your responsibilities as Council member because another person both lawfully and POLITELY exercised his US Constitutionally protected rights during an open public comment section of a Council Meeting? Shame on you!