• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is pocket carrying considered Open Carry?

Skizerz

I got my first firearm today, and after taking (another) gun safety course and shooting course, I'm going to begin open carry. Is carrying my firearm in my left or right pocket, where the handle is visible, considered open or concealed carry in Arkansas?

Skizerz

Rule 14. ... This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

Properly holstered here means with a trigger guard.

I'm planning on getting one, now could you answer the simple yes/no question? Every time I get on forums to ask questions, they scarcely answer them, they beat around the bush and complain about how the post was made, or how the question was asked. It'd save everyone time and energy if you just typed yes or no.

solus

I'm planning on getting one, now could you answer the simple yes/no question? Every time I get on forums to ask questions, they scarcely answer them, they beat around the bush and complain about how the post was made, or how the question was asked. It'd save everyone time and energy if you just typed yes or no.

welcome to the forum...

since it appears you have some level level of consciousness regarding forum life, and by your own words above seems to have experienced multiple misadventures...

now if your misadventure(s) were an isolated incident, i would say shame on those sites for not following emily forum etiquette protocols, however the attitude being exhibited by you at this point and time shows it is not the forum's insolent behaviour but the yours!

As such, enjoy your attitude and in response to your query..

NO. but it could be YES, but remember i do not have the term esquire behind my name.

enjoy you possibly short lived time here...

again, welcome...i think

ipse

JoeSparky

Centurion
Yes, it could be open carry or No, it would be concealled. It would be Very specific to your location and if any part of the gun is visible and recognizable as a firearm.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I got my first firearm today, and after taking (another) gun safety course and shooting course, I'm going to begin open carry. Is carrying my firearm in my left or right pocket, where the handle is visible, considered open or concealed carry in Arkansas?

Rule 14. ... This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

Properly holstered here means with a trigger guard.

Skizerz - You ask a question, then complain about the answer. If you liked the answer, would you want to tell the judge, I heard it on the internet?"

You can ignore good manners, even the Forum Rules and basic tenets of OCDO, but the bottom line is your simple "Yes or No" response that has any meaning will come from a judge as you stand before the bar charged with a violation of §5-73-301 - §5-73-323.

You might start with:
§5-73-301. Definitions.
As used in this subchapter:
(2) "Concealed" means to cover from observation so as to prevent public view;

BTW - the "handle" of a handgun is generally referred to as the grip or grip frame. Hammers have handles, handguns do not.

Since we are not giving legal advice, you will need to make your own decisions.

Last edited:

solus

Act 746 amended § 5-73-120 by legislature and caused a confused JQPublic

http://ag.arkansas.gov/opinions/docs/2015-064.html

http://www.hopeprescott.com/open-carry-law-addressed/

http://thecabin.net/news/local/2013-11-22/open-carry-wont-be-prosecuted-hiland-says#.V51Jt7grLIU

bottom line, the concept of OPEN CARRY is and has been up for debate since the legislature messed with 5-73-120.

at this time i would say OC is risky as and would consider it not a viable carry methodology

but remember esquire is not behind my name.

ipse

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I decided to save my time and energy by typing neither "yes" nor "no".

neither "yes" nor "no"
roflmao.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmcbeth

Banned
When were you born?

"I don't remember, I was just a baby."

OP said inside the pocket ... so I would say no, it is not open carry.

twoskinsonemanns

Welcome! Congratulations on your first firearm. Also very smart taking some courses and doing some shooting. IMO yes it would be OC. And as others have pointed out most laws concerning it are not explicit. And my opinion of them isn't that helpful to you. You may come across a cop that sees it's a gun and then incongruously claims you're CC in attempting to hide it.

PS. sorry about the chilled welcome. This site does not like new members and won't tolerate them without some properly applied moist deference.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome! Congratulations on your first firearm. Also very smart taking some courses and doing some shooting. IMO yes it would be OC. And as others have pointed out most laws concerning it are not explicit. And my opinion of them isn't that helpful to you. You may come across a cop that sees it's a gun and then incongruously claims you're CC in attempting to hide it.

PS. sorry about the chilled welcome. This site does not like new members and won't tolerate them without some properly applied moist deference.
On that we disagree completely.

New members (growth) are the life blood of an organization such as ours; however, we do strive to educate, not to simply tolerate.

JoeSparky

Centurion
On that we disagree completely.

New members (growth) are the life blood of an organization such as ours; however, we do strive to educate, not to simply tolerate.
And those that start with the posted attitude of "Y'all are twits" tend to get the chilly welcome. If that wasn't the OP intended attitude to start with then I'll welcome his revision on how he greets the group!

twoskinsonemanns

And those that start with the posted attitude of "Y'all are twits" tend to get the chilly welcome. If that wasn't the OP intended attitude to start with then I'll welcome his revision on how he greets the group!

Heh heh heh I doubt we'll get the opportunity to see him grovel for your approval.

Let's see...
Posts a good question.
"Answered" with a quote of a rule implying he made some grievance in asking while not actually attempting to answer the question asked.
Complains, Justly IMO, about the lame response.
Super moderator defends lame non-answer to the good question...

Yeah we'll not be seeing him again.
Good riddance to new rubbish aye?! :monkey

davidmcbeth

Banned
Even if a court ruling on this very thing had been made in Arkansas, the next judge could decide the other way in his/her court.

Good point ... I have this issue currently where one judge in a court ruled one way and the next judge in the same court ruled just the opposite. The good news for me is that the original judge that ruled in my favor moved up to the reviewing court.

solus

so twoskinsonemanns, it is your stated opinion that our responses were not helpful to an interpretation of putting the OP's new firearm (sorry, did you discern if the OP's gun was pistol or revolver; full sized or j-frame) into their L or R pocket (skin tight jeans, or slacks, w/deep pockets or shallow pockets, with the handle (uh, didn't the OP state they just took ANOTHER safety/shooting courses ~ wouldn't this lead any reader to presume that firearm parts terminology would/should been known/used by the poster?) showing.

then of course the OP's attitude thrown after the first response was proffered was precious and led the conversation to another level set by the OP.

so you say yes, it would be acceptable OC! yet if you investigated the cites provided , you would have noticed the entire concept of OC'g is up in the air and has been for awhile, oh wait you stated "MOST LAWS"..."are not explicit." now what a helpful phrase w/o any further elaboration was extremely helpful to the OP wasn't it!

so any further helpful and exemplary advice would you like to impart to the OP about shoving a gun (rev/pistol ~ full size/j-frame) in their pocket while they follow your lead OC'g amongst the AK countryside?

ipse

twoskinsonemanns

so twoskinsonemanns, it is your stated opinion that our responses were not helpful to an interpretation of putting the OP's new firearm (sorry, did you discern if the OP's gun was pistol or revolver; full sized or j-frame) into their L or R pocket (skin tight jeans, or slacks, w/deep pockets or shallow pockets, with the handle (uh, didn't the OP state they just took ANOTHER safety/shooting courses ~ wouldn't this lead any reader to presume that firearm parts terminology would/should been known/used by the poster?) showing.

then of course the OP's attitude thrown after the first response was proffered was precious and led the conversation to another level set by the OP.

so you say yes, it would be acceptable OC! yet if you investigated the cites provided , you would have noticed the entire concept of OC'g is up in the air and has been for awhile, oh wait you stated "MOST LAWS"..."are not explicit." now what a helpful phrase w/o any further elaboration was extremely helpful to the OP wasn't it!

so any further helpful and exemplary advice would you like to impart to the OP about shoving a gun (rev/pistol ~ full size/j-frame) in their pocket while they follow your lead OC'g amongst the AK countryside?

ipse

Not really. It was my only intention to encourage a little courtesy and long sufferance to new members seeking help from crodgity ol ********* who get kicks from belittling young new gun owners.

BTW I went to JCPenny in the mall today with a .380 tossed in my front jeans pocket without a holster. If that gives you apoplexy I'll surely mourn.

solus

Not really. It was my only intention to encourage a little courtesy and long sufferance to new members seeking help from crodgity ol ********* who get kicks from belittling young new gun owners.

BTW I went to JCPenny in the mall today with a .380 tossed in my front jeans pocket without a holster. If that gives you apoplexy I'll surely mourn.

wow, you have such a great gift...you were able to discern from two sentences the OP was young...outstanding!!

well, thankfully you didn't need to defend yourself in penny's or you could have experienced a new but viable form of BC.

but i see you over time have picked up the nuance of throwing playground name calling insults when something is said that doesn't agree w/you. candidly, not so sure which trait to find more vilifying...easy decision tho...

twoskinsonemanns...stick with what you know and works for ya, thankfully your trait shows your lack of maturity which diminishes your credibility more than being "crodgity"!!

go well

ipse

Maverick9

Sounds like this guy is aware that the subject of 'open carry' in Arkansas is listed as 'unclear' due to different interpretations of a law about 'peaceful journey' with a firearm.

He sounds like he doesn't have enough money to buy a holster, that he doesn't have a permit, and he wants to just stick his gun in his pocket.

He doesn't even care to know what part is showing, or what it's called or how much. He couldn't be bothered to post a picture.

Thus one could conclude he's not serious...about almost everything.

I'd say 'go do it and see what happens, and report back'. I mean that's the gold standard on confusing carry laws, right?

What's the worst that could happen to an irascible resident of Arkansas? Probably it would be that he'd drop it in the aisle in the A.B.C. store, and the clerk would admonish him to 'get a holster, buddy'.

HTH.

twoskinsonemanns

wow, you have such a great gift...you were able to discern from two sentences the OP was young...outstanding!!

well, thankfully you didn't need to defend yourself in penny's or you could have experienced a new but viable form of BC.

but i see you over time have picked up the nuance of throwing playground name calling insults when something is said that doesn't agree w/you. candidly, not so sure which trait to find more vilifying...easy decision tho...

twoskinsonemanns...stick with what you know and works for ya, thankfully your trait shows your lack of maturity which diminishes your credibility more than being "crodgity"!!

go well

ipse

Well I never said the OP was young now did I. Please try to keep up. And don't put words in my mouth.
If I had been forced to defend myself in penny's I was perfectly capable (outside the 3-4 minutes my jeans were on the Dressing Room floor while trying on new slacks).
And sure I will stick with what I know. I know the way my 380 sits in my pocket all lonesome. I know that it had the safety on which is very unusual for any gun I carry and I would have to deal with it. And I know how to draw it, having practiced several times before I left the house.
But even still I enjoy the education I get here at OCDO. I appreciate all the advice given and try to implement anything useful anytime I can. Whether it come from ol dusty crodgity fuksticks or young stupid headstrong asshats. Either way I use what is best for me.