• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there a report available on the secret do nothing Legislative session this year?

Is there a report on who and why the do nothing politicians did what they didn't do or is is still a big dark deep secret trying to protect the guilty?

kcgunfan

Hear hear, but don't forget that those with the goods don't hang out here anymore.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Morpheus97

The session just ended last Friday. We were hoping for a last minute miracle, but it just wasn't to be this year. There will be more info on the series of events that occurred released in the near future. Btw, there was no intention to protect anyone, just trying not to hurt our chances by releasing too much info on a public forum.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Redbaron007

Here are some 'gun-friendly' bills that have been submitted to the Gubnor for signing:

Senate Bill 489 contains important Right-to-Carry reforms by honoring all live-fire training exercises as part of the concealed carry course prior to changes made in the training requirements last year. SB 489 would also legalize the ownership of auto-opening, switchblade knives throughout Missouri.

House Bill 1647, would lower the Right-to-Carry age requirement from 21 to 18 years old for active duty military who are residents of or stationed in Missouri. It would also remove penalties for an accidental exposure of a firearm by a concealed carry endorsement holder and establishes a process for restoration of firearm rights for those currently prohibited. (Starts on page 39)

Senate Bill 480
is a transportation omnibus bill that includes a provision establishing a National Rifle Association license plate. Purchase of Missouri NRA license plates will help fund important pro-Second Amendment activities in the Show-Me State.

These came from the NRA update.

Last edited:

kylemoul

Here are some 'gun-friendly' bills that have been submitted to the Gubnor for signing:

Senate Bill 480
is a transportation omnibus bill that includes a provision establishing a National Rifle Association license plate. Purchase of Missouri NRA license plates will help fund important pro-Second Amendment activities in the Show-Me State.

maybe it will be like the "dont tread on me plates".......a little NRA picture that is 1 inch by 1 inch.

REALteach4u

Senate Bill 489 contains important Right-to-Carry reforms by honoring all live-fire training exercises as part of the concealed carry course prior to changes made in the training requirements last year. SB 489 would also legalize the ownership of auto-opening, switchblade knives throughout Missouri.

House Bill 1647, would lower the Right-to-Carry age requirement from 21 to 18 years old for active duty military who are residents of or stationed in Missouri. It would also remove penalties for an accidental exposure of a firearm by a concealed carry endorsement holder and establishes a process for restoration of firearm rights for those currently prohibited. (Starts on page 39)

Senate Bill 480

Positive spins from our politicians on the negative crap they pulled to justify their existence.
HB489 accomplishes little to nothing as the damage from HB294 has already been done. The authors weren't intelligent enough to listen to the folks that told them there is yet again NO clause protecting current training and permit holders from future changes. One good thing (correcting the auto-opening issue) does not correct the wrongs committed and overlooked yet again.

Hb1647 is an atrocity to say the least. The authors of this bill just don't get it, not one iota. They are offering exemptions to 18 for ACTIVE DUTY military while telling the Reserves and National Guard service members to get bent, we don't care about YOU, you're part-timers and you simply don't matter to us even though you live here, pay taxes here, and vote here. They also neglected to protect the spouses of those members of the active duty military even though our law currently allows non-resident spouses who's spouse is stationed in Mo to obtain a permit. By the way, there is but a single politician responsible for taking Riddle's bill and altering it to suit the armed forces, her original bill was for EVERYONE in Mo to obtain the endorsement at 18. And it WILL be up again this next session. This nightmare of a bill also had a provision to allow CCW holders to "briefly and openly display a firearm" which could be construed as making it illegal for CCW holders to open carry; you can bet at least one PD will push the envelope on this in Mo.

All of those could have been better written if the politicians had just listened...or perhaps they just listened to the wrong people who told them it was dead-on just like they did with HB294 and their outright failure to read the bill after changes were put in just 1 week prior to sending it to the governor.

All of those changes are positive changes, but there are a lot of negatives that go with them. So if you're the kind of person who doesn't like progressives, guess what....that's how government works. If you can't get an entire bill passed you pass a piece of it now, a piece in another session, and ultimately make progress. I'm shocked that the bill to repeal the dreaded OC limitation statute didn't get through, that was one of the most important that needed to go to the governor.

Hopefully we can continue down a positive road. By the way, watch this next legislative session for OC bills. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a State mandated OC training bill rear its ugly head. It will likely start as a bill that allows CCW holders to OC anywhere in Missouri.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Positive spins from our politicians on the negative crap they pulled to justify their existence.
HB489 accomplishes little to nothing as the damage from HB294 has already been done. The authors weren't intelligent enough to listen to the folks that told them there is yet again NO grandfather clause protecting current training and permit holders from future changes. One good thing (correcting the auto-opening issue) does not correct the wrongs committed and overlooked yet again.

WTH?? How do you grandfather the future when you don't know what it is? Interesting spin! How many bills have grandfathering for future events? From my understanding, the grandfathering comes into play when there is a modification. They failed to get it in the bill last year, got it in this year.

Hb1647 is an atrocity to say the least. The authors of this bill just don't get it, not one iota. They are offering exemptions to 18 for ACTIVE DUTY military while telling the Reserves and National Guard service members to get bent, we don't care about YOU, you're part-timers and you simply don't matter to us even though you live here, pay taxes here, and vote here. They also neglected to protect the spouses of those members of the active duty military even though our law currently allows non-resident spouses who's spouse is stationed in Mo to obtain a permit. By the way, there is but a single politician responsible for taking Riddle's bill and altering it to suit the armed forces, her original bill was for EVERYONE in Mo to obtain the endorsement at 18. And it WILL be up again this next session. This nightmare of a bill also had a provision to allow CCW holders to "briefly and openly display a firearm" which could be construed as making it illegal for CCW holders to open carry; you can bet at least one PD will push the envelope on this in Mo.

They get it. The problem is....it's called politics. This is what happens in politics, compromise.

I'm not sure it is a nightmare, but could be an issue for an OCer who wants to push/cross the limits.

All of those could have been better written if the politicians had just listened...or perhaps they just listened to the wrong people who told them it was dead-on just like they did with HB294 and their outright failure to read the bill after changes were put in just 1 week prior to sending it to the governor.

All of those changes are positive changes, but there are a lot of negatives that go with them. So if you're the kind of person who doesn't like progressives, guess what....that's how government works. If you can't get an entire bill passed you pass a piece of it now, a piece in another session, and ultimately make progress. I'm shocked that the bill to repeal the dreaded OC limitation statute didn't get through, that was one of the most important that needed to go to the governor.

Hopefully we can continue down a positive road. By the way, watch this next legislative session for OC bills. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a State mandated OC training bill rear its ugly head. It will likely start as a bill that allows CCW holders to OC anywhere in Missouri.

They did listen; they listened to what would pass. Remember, there have been some high profile shootings in the media, don't think it didn't have a bearing on the outcome. The above underlined is exactly what happens in politics. Sometimes it takes small steps to make big gains. Patience and work.
IIRC, Oklahoma's OC bill is permit based, not that I like it; but once again, it's a step.

Hear hear, but don't forget that those with the goods don't hang out here anymore.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Guess they are still in hiding smarting from all the bluster they put out that didn't even develop into a small fart.

Last edited:

REALteach4u

WTH?? How do you grandfather the future when you don't know what it is? Interesting spin! How many bills have grandfathering for future events? From my understanding, the grandfathering comes into play when there is a modification. They failed to get it in the bill last year, got it in this year.

They get it. The problem is....it's called politics. This is what happens in politics, compromise.

I'm not sure it is a nightmare, but could be an issue for an OCer who wants to push/cross the limits.

They did listen; they listened to what would pass. Remember, there have been some high profile shootings in the media, don't think it didn't have a bearing on the outcome. The above underlined is exactly what happens in politics. Sometimes it takes small steps to make big gains. Patience and work.
IIRC, Oklahoma's OC bill is permit based, not that I like it; but once again, it's a step.[/QUOTE

They didn't listen at all, they compromised or flat out ignored those who brought issues to their attention. They seem to think compromise is a good thing. You simply cannot attach something bad to a bill and put a positive spin on it, it's still a bad bill that way. If they had listened they would not have neglected the Reserves and National Guard in the age bill, nor would they have ignored the spouses of those members of the military. The fact is they simply don't want to see the legislation through to the potential consequences because those consequences simply don't apply to our lawmakers or law enforcers. That is a HUGE problem.

Yeah, I probably should have not used the word grandfathered. I'll edit that post. But, just like HB294, there is no protection in place which means we could face it all again.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Legislative session:

1. Introduce bill(s): it placates some 'squeaky wheels'.
2. Amend bill(s): it placates different 'squeaky wheels'.
3. Let bill(s) die: some 'squeaky wheels' squeak a little louder, other 'squeaky wheels' stop squeaking.
4. Repeat.

Redbaron007

They didn't listen at all, they compromised or flat out ignored those who brought issues to their attention. They seem to think compromise is a good thing. You simply cannot attach something bad to a bill and put a positive spin on it, it's still a bad bill that way. If they had listened they would not have neglected the Reserves and National Guard in the age bill, nor would they have ignored the spouses of those members of the military. The fact is they simply don't want to see the legislation through to the potential consequences because those consequences simply don't apply to our lawmakers or law enforcers. That is a HUGE problem.

Yeah, I probably should have not used the word grandfathered. I'll edit that post. But, just like HB294, there is no protection in place which means we could face it all again.

They did listen or they would have not passed anything. Was it everything you and I wanted? NOPE. But that is politics. That is why many people don't like politics, it involves compromise to get things passed. Like it or not...that is the reality of politics. Is it frustrating....YEP!!!!

The alternative is: Would you have been happy if they didn't pass any of these bills? Do you/anyone actually believe you can have your legislator submit a bill and not have anything done to it as it goes through the process? I know of very few, if any, that don't receive some modification during the process.