• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's Constitutional Carry Eve!

USNVet

The Portland Chief of Police is still complaining about the new law and how he is against it. Just a day or two ago a 58 yr old man was cited for illegal concealed carry without a permit and now from here on out they can do nothing about it.
The 58 yr old was also said to have pointed a 45 at a car. He said now we can do nothing about it.

Umm I'm pretty sure that if you are carrying a firearm (displaying it/not holstered), you can be cited for brandishing/threatening regardless of whether you are open carrying or concealed carrying. If you draw/remove the weapon from your holster, you better be justified in doing so and know the laws. If I encountered a LEO with a firearm drawn, I know I would be concerned as I would interpret it as in somethings going down and I might be in the wrong place.

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/10...oncealed-carry-law-endangers-officers-public/

"threatening display of a firearm" could mean pulling your jacket open to show someone you are armed or unholstering it and having it in your hand, but its not really very clear. To me it seems too open for interpretation.

"Threatening display" and concealed carry law is combined together here: http://legislature.maine.gov/statutes/25/title25sec2001-A.html

But now the concealed part is no longer valid but the threatening display part could still apply even though a permit is no longer required.

https://www1.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
IMO - Brandishing laws are an unnecessary PITA.

Problem is that brandishing often depends on how the other person "feels" about what he/she saw or says they saw.

Do away with brandishing and simply use assault laws which depend on what the subject actually did, including the ability to physically accomplish it = battery.

Grundi

Portland's Chief Doen't Speak For All Police...

The Portland Chief of Police is still complaining about the new law and how he is against it.

And the Bangor Daily News edited the story to remove an important part of the article. The Portland Chief of Police is actually in the minority concerning this legislation. Below is a link to the Lewiston Sun-Journal that contains the entire article:

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/main...law-change-puts-citizens-cops-danger/1800804/

Lewiston is Maine's 2nd largest city and their Chief of Police has a different take on this (excerpted from the above article):

Lewiston Police Chief Michael Bussiere said people were still renewing and applying for concealed weapons permits in his city despite the pending law change.

"Law enforcement has to be adaptable to changing times," Bussiere said. "It's not our job to legislate and create the laws. It's our job to get the laws from the citizen Legislature and go out and deal with them accordingly and that's what we are going to do."

Arma1911

Thinking about moving north...

I love living in Virginia, but I may have to move for family/work. Maine is high on my list of places I would consider relocating to. Honestly, I never thought that I could possible live in the "north", but Maine seems like it has a lot to offer: smaller towns, low crime, Mountains, hunting, a beautiful coast, AND CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY!

The snow doesn't bother me. Any reason not to consider Maine?

USNVet

And the Bangor Daily News edited the story to remove an important part of the article. The Portland Chief of Police is actually in the minority concerning this legislation. Below is a link to the Lewiston Sun-Journal that contains the entire article:

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/main...law-change-puts-citizens-cops-danger/1800804/

Lewiston is Maine's 2nd largest city and their Chief of Police has a different take on this (excerpted from the above article):

Lewiston Police Chief Michael Bussiere said people were still renewing and applying for concealed weapons permits in his city despite the pending law change.

"Law enforcement has to be adaptable to changing times," Bussiere said. "It's not our job to legislate and create the laws. It's our job to get the laws from the citizen Legislature and go out and deal with them accordingly and that's what we are going to do."

Good catch Grundi,
It seems that Bangor news did not include the other side of the story.
The concealed carry class I attended was taught by a retired Lewiston Police Officer who highly recommend carrying if you are otherwise not restricted from doing so. The class was more about law and legal use of force than safety.

The thing I just can't understand is why people think that law abiding citizens are suddenly going to be criminals just because they can legally carry.
Criminals don't care if what they do is legal. I also have to shake me head regarding un educated anti gun weenies who say, removing the background checks required for permits is bad. It's apparent they don't realize that you do have to answer background questions, and have a police record check just to purchase, unless you do a private sale.

Last edited: