• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

John, please appoint a moderator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye95

THAT is the fundamental problem with anarchy. It works beautifully—as long as everyone moderates themselves. As soon as even a few do not, things go to pot. The existence of any enforcement actually promotes self-moderation.

I tried counting self-moderation. That did not work. The trolling continued.

I tried reporting trolling to John. That did not work. The trolling continued.

Many, including you, have tried asking people to stop. That won’t work. The trolling will continue.

One thing will work: moderation from a staff member. Trolling will still happen, but it will be reduced. Furthermore, site members can feel some confidence in quietly and rarely using the report button—even if they don’t always get the desired outcome. Right now, if you report the most egregious trolling, you get no outcome.

As long as John (or someone else, an appointed moderator) continues to provide no outcome, I will feel compelled to take matters into my own hands.

I am sorry if my posts are bothering you and others. But, there is a solution. Ask John to start moderating his site.

eye95

John, have you ever read the Oresteia? Considering your education level (and your field of education), I cannot imagine that you have not.

For anyone who has not read it, it is the story from Greek mythology that explains how the Greeks moved from the justice of cyclical vengeance to a justice from an authority granted the power to mete out justice, thereby ending the cycle.

solus

THAT is the fundamental problem with anarchy. It works beautifully—as long as everyone moderates themselves. As soon as even a few do not, things go to pot. The existence of any enforcement actually promotes self-moderation.

I tried counting self-moderation. That did not work. The trolling continued.

I tried reporting trolling to John. That did not work. The trolling continued.

Many, including you, have tried asking people to stop. That won’t work. The trolling will continue.

One thing will work: moderation from a staff member. Trolling will still happen, but it will be reduced. Furthermore, site members can feel some confidence in quietly and rarely using the report button—even if they don’t always get the desired outcome. Right now, if you report the most egregious trolling, you get no outcome.

As long as John (or someone else, an appointed moderator) continues to provide no outcome, I will feel compelled to take matters into my own hands.

I am sorry if my posts are bothering you and others. But, there is a solution. Ask John to start moderating his site.

oh trust me eye95...you truly do not wish to get milady’s ire further agitated by summarily being dismissive of gently spoken chastisement.

Eye95, being the knowledgeable historian you profess to be...do you notice any similarity between your statement, quote, I will feel compelled to take matters into my own hands. Unquote and those fanatics who ranted at lynch mobs?

solus

John, have you ever read the Oresteia? Considering your education level (and your field of education), I cannot imagine that you have not.

For anyone who has not read it, it is the story from Greek mythology that explains how the Greeks moved from the justice of cyclical vengeance to a justice from an authority granted the power to mete out justice, thereby ending the cycle.

OMGoodness, now eye95 you are publicly challenging the overseer’s educational and intellectual capabilities...

Brings new meaning to the word trolling, just wow!

Ps: should revisit wiki, quote:
There are many didactic motives in the Oresteia, one of them being the matter of moral responsibility. The characters in the play often face difficulty when it comes to accepting the blame for their actions.Unquote

Eye95, just as you have failed to be responsible for your tone and tenor on the forum since released from bannishment.

HP995

The genuine article or not. To many it is what it symbolizes.

A very thought-provoking comment, COL. You made me rethink my position a bit. 🤨

To my normal way of thinking, an imitation Crown of Thorns falls short of "holy." I like it, but I don't looove it. I assume it was originally intended as meditative art and eventually confused by some with the real thing.

But I can concede that symbolically it's kinda the same thing. The cross itself and pics of Jesus are widely used and treated with reverence, so why not the Crown? It doesn't float my boat personally, but logically I guess it's the same principle. :unsure:

serveimage

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Gentlemen......I have been reading "some" of your comments under this thread and probably elsewhere too (hard to follow and keep up with...there are so many back and forth jabs). I have held off offering my personal opinion, but finally feel compelled to do so because it never ends!!

The words and insults are absolutely ridiculous, they add NOTHING to the site, and have NOTHING to do with the objective and goals of OCDO. I humbly and respectfully suggest that you moderate yourselves, act like the adults that you are, and I'm sure the fine people that you are (although may not displayed here). Its hard to believe that people who have probably never met and don't really know each other at all, can be like this. Solus knows who I am, and maybe the others do as well (in case not, Grapeshot's girlfriend). I feel certain that Dale would have probably locked this thread. You all should STOP yourselves, and move on. Look around at all the things in life that are trajic and put things into perspective, it just might help. Sorry if I have added further insult to this ongoing argument, but........ please, no more!!!! P. S. Perhaps you all should read the forum rules again.
If Grapeshot was with us the thread would have been locked at the first post. And my conversations with Grape through PMs and how he handled these matters, it is MY OPINION, eye95 would have been banned. If a dispute was between eye95 and one other member I would agree with your general observation. But this is not a disagreement between two individuals. There are many members on this forum that have issues with eye95. Wherever eye95 goes and contrary opinion challenges his view, eye95 relentlessly attacks his opposition. This must be resolved. Maybe you can get results.

HP995

Looks like the first weapon reference in the Bible is after the Fall of man, guarding the Garden with a flaming sword! 🔥

22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

(KJV)

So was the sword holy? 🧐 Hmmm....

serveimage

eye95

If Grapeshot was with us the thread would have been locked at the first post. And my conversations with Grape through PMs and how he handled these matters, it is MY OPINION, eye95 would have been banned. If a dispute was between eye95 and one other member I would agree with your general observation. But this is not a disagreement between two individuals. There are many members on this forum that have issues with eye95. Wherever eye95 goes and contrary opinion challenges his view, eye95 relentlessly attacks his opposition. This must be resolved. Maybe you can get results.
Again, THIS is an argument FOR moderation, which is my goal with this thread.

solus

Again, THIS is an argument FOR moderation, which is my goal with this thread.

checking my pulse...YOUR GOAL?

more petulant childish nonsense...as others have stated...you are not in charge no matter what your perception of reality leads you to believe...

HP995

Tut tut, profaning this HOLY thread about the Love of all things Holy with unholy comments and virtue signaling. Back on topic:

22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

(KJV)

So why did the angel (or Cherubims if that's different) need a sword? :unsure:

I don't think Adam and Eve could hurt the Cherubims. Therefore, was the sword to protect the Cherubims or to warn people away from messing with the Cherubims and getting their booties kicked? :p

solus

Tut tut, profaning this HOLY thread about the Love of all things Holy with unholy comments and virtue signaling. Back on topic:

I don't think Adam and Eve could hurt the Cherubims. Therefore, was the sword to protect the Cherubims or to warn people away from messing with the Cherubims and getting their booties kicked? :p

uh apple's genetics hadn't been modified so needed the sword to cut the fruit out of the tree?

WalkingWolf

I never wanted to be a moderator until NOW! Ban hammer time is well past due for several members. I know John is busy with his law practice so I have to live with the idiot children who cannot control themselves.

ETA you should all be ashamed for destroying Grapeshots legacy of making this a family friendly site that not only gave a voice to open carry but was a source of generating new open carriers. We now look like the insane that the CC claim we are. Good work fellas!

Let this thread die, and the petty differences. Refrain yourself from being an idiot, stop posting in this thread. Please nobody respond, just do the right thing.

hammer6

Mankind was greatly different many thousands of years ago. Today's life is filled with fear and lack of faith. As "smart" as people are now, it fails in comparison to how smart they were back then.

HP995

Amen to the end of petty differences - and please remember that letting this thread die means not bumping it again when it is not on top. It was already dead recently, and then brought back to life by virtue signaling. When it gets bumped, it'll be put back on the original love-all-holy-things topic, which cannot change and provides endless opportunity for reflection and meditation about holiness, including weapons.

serveimage

FreedomVA

that's the problem with alot of these online forums.......too many keyboard warriors and not enough real life actions......

i bet that when the 2A is gone, online forums will be discussing the legality of owning a water gun

solus

Mankind was greatly different many thousands of years ago. Today's life is filled with fear and lack of faith. As "smart" as people are now, it fails in comparison to how smart they were back then.

oh yes the crusades, witch-hunts, Ottomans, Hun's, of late, Civil War, portrays the how smart our ancestral past is, oh wait...Rwanda...Apartheid, two WWars, Afgah invaded and occupied twice by world powers...

this has been human dynasty since we walked upright.

die...no it needs to be deleted as the name calling/religious rhetoric/whining/insulting to the site's owner are now in the public domain possibly for all posterity...including all of the selfish "I am" statements.

tis like stating "I" don't like this {pick a subject] yet do not proffer one viable iota to resolve the issue.

John, please, please, please, appoint a moderator or two.

You have a couple of posters who are trashing your site. You are losing other posters as a result.

I wish I did not have to ask you publicly, but all of my private pleas were being ignored. Unfortunately asking publicly will result in this thread becoming very nasty, very quickly. I just saw no other option.

Last edited:

solus

nice to see you jump in the fracas WW and post the movie venues, which are...tho would have presumed you to be a Butch Cassidy kinda fan...

HP995

Ha the old "pound sand" vibe? ;)

serveimage

oh yes the crusades, witch-hunts, Ottomans, Hun's, of late, Civil War, portrays the how smart our ancestral past is, oh wait...Rwanda...Apartheid, two WWars, Afgah invaded and occupied twice by world powers...

That's supposed to be a direct reply to "Mankind was greatly different many thousands of years ago." ?? I don't see a single item in the list that fits.

Enough profane and worldly blasphemies...back to the original topic as the OP title indicated! Alas the thread went off track very early, but that can be remedied. Indeed, for the Love of all things Holy.

If the first weapon in the Bible was a flaming sword right after the Fall, does that mean the sword preceded the atlatl?

serveimage

And if the spiritual tech preceded the physical tech, why didn't God put a few angels with AKs or a belt-fed machine gun to guard the garden, instead of a flaming sword?

serveimage

But a flaming sword indicates spiritual power - it's classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.