• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just incase you didn't get the memo on the new proposed NJ Carry Bill

What do you to see happen with NJ Bill A1282 ?

• 2) I would like to see this Bill passed but also removing the part allowing restrictions to be plac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3) I would like for the current laws to remain the same and I am fine with that

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thejax

imported post

Assemblyman Michael Carroll (R) has proposed a bill to remove our favorite thing to hate when applying for a permit in NJ. He is removing the requirement for "Justified Need".

Assemblyman Michael Carroll's page is here
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=164

Proposed Bill is here
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bills/A1500/1282_I1.HTM

Now whether this will actually happen or not is still undetermined.

One thing I like about the bill is it changes the permit from a 2 year to a 5 year.

One thing I do not like about he bill is it still allows for restrictions to be placed on the permits. So basically, we could still apply and get approved for the reason of self defense but could only be restricted to target shooting or something silly like they do in NY State. So basically, it puts us right back where we were anyway.

I like this bill but I am not in the mood to deal with begging for restriction removals like permit holders do in NY State.

Another note. Another Op of this forum did mention this back in 2008 so I wanted to give him/her credit for this as well. Seems no one responded to the Op then though. I did a search on this topic before I posted.

45-ACP's Post
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=17064&forum_id=38&highlight=michael+carroll

What is your opinion on the Bill ?

I also added a poll if you choose to participate.

sonman

imported post

Here is a link to my facebook notes page which has a link to a petition to support this bill. The second link will take you to 'change.org' where you can simply sign the petition or you can start an account there and send a letter to the NJ house and senate andtoGov. Chris Christie. You also have the option of added your own comments to the form letter.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/note.php?note_id=244032879061

thejax

imported post

Sonman,

Not to sound like a negative nancy here but what exactly is this online petition going to do? Online petitions don't really do anything.

If you really want to get something done about this bill, we the people need to show cold hard proof that us residents want this.

We need to go to local malls and public places where people congregate and get them to sign in-person petitions. We need to go to Trenton and speak before the house and give our opinion. Thats how it gets done.

Now we can sit here and let people sign this unverified online petition, which easy for anyone to do in their underwear behind a computer screen, or we could actually do some action.

I am willing to volunteer my time and help you with this cause, in-person, to get petitions signed. If you are also willing to put this time in for the bill, PM me and we can exchange information.

Don't take it the wrong way but online petitions and yapping online really isn't going to get anything done. You really want to turn up the heat on this bill, drop me a line and let me know.

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Valid_signature

sonman

imported post

thejax, I'm not sure what this online petition will do, I happened upon it on the NJGF and figured if nothing else it would get people thinking about CCW. I will PM you to talk about more productive ways to go about this, thanks.

thejax

imported post

I received your PM and we can talk more about you and me helping out this cause. I will want more support from people before I decide to put my time in though on this. Just to be honest. This wasn't my idea so I don't intend to spearhead it. I just want to help, not look for recognition.

eric55

imported post

count me in as a volunteer i cant be an organizer but i sure as hell would stand in malls etc.. and get signatures so if someone can take leadership i'll do all i can, not that i'm not devoted enough to be a leader i would be one i just know i'll make a lousy one, i live in ocean county

eric55

imported post

the problem with the conservatives in this country is we have to learn from the liberals or we will be doomed forever. the liberals dont need to get entirely what they want to be happy if there is a bill with just a drop of what they want they are happy because they know eventually in 20 years they will have what they want. like the new one handgun a month, of course they wanted to include one rifle a month and then one a year etc.. until they ban it completely. what we have to learn is if there is a bill to change ccw in N.J dont critique it so much except it as one step to a future goal. if we keep saying its not what i want so i'm not supporting it we will forever be exactly we are only the libs would have succeeded in banning all guns. we have to take baby steps one at a time and constant, just like the libs have been doing for the last 40 years, and boy look how far they have come. Dont criticize a step in the right direction! support it and next year we'll be back for a little more

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

New Jersey is going to get it's comeuppance after McDonald. Federal judges are likely going to order local issuing authorities for carry licenses to issue for self defense, or else be thrown into a cell for contempt.

eric55

imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
New Jersey is going to get it's comeuppance after McDonald. Federal judges are likely going to order local issuing authorities for carry licenses to issue for self defense, or else be thrown into a cell for contempt.
sounds like a wonderful dream! when is the hi court supposed to start hearing the McDonald case

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

eric55 wrote:
Gray Peterson wrote:
sounds like a wonderful dream! at least i wont have to be a "criminal" on a daily basis anymore. when is the hi court supposed to start hearing the McDonald case
Eric,

I have been told that there is a ground plan to fix the may-issue permit to carry system post-McDonald. New Jersey Coalition for Self Defense, along with the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, will be leading the effort, insofar as I can make sense of their public statements on forums.

McDonald will be heard 3/2/2009, and final decision is expected in June.

s&w_357

imported post

sonman wrote:
thejax, I'm not sure what this online petition will do, I happened upon it on the NJGF and figured if nothing else it would get people thinking about CCW. I will PM you to talk about more productive ways to go about this, thanks.
I Agree.It's about time that we should do something. I thisnk the politicians we have are more in favor of the criminals carrying an illegal gun to commit the crime.

nj12ga

imported post

bill# A1384 was introduced on 1-12-10,permit to carry, and was refered to the judicial & law assembly comittee for review. now the same comittee on the senate side has it (bill S69) for review...this bill includes; removal of the "justifiable need",reduce the 30 day permit app. to 10 days,mandate using NICS exclusivly for backgroundinfo rather than the current process of checks, mandate proof ofa 6 hour training class given by NRA or others certified,is required prior to carry permit issued, permit fee of $20 for a 5yr permit.......

c1ogden

imported post

NJ citizen are not intelligent enough to be trusted with guns.

I offer their voting records as proof.......

JAB

imported post

As a NJ voter I'm going to ignore c1ogden's last comment except to advise, kidding aside, that it's best not tomake an opinionated blanket statement like that.It's much better to see productivepurpose in these forums, especially on a serious subject like Senate Bill S69. If voters take the initiative to support the bill, it may get enough attention to pass. The general political climateseems to beleaning in the right direction.

BTW - Anyone havenew news? I've not seen anything on the NJ Legislative website.

- JAB

jbobmurph

imported post

1) Are you sure it's current? Am I the only one that noticed that the link to the bill refers to it as "prefiled for the 2008 session", or some such?

2) Petitions, in person, email, or otherwise, don't do a whole lot. People need to call their representative. THAT'S how you get through to them. An in-person lobby day helps too, but calls are easy, and they are listened to (by the members that are "swing" votes).

3) I will point out that New Jersey voters seem to have gotten a bit smarter, at least last November.

JAB

imported post

Reasonably sure it's on the Legislative agenda, yes. Whether or not they get to it is another matter altogether. The original Bill #A1282 was introduced to the NJ State Assembly in 2008, that's correct.That original Bill # still shows along with each Assembly year's new Bill # assignment. According to the NJ Legislative websitethe Bill has now moved to the NJ State Senate for 2010-2011 and assigned a Senate Bill #S69.

Agreed. Talking to your elected officials as a constituantis probably the best way to make your voice heard. Is you is...or is you ain't...right?

NJLegislative link for the Bill is enclosed. Check it out: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillView.asp?BillNumber=S69

JAB

imported post

BTW just a few more thoughts...If it's a choice between passage of the Bill as is or not passingby rejecting therestrictions, my take is that the restrictions are not show-stoppers. From what I've read, in it's current formthe Bill really only imposes rangecertification on the applicant. In return it seems we gain more from the Bill as is, rather than trying to get it changed and then passed through both the Assembly and the Senate again. NJ State Police, Locals, and DOC all have to qualify in order to carry openly, so the legal logic is why not the citizenry? Hey, we all visit the range anyway, right?