• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kansas senate pass constitutional carry bill

Firearms Iinstuctor

Full story at link

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/02/kansas-senate-passes-constitutional-carry/

The Kansas Senate has passed SB 45, the bill that moves Kansas into the constitutional carry status of Arkansas, Arizona, Alaska, Wyoming, and Vermont. If the bill passes the house and is signed by Governor Brownback, a person who can legally own a firearm and who is 21 or over will be able to carry a firearm concealed without fear of prosecution. The bill, SB 45 had 26 cosponsors and was introduced by the Majority leader, Terry Bruce, of Hutchinson. The bill passed with an overwhelming, veto proof, bi-partisan margin of 31 to 7.

The seven members that voted against the bill were: Faust-Goudeau (D), Francisco(D), Hawk(D), Hensley(D), Holland(D), Pettey(D), and Kay Wolf(R).

Two Senators McGinn(R) and Schmidt(R) were present but did not vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

77zach

What explains Kansas' zero to hero moves? Preempted general OC last year and now permitless CC. Tallahassee needs to take notes.

campfire

What explains Kansas' zero to hero moves? Preempted general OC last year and now permitless CC. Tallahassee needs to take notes.

A lot of smart work by the KSRA and a string shift to the right in Kansas politics. The gov, house and senate are all very pro-gun.

jkeys

Pro gun but...

A lot of smart work by the KSRA and a string shift to the right in Kansas politics. The gov, house and senate are all very pro-gun.

Pro gun but anti balanced-budget it seems : ) LOL. Pumped for this news. But I have to drive over the state line every day. Wonder how this will impact me...

Buckwheat

Kansas went to OC state wide last July,,, Why is it that I never see anyone OC'n except when I look at myself,,,maybe see it more this summer when it is too hot to wear a cover garment.

So far OC effort has been a waste of time,,,sorry to say.

campfire

I think it is awkward and disingenuous that they are using the statewide legality of permitless OC to justify permitless concealed carry. They are definitely working from a script as it is the constant message. I guess it was thought to play better than the philosophical/political reason for constitutional carry.

Regardless, I don't see where OC effort was a waste of time even if people choose not to carry that way...at least now the right is respected in law vs. the patchwork we had before.

press1280

I think it is awkward and disingenuous that they are using the statewide legality of permitless OC to justify permitless concealed carry. They are definitely working from a script as it is the constant message. I guess it was thought to play better than the philosophical/political reason for constitutional carry.

Regardless, I don't see where OC effort was a waste of time even if people choose not to carry that way...at least now the right is respected in law vs. the patchwork we had before.

I think it's a good strategy using permitless OC as a springboard for permitless CC. It simply shows not having a permit requirement doesn't mean the place will blow up.

In the WV hearings a friendly legislator simply asked (while putting a jacket back and forth over his waist) ,"The only difference is this (jacket over hip) over this (jacket pulled away from hip), right?" It really showed how insignificant the change is as far as everyday life goes. politically it's bigger though.

campfire

Press, I left out the reason I was seeing the awkwardness... While Kansas has always had OC, preemption of local ordinances banning or regulating OC was only gained last year after several other KSRA priorities were addressed first in earlier years. I say this not so much to criticize...the KSRA had an incremental plan, worked the plan, and have been the most successful in executing it as perhaps any state 2A group in recent times. But that effort raised the awareness that OC is legal. It makes it feel a little like a 1-yr old law, which perhaps wasn't a key priority for the KSRA, is now being used as the justification for permitless OC. Your view is the better and probably more accurate one since OC has been generally legal in most of Kansas forever.

Last edited:

marine0300

SB 45 passes out of House committee

Constitutional permitless carry has just passed out of the house committee and now heads to the floor! If it passes the house it would go to the Governor.

Stay Tuned!