• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lack of respect for authorities

solus

Please let's keep on topic. This thread is about the possible idea that the lack of respect for authority could be a factor in all the many police shootings when there is no threat actually present.
It's a reasonable suggestion.
snip...

twoskins, et al., i must throw out the lack of respect is a two way street...when, as been pointed out, the first thing done when nice LEs encountering a citizen is multiple commands screamed by numerous nice LEs towards said citizen seems (read as IS) to show a lack of respect being shown toward the citizen. why on earth should a citizen respond back with respectful courtesy? there are multiple ways to approach a situation, numerous nice LEs screaming commands doesn't seem like a conducive way IMHO.

the point of my other post about nice LE fatalities while on duty was to show everyone that while nice LEs constantly profess the mantra 'officer safety' is paramount whenever they justify their Rambo style tactics towards citizens. unfortunately, the data doesn't support the harping and appears to me the 'officer safety' is or could be an urban myth!

the second part of your post which i snipped...but i mentioned in my post is that citizenry of this country, even mandated by Fed Law, has absolutely no earthly idea how many citizens are really manhandled and killed by johnny law UNLESS someone accidentally catches it on video. the citizenry is only seeing the tip i am afraid...the rest is swept or kept under wraps using the same mentality exhibited by the Gardena PD, even after court order.

ipse

Fallschirjmäger

snip
I'm sorry you chose not to read the article. It clearly states that the Gardena Police Department says the shooting was justified
10929084_833178416705245_7530971003258663251_n.jpg

- courtesy of PhotogrpahyIsNotACrime

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

You guys have made some good points about mutual respect and I appreciate the inputs.

This post seems like night and day from the OP, perhaps I didn't catch your intended meaning?
Lol you're killing me.
The truth is my posts were 50% trying to play devil's advocate and 50% parody of an apologist. I think those that are familiar with my views suspected as much.
This incident, in regards to moral acceptability, is lower than just about any killing I've heard about in a while. Why?
Because:
:) This murder was brought to you by your own tax dollars. :) and
:) "I am the Gardena Police Chief and I approve of this murder". :)

I wanted to discuss this contemptible (nod to Nightmare) act with the people on this forum and this is the only way I could think of doing it without it being immediately axed.
And now nearly all of the people I respect the most on here have chimed in so I am content for the ax. Thanks all.

Fallschirjmäger

I hereby call for the poster to be immediately banned from posting for a period not less than ten minutes and not to exceed an hour, given reasonable time off for good behavior.

Fallschirjmäger

Yeah, well I was. I hereby call for Fallschirmjäger to reimburse me for 1 beer soaked laptop computer and $10,000 for pain and suffering while choking on the beer that remained within the confines of my physical person.

Will you accept cash? PM me your address and I'll send it out on Monday.
1105449_141018150006_q11.jpg

Note... always specify which dollars when it comes to debts. :banana:

Last edited:

marine77

respect

Haven't read through the thread, except for the first one. Police do not automatically earn respect, sorry, just my two cents. Respect is always earned.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I must disagree. My default is to respect anyone that I encounter until they do something to lose that respect. I walk into a convenience store to make a purchase. I respect the clerk until they do something to lose it. I respect the taxi driver, I respect the bus driver, I respect the guy who picks up my garbage every week, and I respect the person who delivers my mail until my neighbor gets my mail more than once. That means being polite, saying please and thank you and have a good day. If they lose my respect, my demeanor goes to being nothing more than "professional" and offering only the bare minimum required for the transaction at hand.

When I am stopped by the blue lights, I respect the officer until they do something to lose that respect. However, respecting someone does not mean being subservient to them nor waiving any of my rights. Even if the officer does nothing to lose my respect, I will not provide them with any information not required by law to be provided.
I must disagree with your assessment. What you defined is not respect, but pleasantries. Being courteous means "having manners fit for a royal court." Our constitution does not allow for titles of nobility, but I digress. Respect is a feeling of deep admiration for someone. I'm 65 and in all those years there are only maybe two elected officials I have ever respected. And that does mean I agreed with them.

Respect is earned. Any person demanding respect does not deserve it and will not get it from me.

Ezek

You guys have made some good points about mutual respect and I appreciate the inputs.

Lol you're killing me.
The truth is my posts were 50% trying to play devil's advocate and 50% parody of an apologist. I think those that are familiar with my views suspected as much.
This incident, in regards to moral acceptability, is lower than just about any killing I've heard about in a while. Why?
Because:
:) This murder was brought to you by your own tax dollars. :) and
:) "I am the Gardena Police Chief and I approve of this murder". :)

I wanted to discuss this contemptible (nod to Nightmare) act with the people on this forum and this is the only way I could think of doing it without it being immediately axed.
And now nearly all of the people I respect the most on here have chimed in so I am content for the ax. Thanks all.

frankly you confuse me, it seems you are promoting that officers are somehow above a citizen, and that internal affairs ( the station investigating itself) and any potential judges involved that clear these officers is infallible. they are HUMAN, as a result they are the epitome of fallible.

and like others have said, respect should not just be generously handed out like candy at a homecoming parade. it needs to be earned. and while they do have a tough job and I understand they have to deal with a lot of crap, that is THEIR choice. they CHOSE the profession they are in, if they are in that much constant fear for themselves, and the fear of death by citizen that they can't separate a dangerous situation from a non dangerous one, then they need to find a new career path.

The Truth

frankly you confuse me, it seems you are promoting that officers are somehow above a citizen, and that internal affairs ( the station investigating itself) and any potential judges involved that clear these officers is infallible. they are HUMAN, as a result they are the epitome of fallible.

and like others have said, respect should not just be generously handed out like candy at a homecoming parade. it needs to be earned. and while they do have a tough job and I understand they have to deal with a lot of crap, that is THEIR choice. they CHOSE the profession they are in, if they are in that much constant fear for themselves, and the fear of death by citizen that they can't separate a dangerous situation from a non dangerous one, then they need to find a new career path.

He was trollin', Ezek.

twoskinsonemanns

Well frankly the officers are above the citizens...
Enter into evidence 1 dead and 1 wounded innocent citizen.

and frankly the courts must be infallible if there is no further recourse to get justice...
Enter into evidence 3 murders and 1 accomplice back on the job.

Fallschirjmäger

NavyLCDR and I were/are both in the military service; the military doesn't require you to respect anyone but it DOES require you to show respect. I can have complete and utter disdain for someone and still say "Yes, Sir" or "No, Ma'am" or "Please pass the salt."

It doesn't mean I respect them one iota, it merely means I'm complying with a societal norm.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a young Lieutenant about saluting.
"Saluting is a show of respect..." said he.
"Yes, and it also means a person doesn't have a weapon in his hand to strike the other. That's why the subordinate person shows his weakness first."
"Right."
".... Yeah... too bad I'm left-handed. I can salute and still be the first to reach for a weapon."

OC for ME

Respect? Civility?

Every cop I encounter can earn my "respect" within the first 10 seconds of that encounter...if i called him. If he walks up to me, uninvited, he will not receive any respect, only civility and my compliance with the law if required.

Tucker6900

Please let's keep on topic. This thread is about the possible idea that the lack of respect for authority could be a factor in all the many police shootings when there is no threat actually present.
It's a reasonable suggestion.

I tried reading through the entire thread before responding, but after reading your endless, repeated attempts to make it not a police employee's fault when they shoot someone who is an obvious non-threat has grown tiresome.

The #1 reason why there are more police shootings than EVER before is because we are the enemy. That, of course, is the result of numerous years of crimes committed by police employees and their departments that "investigate their own" and find no fault. The departments should not be allowed to investigate crimes committed by their own employees. More often than not, the ones doing the investigating are the same people who the servant goes golfing with, has BBQ's with, drinks beer with. It is a huge conflict of interest that needs to stop.

You think these shootings are about lack of respect? Was there lack of respect in the video from the OP? Was THIS a lack of respect? What about THIS? Or THIS?

The only lack or respect I see is from the police side. WE are the ones who deserve the respect. Each officer who fires his weapon at an unarmed person should be sentenced to the death penalty. Period.

You need to open your eyes and see what is happening. EVERY time there is something like this, the mainstream media immediately labels the police the victim and the subject the criminal. Depending on which article you read, within the first paragraph, the reporter points out that the subject was heavily intoxicated and not responding to officers commands. Do you think that is an accident? They do that so the brainwashed people dont get jarred out of their trance and realize that the police are not here to help.

Last edited:

solus

I must disagree. My default is to respect anyone that I encounter until they do something to lose that respect. I walk into a convenience store to make a purchase. I respect the clerk until they do something to lose it. I respect the taxi driver, I respect the bus driver, I respect the guy who picks up my garbage every week, and I respect the person who delivers my mail until my neighbor gets my mail more than once. That means being polite, saying please and thank you and have a good day. If they lose my respect, my demeanor goes to being nothing more than "professional" and offering only the bare minimum required for the transaction at hand.

When I am stopped by the blue lights, I respect the officer until they do something to lose that respect. However, respecting someone does not mean being subservient to them nor waiving any of my rights. Even if the officer does nothing to lose my respect, I will not provide them with any information not required by law to be provided.

commander, et al., i believe you are significantly mistaking respect from extending courtesy and good manners towards someone.

these individuals you mentioned are provided my courtesy and depending on the service rendered, good manners, as is any individual i interact with. those would be shown my respect...nawlll

(a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements. or admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements.) cite: pick a dictionary!!

ipse