• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawyer Recommendation

adk_mechetech

So I am seriously thinking about making the move to OC 100% of the time and I feel like I should speak to a good lawyer and have them on a retainer.

So far I have been carrying concealed, although I don't make a huge attempt to hide it besides throwing my shirt over my OWB holster. Anyone that knows what they are looking at would know I am carrying, but I have had zero issues as of yet. I did OC at the Advance Auto the other day and no one said a word to me, even one of the employees I had helping me with something. I am sure he noticed it.

Anyway, I was hoping I could get a recommendation for a good 2A attorney in CT somewhere around Hartford or North East of there. I'd like to discuss a few things and hopefully pay them some modest amount as a retainer so that they may be available if needed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
1 - despite his protestations, he whose name is not to be said is not an attorney.

2 - you want to get the phone numbers of some of the best criminal defense attorneys in town, and carry their cards, have their numbers in you phone's contact list, and make sure anybody you might call if you are arrested has the numbers, too. You are not going to be arguing 2A issues if you are arrested.

3 - Check you state's laws on one-party v two-party recording. If you are not required to notify anybody, buy yourself a nice digital voice recorder (a USB connection is almost a necessity) and a couple of rechargable high-capacity NiMH batteries. It should have enough storage (with or without a card) to store at least 24 hours worth of recording. Turn it on and put it in your pocket when you leave the house, and if when you come home nothing happened just erase all the files, swap in a fresh battery, and recharge the one you just took out. If something happened download the entire file - do not try to edit it - make a few copies and send a copy to someone for off-site storage.

4 - OC proudly. The one ting I have seen that draws attention is someone skulking.

5 - Do not touch the darned thing. Either it will stay in your holster and yur holster will stay where you put it or you need a better holster.

stay safe.

adk_mechetech

Thanks guys.

#2. I have contacted a semi-local atty. and he is sending me his card to keep in my wallet. He too asked me why I felt like I needed to retain a lawyer. He told me to call him when I needed him. Works for me.
#3. I am already looking into that. For the time being I am going to live with an app on my smart phone that will record and upload the video real time to dropbox. I will continue looking at recording devices though. Cheap insurance.
#4. I understand and agree. Reactions are based on perceptions. If I am courteous and presentable, acceptance is more likely than if I'm rude and look homeless.
#5. I'm well aware of that one. The only reason to touch my firearm or remove it from its holster is to clean it, use it, or put it away. My OWB holster is very comfortable and stays where I put it. A better belt would be nice, but for the time being or until this one wears out, it works just fine. I do however want to have another method of carry such as an ankle holster for times where I do need to conceal and OWB isn't practical.

adk_mechetech

Just to follow up, I went to Big-Y (local supermarket chain) and OCd for the 20 or so minutes I was wandering around looking for what I needed. It was fairly busy for a Thursday evening. No one even batted an eye. I'd guess that 80-90% of the people that I passed didn't even notice.

There was what I believe a district manager walking around with a store manager (probably?) and I must have passed them 1/2 a dozen times unintentionally. I was stopped picking up a swordfish steak out of the freezer case with my right side exposed. They were certainly looking in my direction, but just said "hello how are you?" as I walked by. I responded with a smile and a "Very well, and yourself?".

I also stopped in the small package store across the parking lot to pick up some Guinness for the weekend. I was the only one in the place and the owner's dog greeted me at the door. The owner and I had a pleasant conversation on the topic of human ownership by dogs and I went on my way. Not even a 2nd look as I left.

I am pleasantly surprised with how that first real OC went. I feel much better about it, although I will still likely use digression when nearing HFD or anywhere down near the shore.