• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal carry in a car without cpl Washington State

Redbear20

Can anyone tell me or provide a link with info on what the legal way to carry my pistol is without a CPL in a vehicle in Washington state? All I can find it saying is that it can't be loaded but what does that mean? Can it be unloaded in my holster? Does it have to be in the glove box, a lock box ect? Any info is appreciated thanks

solus

Thanks to handgunlaw.us, quote,
Carry in Vehicle With a Valid Permit/License RCW 9.41.050 Carrying firearms
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle. [2003 c 53 § 28; 1997 c 200 § 1;
Note: Some people have stated that the wording in the above law means that you must have the firearm on your person when in a vehicle. The AG’s Office gave an answer to a Legislature in 1987 that stated it didn’t have to be on your person. This letter is not an official AG Opinion. The law reads the same as it did in 1987 as far as I can ascertain. You can read that letter Here. [http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/WAAGLetterOnCarryInVehicle.pdf]

It is illegal to carry a loaded firearm in any vehicle without a valid Permit/License.

RCW 9.41.050 Carrying Firearms.
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol
concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and:
(i) The pistol is on the licensee's person
(ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or
(iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed
from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.
Unquote

Redbear20

So I open carry in a Blackhawk holster and my question is where does my unloaded gun need to be in my vehicle to be legal. Anything I've read just says unloaded so empty chamber no mag but not where the gun needs to be?

solus

So I open carry in a Blackhawk holster and my question is where does my unloaded gun need to be in my vehicle to be legal. Anything I've read just says unloaded so empty chamber no mag but not where the gun needs to be?

Sorry redbear20, the WA statutes were quoted above and no where did i see the word ‘unloaded” ?

Have a concealed permit yes, “unloaded” ?? And it must be “locked” in the vehicle as well out of view!

Redbear20

I'm asking where the gun needs to be in my car while I'm driving without a CPL

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
It is unaddressed in the law. When you are out of the vehicle it must be out of sight. When you are in the vehicle - taped to your forehead is one of many legal options.
Note that many citizens and officers are of the opinion that it must be in an opaque container.
Reread the cited law above - do you see that?

solus

Redbear20, first please let’s qualify you are > 21 ? If not provisions of 9.41.240, eff 1 Jan 2019 apply, quote:

(2) Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:
(a) In the person's place of abode;
(b) At the person's fixed place of business; or
(c) On real property under his or her control.
Unquote
[sidebar same wording as expired statutory paragragh but new statute now includes language for semi auto assault rifles]

Seems vehicles are not on list where < 21 may possess a handgun redbear20