• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Carry on your own property...!?!?

Sc0tt

The first question is:

II. POSSESSING AND CARRYING FIREARMS
A. Carrying Concealed Weapons
North Carolina law strictly controls the ability of individuals to carry weapons
concealed. Except under the limited concealed handgun permit provisions of state law,
described in Sections III. B and III. C of this publication, it is unlawful for any person
in North Carolina, except when on his or her own premises

I am allowed to CC on my own property w/o a CHP, but am I legally required to notify an officer of my carrying if approached, and the 2nd part is that what does my premisis refer to If I live in a rooming house is my premisis my room only or can I carry anywhere on the property that I am renting (ie kitchen, pourch, ect)

So while looking up the facts for my 2nd question I answered it, but I still want to know what you think
D. Transporting Weapons
Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be
ever vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a
weapon, either on or about them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid
North Carolina, or recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the
permittee's accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is for these reasons,
that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to
ensure that the weapon is not concealed, and within the ready access to an occupant of
the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon
in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon
concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon
would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina
law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a
bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach

of an occupant of the vehicle. It is our recommendation that firearms should not be
carried in a glove compartment regardless of whether the compartment is locked or not.
While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there
are other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal
drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement
official, the officer may not readily know that individual's purpose and intent for
carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an
officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's
occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain
view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons applies
not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden,
but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat
of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina
law.
As to those vehicles with no easily discernible trunk area (i.e., vans, etc.), the
question arises on a factual determination of when the weapon is within ready and easy
access to an occupant of the vehicle. If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity
to, or within the convenient control and access of an occupant, which would allow
him/her to use the weapon quickly, then a fair probability exists that the occupant is in
violation of the law. Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant of any vehicle to
ensure that weapons are securely locked away in as remote an area as possible, in relation
to the passenger compartment of the vehicle. It is important to emphasize that these
prohibitions apply to passengers, as well as drivers of any vehicle.

My question was if we are allowed to CC on our own premisis why would that not exstend to out vehicles esp now that castle doc applies to them and we own, have a legal right to be there? (But the pampelt from DOJ which I am quoting from (Link below) makes it clear that its illegal.)

All quotes from: http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

cricketdad

The first question is:

I am allowed to CC on my own property w/o a CHP, but am I legally required to notify an officer of my carrying if approached, and the 2nd part is that what does my premisis refer to If I live in a rooming house is my premisis my room only or can I carry anywhere on the property that I am renting (ie kitchen, pourch, ect)

So while looking up the facts for my 2nd question I answered it, but I still want to know what you think

My question was if we are allowed to CC on our own premisis why would that not exstend to out vehicles esp now that castle doc applies to them and we own, have a legal right to be there? (But the pampelt from DOJ which I am quoting from (Link below) makes it clear that its illegal.)

All quotes from: http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

Just because the pamphlet says something does not make it so. They will have to put out a new pamphlet after December 1st.