• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legalities of an M26c Taser in CA?

yawn

Unless you are not a prohibited person, it is perfectly legal to open carry or conceal carry a Taser in California except in the usual locations(courts, airports etc.) No permit required, though it is a good idea to get certified in the use of one, just incase you have to go to court for tasing someone.

If you are going to get one, you should spring for the X26c. It's smaller, lighter and the trigger pull is not as heavy as on the M26c or if you have money to spend get the new X3. You can tase 3 people without having to reload. The X3 Pros and Cons:

Pros: 3 shots back to back if needed, 2 lasers that show you where each prong will hit. There's more pros but I'm too tired to list.

Cons: it will set you back about $1800 and it's on the bulky side.

http://www.taserx3.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser#United_States

First my understanding is that the multiple shot tasers are for law enforcement only. Second, there is a huge con to the Taser. I was looking at a taser as well, expecially with AB144 getting closer... but Taser says at http://www.taser.com/images/downloads/pdf/ECD-State-Statute-Chart.pdf

on page 7 in the blue font:

*Various California cities and municipalities may have regulations regarding stun guns and TASER ECDs, including but not limited to: Brea,
Eureka, Hemet, Irvine, La Miranda, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Pismo Beach, San Bernardino, San Francisco County, San Francisco, San
Jose, Scotts Valley, Villa Park, San Luis Obispo, Oakland and West Covina. Please be sure to check with the local government regarding the
regulations

I didn't save my search, but I did find the penal code for Oakland and if I remember correctly, it is against the law to carry a Taser in Oakland. Wel, someone might say, fine, I won't carry in Oakland. Well, it appeared firstly that transporting was akin to carrying. Second, the above blue clause says including but not limited to. This means that I would have to check every city and county law of areas where I go/am. I mentioned Oakland because after a lot of searching, it was one of the few cities I could find laws for online. I haven't fully ruled the Taser out myself as a viable self-defense solution while on the go, but it is not like California has an open door policy to any less lethal self defense solutions.

Last edited: