• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO/Corrections Question

DooFster

WAY off topic here but I'm curious: as a C/O for an "undisclosed location" down near the border, am I authorized to carry (CC) in any GFSZ Areas, provided I carry my credentials with me or does AZ law not allow for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Are you a sworn officer with general powers of arrest, and does AZ consider you a LEO?

Generally speaking that's what you need to meet the LEOSA barrier which I'm guessing is what you are hoping to be able to use as your proof of being better than the rest of us.

Not that I disagree with the notion that there are some areas of which you speak where being unarmed is a distinct disadvantage. I'm just generally PO'd about Only Ones.

Specifically in answer to your question:

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/38/01101.01.htm&Title=38&DocType=ARS see Section 8(b)

then

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/38/01102.htm&Title=38&DocType=ARS but see especially Section D and then review the policies of "undisclosed location" and it's parent organization. I'm thinking this is where your dream will come crashing down around your head.

stay safe.

Primus

Are you a sworn officer with general powers of arrest, and does AZ consider you a LEO?

Generally speaking that's what you need to meet the LEOSA barrier which I'm guessing is what you are hoping to be able to use as your proof of being better than the rest of us.

Not that I disagree with the notion that there are some areas of which you speak where being unarmed is a distinct disadvantage. I'm just generally PO'd about Only Ones.

Specifically in answer to your question:

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/38/01101.01.htm&Title=38&DocType=ARS see Section 8(b)

then

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/38/01102.htm&Title=38&DocType=ARS but see especially Section D and then review the policies of "undisclosed location" and it's parent organization. I'm thinking this is where your dream will come crashing down around your head.

stay safe.

Ouch.... Can you fault the guy for wanting to be able to carry?

Is he supposed to take a moral stand and walk around unarmed to prove a point? To stand in solidarity? I could almost get behind that if the "stand" would ever have any affect doe the better, but it wouldn't.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

DooFster

I wasn't trying to be any better than anyone else. I'm working at a Federally-contracted facility that has hired me as a C/O and was wondering if we fall under the LEOSA. I will have to as our Chief

azcdlfred

WAY off topic here but I'm curious: as a C/O for an "undisclosed location" down near the border, am I authorized to carry (CC) in any GFSZ Areas, provided I carry my credentials with me or does AZ law not allow for that?
Check out ARS 13-3102.C.3

Corrections Officers are specifically exempted from many serious Arizona weapons misconduct laws, including taking a sawed off shotgun, with the serial number "defaced," into a kindergarten classroom.

It's something we (AzCDL) try to get corrected in at the legislature but the LEO lobbies don't want changed. We managed to get a bill granting the same exemptions to judges killed last year.

Fred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Ouch.... Can you fault the guy for wanting to be able to carry?

Is he supposed to take a moral stand and walk around unarmed to prove a point? To stand in solidarity? I could almost get behind that if the "stand" would ever have any affect doe the better, but it wouldn't.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

No, I'm not faulting the guy. Did I say anything about him not going armed just because the rest of us can not?

I'm just PO'd that some animals get to be more equal than others.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Corrections Officers are specifically exempted from many serious Arizona weapons misconduct laws, including taking a sawed off shotgun, with the serial number "defaced," into a kindergarten classroom.

It's something we (AzCDL) try to get corrected in at the legislature but the LEO lobbies don't want changed. We managed to get a bill granting the same exemptions to judges killed last year.

Fred

Don't think that one will fly, as it only covers community/state COs, not federals.

And I'm not even sure that anything will cover him, as he's basically a private secuity guard working under a contract. Rent-a-cop at a rent-a-prison. (That was not meant to be mean, just a way of illustrating the technicalities of the situation.)

I have no idea how AZ deals with it, but in Virginia contract prison officers are classified as armed security officers and have no privilege to carry based on their job. They have to qualify with pistol, shotgun, and OC (pepper spray) every year. They are not considered LEO.

stay safe.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I wasn't trying to be any better than anyone else. I'm working at a Federally-contracted facility that has hired me as a C/O and was wondering if we fall under the LEOSA. I will have to as our Chief

Well, do you think that the Gov't can restrict yours or anyone else's right to carry?

DooFster

I really don't think anyone gets my question...lol

Can I, as a C/O for a private detention center, carry on school grounds with the LEOSA to back me up?

Jared

Fred

Why change that? It's a very necessary activity :)