• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lexington Open Carry Adopt-A-Highway Litter Pickup - May 5th

Liberty4Ever

Guns And Garbage - Saturday, May 5th, 2012 Noon - 2:00 PM

Rain date: Sunday, May 6th, at 2:00 PM.

We're going to pick up litter along Richmond Road in Lexington as part of the Kentucky Adopt-A-Highway program while openly carrying firearms. It's our chance to be civic minded individuals and demonstrate that people who exercise their right to bear arms are not a threat, and in fact are your good neighbors!

Richmond Road, from mile marker 9 to mile marker 11
From Lexington Mall out past Eagle Creek Library

Meet in the parking lot behind Perkin's Restaurant at noon for the mandatory orientation. If you'd like to visit afterward, we can wash up and have dinner at Perkin's.

Perkin's Restaurant is on Richmond Road, just inside New Circle Road in Lexington, in Lexington Mall, next to Home Depot.

Sponsored by the Central Kentucky Campaign For Liberty
http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-146

Check out the pictures and description of the first Guns and Garbage:
http://gunsandgarbage.com/KY-LEX-20090411

Got questions? We have answers! Check out the FAQ:
http://gunsandgarbage.com/faq

We're making a YouTube video of this Guns & Garbage open carry litter pickup. Nobody's image will be used without permission. This is your chance to be a YouTube star!

GunsAndGarbageRoadSign.gif

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

Awesomeness~ I look forward to being there and attending ^~^

Sidenote, you all's opinions, Pink camo BDU's, good for working in or bad for the image of OC'ing during this event? :eek:

Liberty4Ever

Awesomeness~ I look forward to being there
Looking forward to having you come out and represent for gun rights awareness.

Sidenote, you all's opinions, Pink camo BDU's, good for working in or bad for the image of OC'ing during this event? :eek:
Wear something comfortable. You should be able to move around a bit. From the fashion side, there will be horrid orange safety vests which probably clash with pink. :-( We might have a few of the greenish yellow vests (bright chartreuse?) from the state DOT if that would be any better.

rob31567

Wish my wife and I could come down for this, but that weekend has already been booked up,lol. Maybe next time, you guys and gals have fun and spread the good word.

DrakeZ07

Looking forward to having you come out and represent for gun rights awareness.

Wear something comfortable. You should be able to move around a bit. From the fashion side, there will be horrid orange safety vests which probably clash with pink. :-( We might have a few of the greenish yellow vests (bright chartreuse?) from the state DOT if that would be any better.

Aww, that bright vibrant orange is always hard to match up to my clothing options :/ There should be a law or ordinance against that obscene colour, as well as the ungodly neon green, both should have a warning on it; "Surgeon generals warning: This colour may cause bleeding of the eyes, and subject the wearer to humiliation from the fashion crowd."

Why not bring bright, yet happy colour vests? Like a nice candy apple red, or a happy sea-foam vest, something that goes good with any clothing options, and doesn't make you want to stick crayons in your eye sockets? xDD

DrakeZ07

hmm...wear day glow green vest or be a grease stain on the side of the highway.....

I'll pick day glow green vest.

I've been searching for clothing options that look good, and would match DOT Orange/green vests, found some cute pants, and nice fitted T-shirts; if you want I can PM you the links, and anyone else for that matter~ <3

KYGlockster

Activist Member
hmm...wear day glow green vest or be a grease stain on the side of the highway.....

I'll pick day glow green vest.

I wore the hi-viz clothing for 5 years while working for the state D.O.T, and I can assure you the color is a target for drivers. Wearing that green and standing on the side of a highway is like having a bullseye on your back.

flb_78

I wore the hi-viz clothing for 5 years while working for the state D.O.T, and I can assure you the color is a target for drivers. Wearing that green and standing on the side of a highway is like having a bullseye on your back.

True that. Target fixation.

oooooo.....shiney!!!

DrakeZ07

So, just out of curiosity~ Who else will be attending and going with? :D

Hmm, silly question, but still, when we meet at the perkins place thingy, do we start the garbage pick up there and move out, or pile into a buss and go pick up litter, or drive and park on the side of the road? OH! and hey... Umm~ I know Lexington has a smoking ban, but does that include not smoking while being out-doors in lexington? like for the garbage pick-up? I really would hate to have to chew the nicotene gum during this >.>

langzaiguy

We pick litter up at the section of Richmond Rd right by Perkins--no driving or busing needed. The meetings are usually in the parking lot and we're usually quite noticeable--especially being combined with the Campaign for Liberty group. Smoking shouldn't be a problem if it's outside of the restaurant and provided that you're not contributing to the litter that we're picking up :) My biggest pet peeve are smokers who see the world as their ashtray--not that that's you, though.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
True that. Target fixation.

oooooo.....shiney!!!

Haha, your exactly right. I guess looking at the guy in green that shouldn't be on the side of the highway is more important than looking at the road. It could just have been the fact that we were there in state vehicles. I learned real quick how badly state employee's are hated!

I would like to come to this but I don't think I'm going to be able to. It would be nice if we could start something like this in the eastern part of the state. Anybody interested?

Liberty4Ever

It would be nice if we could start something like this in the eastern part of the state. Anybody interested?
When I set up the Guns And Garbage website, I did so in a format that would allow it to be used to promote other open carry litter pickups.

If you have any questions about open carry and the Adopt-A-Highway program, or promoting an open carry litter pickup, please PM me or email the contact listed at http://GunsAndGarbage.com and let's talk!

PS - The rain date for this event is Sunday, May 6th, at 2:00 PM.

Last edited:

09jisaac

I would like to come to this but I don't think I'm going to be able to. It would be nice if we could start something like this in the eastern part of the state. Anybody interested?

Sounds soo fun. I have been picking up trash with the pride cleanup almost twice a year for 5 years. Two of those years I was OCing. So I don't see how a OC pick-up would be too drastic of a change. I am in.

langzaiguy

I heard something about Perkins being closed down. Is this true and will this affect our litter pick up? Also, with the derby and various festivities being on this day, would this deter too many people?

Liberty4Ever

I heard something about Perkins being closed down. Is this true and will this affect our litter pick up?

It's definitely true. Perkins closed, rather quickly.

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/04/29/2169321/perkins-family-restaurant-closes.html#disqus_thread

We can still meet in the parking lot this time, but should probably find another meeting spot after this.

Also, with the derby and various festivities being on this day, would this deter too many people?

So THAT'S why there didn't seem to be any competing events this weekend!

DrakeZ07

LEX18 is showing a 50% chance of rain for Saturday/Tomorrow...

Should I assume that the pick up will be delayed until Sunday as the rain date, or is the Saturday pick up date still enforced?

Liberty4Ever

I've been watching the weather. It looks like we can expect some popup thunderstorms today and tomorrow. It looks like rain as I'm typing this. These are typical summer storms, as opposed to a major weather front moving through. They're isolated storms. They're difficult to predict with any precision as to when or where they'll occur, so we get a general trend forecast for a large region.

I think the best bet would be to go ahead with the original plan. If there's a shower early tomorrow afternoon, it won't last long. There are businesses all along that busy stretch of roadway. If you're out picking up litter and a storm pops up quickly, just duck into a Starbucks or Taco Bell or KFC or a convenience store and wait it out. It shouldn't be too big of a problem, although picking up trash doesn't sound fun to a lot of people and a chance of showers will be enough to discourage some folks.

The rain date is Sunday, May 5th from 2-4 PM, but that was set a week in advance, in case there was a large slow moving front with socked in rain all day, and that doesn't look like the case.

Actually, some clouds will be a good thing. A shower would cool things off a bit, and clouds will keep the sun off us while we're out picking up the trash. The forecast I'm seeing is calling for a high of 86. I recommend loose fitting lightweight clothing to act as a sunblock... or use some sun screen. Plan on an hour or so, out in the weather.

I'll pass out a sheet at the orientation with relevant gun laws in case you need to educate someone, and the brief rules about the Adopt-A-Highway activities. I'll put my phone number on there so you can call if you need a car to come and pick you up for any reason.

It's good exercise. Pitching in to help clean up the roadways feels good. And it's fun to openly carry firearms to educate others about our rights.

DrakeZ07

Bleh... For some reason, I feel 'redneckish' and unkempt wearing these blue jeans, and a simple T-shirt... Thankfully it's only for today...

Anyway; Been monitoring the weather, keeping an eye on the convective outlook, fronts, and mid-to-upper level atmospheric wind and warm fronts. I'll say it's just going to be cloudy, and muggy, a very slight chance of a passing rain storm popping up, but nother major or bad, and not lasting long... That is unless something changes with the warm frontal boundaries, never know, if the Jet stream shifts by ten miles in an hour towards the south, could get some slightly strong cells. Weather is unpredictable, especially in Kentucky, lol.

On a side note; I've invested in over 2700$ in Advanced Weather radar and atmospheric monitoring programs, and applications that I use during my Local, and out-of-state severe weather chasing (amateur storm chaser), I can monitor a strong tornadic cell, and position you to within half a mile of a wall cloud to watch a funnel form... but when it comes to predicting extended weather and frontal movements, I'm SOL, and no amount of money can help XD

I'll be there around 11:30a today, and look forward to meeting everyone, and I seriously hope I'm not going to be the only one out there, or I'll not give my usual fwee huggles D:<