• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lexington Open Carry Adopt-A-Highway Litter Pickup - May 5th

DrakeZ07

That was enjoyable, and had a good time out there, it was certainly a pleasure to meet you Liberty, and the others as well, and I hope to see the non-OCDO peeps come on here more often.

Sorry I had to scoot at around 2pm, I had to go pick up a friend and bring her to my place for our lil BBQ amongst friends~

Liberty4Ever

Big thanks to DrakeZ07 for coming out today to help defend our right to open carry. Sorry more of y'all couldn't make it. The weather was almost perfect. Mid to upper 70s, overcast, and a pleasant breeze.

There were also two people from the local campaign For Liberty group, and a gun nut friend of mine, so we had a total of five people. That's a bit too few to do this right, but it worked out OK. There wasn't as much trash as usual, probably because the state had recently mowed and they pick up the big stuff as they mow. I still need to go back early this evening and spend an hour or so picking up the trash under the New Circle overpass. It's always a mess, and we didn't have enough people to cover that earlier today.

Again, big BIG BIG thanks to DrakeZ07 for making the trip and for giving up a few hours today for the cause. I had intended to hang with you during the event, but by the time I finished putting out the road signs, my buddy Mike was picking up trash by himself, so I joined up with him. Hopefully, I'll be able to spend more time with you at a future OC event. It's about time for an Open Carry picnic at Jacobson Park in Lexington!

langzaiguy

Props to the both of you for your hard work!

I would have loved to join but I just had a baby girl and I think my wife would turn the gun on me if I left her side :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Liberty4Ever

I would have loved to join but I just had a baby girl....

That's awesome! I didn't even know you were pregnant. That's what I get for missing the OC at Golden Corral.

:)

"New baby daughter" is an even better excuse than "son's birthday", which was also a good excuse from another friend.

We'll be better about doing four of these a year, so plenty of time to catch an OC litter pickup later.

Liberty4Ever

October 2012 Lexington Open Carry Adopt-A-Highway Litter Pickup

Just found this... was wondering if you have any more planned?
Now that the weather has cooled off, we definitely need to have another open carry litter pickup. We didn't have a very good turnout last time, so I had to go back on Sunday to get the part we missed on Saturday. We'll probably have a better turnout when it's not so hot. I've just been too dang busy lately to set a date. I'm out of town for a shooting event in western Kentucky the first weekend in October. How about Saturday October 13th? As far as I know, I don't have anything hard scheduled for the 13th, 20th or 27th of October. Let's do this!

What's good for everyone else?

j.bones

well i know i'm a newb on here but i'd really like to link up with this. with that being said i couldn't on the 13th because Uncle Sam says i have to be in eastern ky that weekend

Liberty4Ever

I signed up my liberty group to pick up litter on a specific two mile stretch of Richmond Road as part of the official Adopt-A-Highway program. A little over half of the open carry litter pickup is the Campaign For Liberty (currently deciding on a new name), but they'll generally show up at any time and it seems to be better to let the Open Carry forum discuss and set the date.

i couldn't on the 13th because Uncle Sam says i have to be in eastern ky that weekend
What about Saturday October 20th, with a rain date of the 21st?

As for Mt Sterling... as I said, I have a commitment to pick up litter on that two mile stretch of Richmond Road, but you don't need permission to pick up litter, and you definitely don't need permission to open carry. Organize an event and have fun with it!

We completely missed having our Open Carry picnic in Lexington this year. I've been super busy, and it's not letting up! I'd still like to host a fall OC picnic at Jacobson Park, but we're prohibited by the city from promoting it publicly, including this forum (don't ask). :(

self preservation

I signed up my liberty group to pick up litter on a specific two mile stretch of Richmond Road as part of the official Adopt-A-Highway program. A little over half of the open carry litter pickup is the Campaign For Liberty (currently deciding on a new name), but they'll generally show up at any time and it seems to be better to let the Open Carry forum discuss and set the date.

As for Mt Sterling... as I said, I have a commitment to pick up litter on that two mile stretch of Richmond Road, but you don't need permission to pick up litter, and you definitely don't need permission to open carry. Organize an event and have fun with it!

We completely missed having our Open Carry picnic in Lexington this year. I've been super busy, and it's not letting up! I'd still like to host a fall OC picnic at Jacobson Park, but we're prohibited by the city from promoting it publicly, including this forum (don't ask). :(

I understand that. I though that if some of us could get together, maybe in a little smaller of a community, that we may be able to get some better exposure and we may have a better attendance for the folks to live closer to that area. And you say not to ask but being prohibited by the city sounds a little unlawful. Maybe one day you can fill me in.

KYGlockster

Activist Member

I can't help but ask! How is it the city believes they can deny you from giving an invite to an event or a gathering? Does everyone in the city have to get the city's permission before they can have a party? Must parents receive permission to have a child's birthday party? If you are not trying to make money from the gathering then the city should have no say in the matter! They shouldn't even have a say in it if you were making money, but there are certain licensing requirements and such. Does the city prohibit yard-sales? This is rather curious. The city does NOT have the authority to prohibit you from promoting anything!

self preservation

I can't help but ask! How is it the city believes they can deny you from giving an invite to an event or a gathering? Does everyone in the city have to get the city's permission before they can have a party? Must parents receive permission to have a child's birthday party? If you are not trying to make money from the gathering then the city should have no say in the matter! They shouldn't even have a say in it if you were making money, but there are certain licensing requirements and such. Does the city prohibit yard-sales? This is rather curious. The city does NOT have the authority to prohibit you from promoting anything!

We are talking about nazi-Lexington........

Liberty4Ever

Basically, the shelter rental agreement had rule #9 prohibiting firearms in the park. I used KRS 65.870 to made them take that out in 2009. After that, we decided we didn't need their shelter, as there are nice picnic tables with pine trees for shade. They responded by telling me that they have a park rule (that was at least at that time an apparently unwritten rule) that requires anyone advertising a public event in the park, regardless of whether a shelter is rented or not, to secure a one million dollar liability insurance policy that names the LFUCG as the beneficiary. Here are the problems with that policy, as I see it.

1) They only seem to enforce that rule for groups exercising their right to keep and bear arms.

2) Even if it that rule was uniformly enforced, a wedding party would pay $50 for the $1M insurance policy but an open carry picnic would pay $500+. They leverage the fact that insurance companies seldom insure gun rights events, and they tend to be afraid of anything involving guns, so they assess an arbitrarily high insurance premium. This allows the local government to pretend that they aren't discriminating, even though the rules create a VERY unlevel playing field.

3) The LFUCG seems to view public land as land belonging to the government, as opposed to land belonging to the public at large and free for the use and enjoyment of all. It's not our land. The parks belong to the LFUCG.

On the plus side, we have not been hassled by the police at previous open carry picnics at Jacobson Park, and these picnics were generally well received by other people in the park. Most people didn't pay much attention. Of those who seemed to be interested, most were curious and the comments were positive. It is Lexington, though, and there have been a couple of less than positive comments, but we did our very best to reach out in a positive manner and educate people about Kentucky gun laws and the right to keep and bear arms. Some people have a negative knee jerk emotional response that is immune to any logic or reason, but the open carry picnics have been overwhelmingly positive events in my opinion. And they're a LOT of fun!

j.bones

those dates should work.. you get it together and the Lord willing i'll be there.. and if you don't mind i would like some info on your Liberty group

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Basically, the shelter rental agreement had rule #9 prohibiting firearms in the park. I used KRS 65.870 to made them take that out in 2009. After that, we decided we didn't need their shelter, as there are nice picnic tables with pine trees for shade. They responded by telling me that they have a park rule (that was at least at that time an apparently unwritten rule) that requires anyone advertising a public event in the park, regardless of whether a shelter is rented or not, to secure a one million dollar liability insurance policy that names the LFUCG as the beneficiary. Here are the problems with that policy, as I see it.

1) They only seem to enforce that rule for groups exercising their right to keep and bear arms.

2) Even if it that rule was uniformly enforced, a wedding party would pay $50 for the $1M insurance policy but an open carry picnic would pay $500+. They leverage the fact that insurance companies seldom insure gun rights events, and they tend to be afraid of anything involving guns, so they assess an arbitrarily high insurance premium. This allows the local government to pretend that they aren't discriminating, even though the rules create a VERY unlevel playing field.

3) The LFUCG seems to view public land as land belonging to the government, as opposed to land belonging to the public at large and free for the use and enjoyment of all. It's not our land. The parks belong to the LFUCG.

On the plus side, we have not been hassled by the police at previous open carry picnics at Jacobson Park, and these picnics were generally well received by other people in the park. Most people didn't pay much attention. Of those who seemed to be interested, most were curious and the comments were positive. It is Lexington, though, and there have been a couple of less than positive comments, but we did our very best to reach out in a positive manner and educate people about Kentucky gun laws and the right to keep and bear arms. Some people have a negative knee jerk emotional response that is immune to any logic or reason, but the open carry picnics have been overwhelmingly positive events in my opinion. And they're a LOT of fun!

I believe I would have to do something about that nonsense. That park is the property of the people, and they have no right to do such a thing. I have never heard of this type of behavior from any other local government, and it seems that they are exceeding their authority!