• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List your OC/CC expierence here.

waldo563

hey all QC people

If any of you guys around the QC if u ever want to have a meeting and OC around town let me know im interested.. PM me.

Rut

My advice to him, and to other OC'ers: If you look suspicious, you will be treated as such. I asked him what he would think if he saw a person with a gun looking around the restaurant nervously. It changes a persons opinion of you instantly. I know it takes some time for some people to get comfortable open carrying, but if your going to do so, try to make people think that you are just another person conducting business as usual.

Just some friendly advice!

Carry on!

Great advice Tucker6900, I've said the same thing to a few people.

Kromwell

1st OC

Never open carried before. Decided to take 'small steps' lol Went to Central Range to see if they had any magazines in-stock for my gun. Walked a quarter block to the store. No dice on the mag but did pick up a Hogue Handall slip-slip on grip. Drove downtown, and walked down the street to another gun store with the same results. No issues experienced except for attempts at price gouging lol

Tucker6900

Never open carried before. Decided to take 'small steps' lol Went to Central Range to see if they had any magazines in-stock for my gun. Walked a quarter block to the store. No dice on the mag but did pick up a Hogue Handall slip-slip on grip. Drove downtown, and walked down the street to another gun store with the same results. No issues experienced except for attempts at price gouging lol

Congrats!! It gets easier.

Today I went to the Old Creamery Theater in Amana for a showing of Jack and The Beanstalk. OC'd the whole time. Then stopped at Target in coralville for about an hour. Then on to Theisens for ammo and tomatoe cages. OC'd the whole time. No issues.

Matt Ware

First time visiting Des Moines. OC in Urbana Ruby Tuesdays. Went to big mall and OC in Scheels Sporting Goods. Thought an issue was going to take place as soon as i walked into the store but nothing more than greetings. Then walked thru rest of mall. No issues. Some casual looks but most didnt notice.

I assume you're talking about Jordan Creek? Anyone else have any Jordan Creek mall experiences?

opencarryjoel

Jordan creek mall

I assume you're talking about Jordan Creek? Anyone else have any Jordan Creek mall experiences?

Matt, the last time I was there (couple months ago) I oced in sheels but when I went into the mall, I covered my weapon. I never seen any signs saying no weapons, but there are way too many skittish teenage girls armed with cell phones that have mall security programed in their speed dials running around there to oc imho. Probably should but taking it easy as Jordan creek is my favorite mall!

Davy Sprocket

I've cc'ed for over a year now and just found out about open carry. I went up to Sioux City to try it out recently. I went to Menards, Casey's, Scheels, and of course Walmart (the popular place to oc). I was amazed almost nobody noticed, and nobody said anything. At another time I went to my local grocery store. There were only a few people working that night and they seemed fine with it. I've never seen anyone else oc before so maybe I'll be the local advocate. I'm a bit of an oddball and oc a Bond Arms snake slayer in 45 colt, or when I'm in the country 410 shotshells.

Tucker6900

I've cc'ed for over a year now and just found out about open carry. I went up to Sioux City to try it out recently. I went to Menards, Casey's, Scheels, and of course Walmart (the popular place to oc). I was amazed almost nobody noticed, and nobody said anything. At another time I went to my local grocery store. There were only a few people working that night and they seemed fine with it. I've never seen anyone else oc before so maybe I'll be the local advocate. I'm a bit of an oddball and oc a Bond Arms snake slayer in 45 colt, or when I'm in the country 410 shotshells.

Fine job sir. And welcome.

I am finding that open carry isnt all that noticed. I was all over this weekend. Washington, Iowa City, Coralville, Des Moines. Open carrying the whole time. Not a word, question, look (as far as I noticed).

The stores that you mentioned have all been OC friendly to me. Ive been in numerous stores that some said were anti, but havent had any issues.

I had a great experience at Carousel Motors last weekend. Bought a car, and the salesman handed me a pamphlet for in car gun safes. It was refreshing to see someone on our side. And if anyone is looking to buy, head to Carousel and ask for Kevin. Great person.

Kromwell

Semi-open I guess?

Went to Menard's yesterday, with my 40 on my waist. Decided to wear a brown leather/cloth vest over it. The end of the holster still extended about 2-3 inches below my vest. Went there to buy a small gun safe. Was funny, as the salesman started off with " do you think they'll hold a gun that big...er, a handgun?" Made my purchase, took it to the van, and as i was walking the cart back to the store, a 'courtesy patrol' person coincidentally walked out directly towards me and politely took my cart. LOL

Then went to walmart where I got some necessities, which took me all around the store, and np's at all.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

OC'd at the ped mall all night Saturday. Saw a great regae(sp) band and had some dinner. Some stares, but no encounters.

opencarryjoel

Not great experience at Valley west Mall

I ran into DesMoines tonight with a friend to get him some new glasses. He went to the Lenscrafters and I decided to wander around. I had visited several stores (at least five that I can remember) and no one said a word. I was carrying my 32 glock in a Blackhawk retention holster when a kid.......yes I will say it again.........a kid comes bounding into the store where I was at wearing a security shirt. He says in the most authoritative voice he could muster, sir I need you to come with me. So he walks in front of me and we saunder out into the mall in front of God and everybody. As he turns around, I decide that this is an excellent opportunity to extend my hand and introduce myself. I want to project the most friendly and accomodating persona I could. After all, this is a chance to mold a young mind to the benefits of open carry. so I reach out my hand and say hello names Joel how are you tonight sir. I was smiling and was excited to have a pleasant interaction. He looks at my hand before shaking it ( I must of looked like I was a lepper or something but finally reluctently shook my hand. Now he coulda said well hello my name is so and so and I'm fine, thanks for asking and smiled back. Ah nooooo he points to my side arm and immediately says you know carrying a gun in the open like that is illegal in Iowa. I was a bit dismayed at the thought of a person wrongly preaching laws that he obviously didn't have a clue about, but I am absolutely determined to keep this a positive interaction. I think ok he's saying this because he just doesn't know. ok I said well sir thats not exactly true. Iowa is an open carry state. While openly carrying my side arm is not as common as concealing it, as long as I have my carry permit, I am legal to carry it either way. This is just more comforta....... ok he says interupting me....since you don't know whats legal and not legal I'm not going to argue with you. This is private property and we can refuse you entry for any reason. This is a no weapons zone and we want you to get rid of the gun, As in no longer in the mall.. I said ok I am truely sorry sir, I meant no harm. I did look for the no gun stickers when I did come in and did not see any posted, so I assumed I was ok. He says well we don't have to display anything. I am telling you that it's not ok and you need to leave. Then I asked is it ok if I do come back in after I leave my gun in the truck to finish my shopping. He rolls his eyes and says leave it in the car. I said ok thank you sir and went to extend my hand again and thank him and he just looked at me and walked off. As we walk to the door another security guy says over the walkie, anyone see which way he went. The little squirt I was was with said Im walking with him now. And the guy on the walkie says make sure our guest makes it to the parking lot. Now I'm a little wound up and I thought man what a dick. (Did not say anything). SO next time if there are no signs, Im going incognito! Concealed. Least I tried!

Tucker6900

a kid comes bounding into the store

Its nice to get to them early if possible. Unless of course they have already had their brains snatched by the bad guys.

I educated some children at a local restaurant after their dad came over to shake my hand and thank me for exercising my rights. He told me his kids were worried that I was going to rob the place. So I went over and introduced myself to his wife and kids and asked them if they had any questions. None of them did, out of shyness I think, but at least I know their father set them straight.

Fine job. I think by law there is to be a sign posted in a conspicuous place. I could be wrong.

amaixner

He may not have the right to ask you to leave the property of a renter (the store you were in). Property rights of a renter generally overrule property rights of a landlord. In fact, some states specifically prohibit a landlord (residential or commercial property) from banning guns on both the communal/access property (hallways, etc) and the rented property. At a mall, every single store would have to tell you to leave their property before you could not legally be in the mall there.
Iowa does not have it codified this way, but it's a rather interesting and complicated issue that will require more analysis in he future.

If you really want to blow a rentacop's mind, ask them if they would have told you to leave if they couldn't see the weapon.

Kromwell

OC road trip to Waterloo

Took a small road trip from Dubuque over to Waterloo. Filled up at the pumps, OC w/o any issues. There was a SUV at a pump with an older gentleman who I thought was dialing 911 but wasnt lol

Drove over to Waterloo, where I picked up a friend and his stuff from his old apartment. Going in/out of the building, carrying stuff without issues. Several people passed on the side walk. Even spent about 10min leaned against my van with cars going past. No problems at all, not even a second glance. The real fun part so to speak, is my friends apartment is right across the street from the Sherrif's dept. Several deputies even looked over as they drove through their parking lot, and didnt give me a second glance either.

Final stop was at the Road Ranger truck-stop by Evansdale. Filled up, went in to use the restroom, and get a soda. Lady behind the counter was totally cool.

3 OC opportunities, and all were incident free. All done with my HiPoint JCP (40S&W) in a belt holster at the 3 o'clock position. Not a small gun lol

Last edited:

Tucker6900

Took a small road trip from Dubuque over to Waterloo. Filled up at the pumps, OC w/o any issues. There was a SUV at a pump with an older gentleman who I thought was dialing 911 but wasnt lol

Drove over to Waterloo, where I picked up a friend and his stuff from his old apartment. Going in/out of the building, carrying stuff without issues. Several people passed on the side walk. Even spent about 10min leaned against my van with cars going past. No problems at all, not even a second glance. The real fun part so to speak, is my friends apartment is right across the street from the Sherrif's dept. Several deputies even looked over as they drove through their parking lot, and didnt give me a second glance either.

Final stop was at the Road Ranger truck-stop by Evansdale. Filled up, went in to use the restroom, and get a soda. Lady behind the counter was totally cool.

3 OC opportunities, and all were incident free. All done with my HiPoint JCP (40S&W) in a belt holster at the 3 o'clock position. Not a small gun lol

Exposure is the key! The more it becomes the norm the better. I spent the day at the Quad county pork fest in Wellman. Talked with a couple of people who had heard I open carry. Got the usual questions, like "Does anyone say anything about the gun?", "People dont freak out about that thing?".

I was walking my dog yesterday and a state officer cruised by. He seemed to slow, but didnt stop.

SW9MM

Crossed the River

I CC’d in Dubuque last weekend. My wife and I visited Catfish Charlie’s, Stone Cliff wine bar (at the old Star brewery), and Hyvee. I prefer OC, but wanted to check more into Iowa laws and the experience of others first. After reading through this, I’ll almost surely OC from now on.

Tucker6900

I CC’d in Dubuque last weekend. My wife and I visited Catfish Charlie’s, Stone Cliff wine bar (at the old Star brewery), and Hyvee. I prefer OC, but wanted to check more into Iowa laws and the experience of others first. After reading through this, I’ll almost surely OC from now on.

Let me be the first to welcome you to OCDO!

IANAL:
Iowa laws do not prohibit open carry. I have been doing so since my move here from Michigan. Havent had a single pressing issue yet.

Kromwell

OC evening 9/26

Had to return a hose for a sink to Mendard's today. Decided to carry my new Taurus PT840 at the 3 o'clock position in my outer waistband holster. Had on a polo shirt and shorts.

Waited in line at customer service, got my refund processed, and headed over to plumbing to try to find a hose that work. Found a store employee, had him helping go through the options w/o any luck. Then had him take me over to the faucets to consider that as an easier option. Decided to check one other place for the hose. Headed to the front, looked at some wrenches i'd maybe need then went to checkout. Hit up 2 lanes, to snag a soda and a snack, then back to my cart, to pay and head out. Not an eye batted.

Proceeded to drive back into town on HWY 20, and over to Lowes. Went right to plumbing, found no parts that would fit the bill, and ended up picking out a new faucet, hoses, yadda yadda. Walked back through Lowe's over to the tool section in the front and got a small crescent wrench as an in-case tool. Went through check-out with no issues either.

On the way home stopped at The Tobacco outlet, several people in the store, and nobody gave me a second glance. When I left, someone had just pulled in next to my van. The guy gave me a couple of looks I learned (from the friend who was with me). The small blonde passenger gave me the only other real reaction; as I walked between their car and my van, she tried to act nonchalant, and trying not to move her arm, activate the door lock LOL

I just smiled, hopped in my van, and headed for home.

Last edited: