• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded gun in your private vehicle? is it lawfull?

tronson

Since you did not add your location to your profile and you are posting in the Virginia forum, the above response is correct for Virginia.

Other states vary.

I am moving to dahlgren next month and when and why would I not be able to carry it in my car

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
"when and why would I not be able to carry it in my car "

If you are not in compliance with applicable Virginia law your carriage of a firearm in your car would be unlawful. Further, laws regarding the carriage of a firearm within a vehicle are not uniform amongst the states and for some states, the laws may change city by city and county by county. Laws regarding the carriage of handguns within vehicles are uniform across Virginia with no enforceable variation county by county or city by city.

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.

(1987, c. 629, § 15.1-29.15; 1988, c. 392; 1997, cc. 550, 587; 2002, c. 484; 2003, c. 943; 2004, cc. 837, 923; 2009, cc. 735, 772.)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The only problem you may have is on the base. If you have to go on base, you need to check on the rules they have.

tronson

you don't like my grammer then don't read my posts. this behavior is indicative of this forum. I slipped an e in there because I'm using my phone for this post. now what it MEANT was this was not going to be a question that required any convoluted opinionated answers. just STRAIGHT FORWARD simple question requiring only the simplest of answers yes or no. thank you for making this a grammatical discussion you spelling bee champs you.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
you don't like my grammer then don't read my posts. this behavior is indicative of this forum. I slipped an e in there because I'm using my phone for this post. now what it MEANT was this was not going to be a question that required any convoluted opinionated answers. just STRAIGHT FORWARD simple question requiring only the simplest of answers yes or no. thank you for making this a grammatical discussion you spelling bee champs you.

You might want to ease up a bit, take a breath and lower your sensitivity level. If you look back at the initial replies, you will see that your question was answered succinctly and accurately -- and THAT, sir, IS behavior indicative of this forum. The responders even went so far as to provide you with the research that you could have done yourself almost as quickly as it took you to ask the question on the forum.

To castigate this entire forum because of the OT responses of a couple of posters is unfair and unwarranted.

tronson

You might want to ease up a bit, take a breath and lower your sensitivity level. If you look back at the initial replies, you will see that your question was answered succinctly and accurately -- and THAT, sir, IS behavior indicative of this forum. The responders even went so far as to provide you with the research that you could have done yourself almost as quickly as it took you to ask the question on the forum.

To castigate this entire forum because of the OT responses of a couple of posters is unfair and unwarranted.

well that's just like...your opinion....man. -jeff lebowski

Last edited:

Dreamer

See, friend, the difficulty with your question is that there often is NO straight forward answer to firearms law questions--especially with regards to carry and transport.

The laws are notoriously convoluted, byzantine, and sometimes even self-contradictory.

Getting a "straightforward" answer from a State Attorney General or the local BATFE office is very often like trying to get a straight answer from a circus clown on acid and nitrous...

Specifics--we need specifics.

Do you travel near, on, or through School property with said handgun?

Are you over 18?

Have you every had a restraining order against you, or any other such thing?

Are you a US citizen?

Are you going to be traveling on, to, or through Federal installations or Military bases?

Do you go to the US Post Office often?

Do you travel to, in, or through MD or DC?

Do you plan to go to other states in your travels? Vehicular carry laws vary WILDLY from state to state...

Do you have a Concealed Carry Permit that is recognized in the state where you are currently living?

There are a LOT of variables here.

A "simple question" like "can I carry a loaded gun in a car" is actually a VERY complicated question, because there are so many variables, and so many weird state and federal laws that regulate what you can and cannot do.

We'll need a LOT more info before we can give you any meaningful answers.

Not being rude or glib, just trying to show you how complicated this issue can be.

Bear with us. We want to help you...

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

And exactly why are you moving to MY state?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
thank you for making this a grammatical discussion you spelling bee champs you.

As a former spelling bee champion (4th grade), I'm offended that the honor of that distinction is being so flagrantly thrown around in this thread. Do you know how long I had to train for that spelling bee?

wait....on second thought, it may have been state capitals, not a spelling bee. Aw hell, its all the same. :)

Keep asking questions tronson, and we'll keep trying to help you.

tronson

ok so my wife and I are military so we are getting stationed in dahlgren. I have never had a problem with the law ever. I won't be going to any schools I won't be leaving the state my concealed permit is from idaho and there's no reciprocity I have my out of state resident package cwp that was mailed to me from the state police so I will be getting that done when I arrive. I won't take my weapons on base. so in those circumstances is it lawfull to carry my weapon loaded in my car and in what manner? concealed on my hip ect. and are new residents not welcome in YOUR state? normally I make some good friends on here but not today I take it.