• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded gun in your private vehicle? is it lawfull?

tronson

And exactly why are you moving to MY state?

and I'm not castigating the entire forum just people like the above quote comes from. I appreciate the real help and don't understand the hostility of a few of the posters here. I really am just looking for some good answers from level headed people like the majority of the posters here. there are just a few bad eggs every states forum I have been on. like my home state of Wisconsin and my previous state idaho.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
and I'm not castigating the entire forum just people like the above quote comes from. I appreciate the real help and don't understand the hostility of a few of the posters here. I really am just looking for some good answers from level headed people like the majority of the posters here. there are just a few bad eggs every states forum I have been on. like my home state of Wisconsin and my previous state idaho.

I'm not the one that came in this with an attitude!

you don't like my grammer then don't read my posts. this behavior is indicative of this forum. I slipped an e in there because I'm using my phone for this post. now what it MEANT was this was not going to be a question that required any convoluted opinionated answers. just STRAIGHT FORWARD simple question requiring only the simplest of answers yes or no. thank you for making this a grammatical discussion you spelling bee champs you.

Everyone tried to answer your question despite the stupid wording, until you decided to shoot your mouth off.
I think you'd be happier in Wisconsin with Massa Doug!:lol:

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
ok so my wife and I are military so we are getting stationed in dahlgren. I have never had a problem with the law ever. I won't be going to any schools I won't be leaving the state my concealed permit is from idaho and there's no reciprocity I have my out of state resident package cwp that was mailed to me from the state police so I will be getting that done when I arrive. I won't take my weapons on base. so in those circumstances is it lawfull to carry my weapon loaded in my car and in what manner? concealed on my hip ect. and are new residents not welcome in YOUR state? normally I make some good friends on here but not today I take it.

Tronson First off welcome to the forum. Until you receive a CHP that is recognized in VA. open carry is an option. To begin with IANAL. Under the new law that went in effect July 1st 2010 you can carry in a secured compartment such as the glove compartment or console of your vehicle. The thing about the schools is the federal 1000 foot rule which to the best of my knowledge is only used as an add on charge but with them you never know. Open Carry is legal in VA and practiced by a number of people with no problems. Be careful around the Potomac River as it is in Maryland which is not GO Friendly.

In VA it is legal to carry in local government buildings with the exception of jails and court houses See http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#WhereUnlawfultoCarry for a list of no carry zones. If at anytime you are asked to leave someplace such as a store or restaurant leave immediately or you can be charged with trespassing.

Also as I understand 18.2-308 paragraph D as a member of the military stationed in VA you can obtain a resident CHP
D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city.
A good place for information is http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm and look into joining VCDL their web site is www.vcdl.org.

I have some family in Colonial Beach. Enjoy your stay in VA.

MSC 45ACP

and in answer to your question. because I hear virginia has great 2a rights. and it seems the navy requires that I do military and all.

The Navy requires that you "do military and all."?

I don't understand the statement. Were you drafted?

All kidding aside: I was in the military for 23 years. Dahlgren is a great place to be. You'll be ok OCing as long as you don't go past the low-tide line on the Potomac River, because THEN you are IN MARYLAND. check out the many links provided to you on this thread. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. I'll answer them to the best of my ability, or if I can't, I'll found out where you can do to get the RIGHT answer. NEVER take anyone's word for the law. Always get a written cite to back it up. It could be the difference between a visit to the crossbar hotel and keeping your freedom.