• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

long gun contradiction

scorpio_vette

so this past weekend, i was having a conversation with friends, and the topic of carrying long guns on motorcycles came up.
well i thought we needed to STILL have them UNLOADED AND ENCASED.

but others were saying that as long as it was UNLOADED, it did NOT NEED to be ENCASED, and that you could unload a longun and mount it across the handlebars to transport it wherever you were taking it.

so i decided to read up on this again since i thought the new law did NOT affect the long guns. well now i found 2 DIFFERENT writings. can you help me understand this please.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ConcealedCarry.asp

CCW FAQ http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ccw-faq-20111020.pdf

If I have a CCW license can I transport the weapon on my person in a vehicle?
Yes. Current law generally requires that firearms being transported in a vehicle be
encased and unloaded, not hidden or concealed and not within reach. In regard to other
weapons, they could not be carried concealed and within reach.
Under the new CCW law, a person with a CCW license may carry a concealed
weapon (handgun, knife, electric weapon or billy club) in a vehicle.
However, long guns are still subject to the requirement of being fully encased and
unloaded, not hidden and not within reach.

If I do not have a CCW license how do I transport weapons in a vehicle?
A. Handguns
The law now allows a person to do the following without a CCW permit:
 place, possess, or transport a handgun in a vehicle without being
unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(b).
 load a handgun in a vehicle. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(c).
 operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) with a handgun in the operator‘s
possession. Wis. Stat. § 23.33(3)(a).
 place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a motorboat with the motor
running without being unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(a), (b),
(c).
 place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a noncommercial aircraft.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Persons who do not have a CCW license may still not
carry weapons concealed. In a vehicle this means that the firearm cannot be
hidden or concealed and within reach.
B. Long guns
The law has been changed regarding hand guns but the requirements for
transporting long guns still remains. A long gun
being transported in a vehicle,
boat, or non-commercial aircraft must be unloaded and enclosed in a case that is
completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of
the firearm exposed. Wis. Stat. § 167.31(2)(a), (b)

but then you go to DNR ACT 51 FAQ http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/act51_faq.htm

Q1: Do firearms still have to be in a case before they are placed in or on a motorized vehicle, including ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles and farm implements?

A: No. Effective Nov. 19, 2011 for rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders, and Nov. 1, 2011 for handguns, firearms no longer have to be in a case in order to place them in or on a vehicle, or to transport them unloaded in or on a vehicle.

then towards the bottom

What has & has not changed:

1. Vehicles, including ATV's, UTV's, Snowmobiles, Bicycles, Horse & Buggy, etc:

BOWS & CROSSBOWS:
NEW - It will be legal to possess and transport uncased bows and crossbows, however, bows may not have an arrow nocked and a crossbow may not be cocked unless it is unloaded and cased.
FIREARMS (other than handguns):
NEW - It will be legal to possess long guns such as rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders in or on a vehicle in the following manner:

When a vehicle is in motion, long guns can be uncased in or on the vehicle, but must still be unloaded.
When a vehicle which is stationary, long guns can be uncased when placed in or on the vehicle, and can remain loaded when placed on top or against the exterior of the vehicle.
A stationary vehicle can have the motor running. “Stationary” means not moving, regardless of whether the motor is running.
It remains illegal to place a loaded firearm inside any vehicle, or to load or discharge a firearm in or from any moving or a stationary motorized vehicle. The exemption for certain disabled hunters with proper permits remains the same (no change).

so i'm lost. how should i understand that??? so is it illegal or legal to carry a long gun WITHOUT a case as long as it's UNLOADED???

Jason in WI

Its legal to transport a non-loaded long arm without a case as long it's not concealed. You also can't be in school zones.

Case law says its concealed if its below the window line in an auto. On a motorcycle, as long as you can see it it should be fine. The CCL only allows handguns to be concealed as you pointed out.

If you are in a school zone or traveling through one, your long gun needs to be cased or LOCKED in a gun rack. So if you built a gun rack with a lock for your motorcycle you will be good to go. If you just plan to lock the firearm to your handle bars I would ask a lawyer first.

I bought a lock and intend on building a rack for my AR with the stock up past the window line but just got too busy. I have the Santa Cruz one that looks like a huge hand cuff, that style also would look good on a motorcycle I think.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scorpio_vette

but none of the replies have actually answered, how one part of the law says you can NOT, and a different part of the law (the DNR part) says you CAN.

so which one do you listen to???

bigdaddy1

IANAL, but the DNR's authority is pretty much in state or federal parks and forests. I remember reading that the open riffle clause has to do with hunting and the use of boats and ATV's. Not so much automobiles on the US highway system. So in the case of a GFSZ I don't think any DNR regulations will take precidence.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
but none of the replies have actually answered, how one part of the law says you can NOT, and a different part of the law (the DNR part) says you CAN.

Well the DOJ didn't bother to update when the law changed, so theirs is simply old information.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
how does being a licensee bypass the GFSZ laws with a long gun????

Same way it works with a pistol. Nothing in the GFSZ law says the exceptions only apply to the weapons one is allowed to conceal with a CCL. The GFSZ law applies to "firearms" of all sorts.

You have to separate two things: The license law tells you what you can conceal. The school zone law tells you what you can have in a school zone.

MKEgal

scorpio_vette said:
As Auric explained, the FAQ hasn't been updated to take Act 51 into account.
Read the law, follow that, & it's harder for police to cause you problems. Or at least, to get away with it.
A FAQ is not law, even when it's on the DOJ or DNR web page.

bigdaddy1 said:
So, can I carry my AK with the shoulder strap uncased on my bike then?
As long as you don't go through a school zone.

Law abider

can't believe it

When will all this confusion stop? Contradictory laws, what's new. Contradictory laws are in every area of justice to keep us confused lost and dazed, so we continue to be criminalized and need expensive lawyers to sort thru the legal world. All of our threads contain issues and never ending how why and what on gun laws. Wow! One thing I know, it will never end so I may have to retain a lawyer and even have him/her with me at all times. pro bono, when I CC or OC. Our government is contradictory. They have no moral bearings and thus cannot stick to the simple task of constitutional interpretations according to the founders voluminous writings on how to interpret that document and ours.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Picking out the pieces

948.605  Gun-free school zones.
[ ... ]
(2) Possession of firearm in school zone.
(a) Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is in or on the grounds of a school is guilty of a Class I felony. Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school is subject to a Class B forfeiture.
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm by any of the following:
1m. A person who possesses the firearm in accordance with 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (i), (iv), (v), (vi), or (vii). 1r. Except if the person is in or on the grounds of a school, a licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g).

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Picking out the pieces

18 USC 922 (q) (2)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
  • (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    [ ... ]
  • (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
  • (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
  • (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
  • (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

Interceptor_Knight

When will all this confusion stop? Contradictory laws, what's new...

The purpose of the WI Statutes regarding firearms is to tell you what you can NOT do. If you examine them in this perspective, they are not contradictory. If you examine them in the misguided perspective that they give you the authority to do something, you may eventually jump off of a roof due to the confusion and frustration. My advice is to examine them with the former perspective...:dude:

jrm

A FAQ is not law, even when it's on the DOJ or DNR web page.

That certainly is true, if by "law" you mean binding on the public. But a FAQ could be binding on the state. If the state tells you something is legal, and you rely on it, and the state was wrong and then tries to prosecute you, that's entrapment. You ought to be acquitted. You may not beat the ride, but you should beat the time.

Interceptor_Knight

That certainly is true, if by "law" you mean binding on the public. But a FAQ could be binding on the state. If the state tells you something is legal, and you rely on it, and the state was wrong and then tries to prosecute you, that's entrapment. You ought to be acquitted. You may not beat the ride, but you should beat the time.

Not only is it not "law", but a FAQ is not binding to anyone. Errors regarding long gun carry in the current DOJ FAQ are because the FAQ has not been updated. It is not intended to be a living document There is however a lot of wishful thinking and assuming going on by those who read it.

Most FAQs have a disclaimer... This is from the DOJ FAQ
DISCLAIMER: This document broadly discusses—in question-and-answer format—the laws and
procedures governing licenses to carry concealed weapons in Wisconsin. Every effort has been made to
be as accurate as possible. However, this document does not constitute either an informal or formal
opinion of the Wisconsin Attorney General, does not constitute legal advice or guidance and does not
create an attorney-client relationship

Last edited:

Law abider

The purpose of the WI Statutes regarding firearms is to tell you what you can NOT do. If you examine them in this perspective, they are not contradictory. If you examine them in the misguided perspective that they give you the authority to do something, you may eventually jump off of a roof due to the confusion and frustration. My advice is to examine them with the former perspective...:dude:

You are right The statutes tell us what we can NOT do. Thank interceptor. I was looking it from another prespective and felt that I really can't carry at all.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member

The DOJ think was written referring to ACT 35, so as of it's writing, long guns had to be encased. Then act 51 was enacted (the DNR one) and long guns don't have to be now.

We need to look at the actual law(s), not the out-of-date FAQ documents.

scorpio_vette

The DOJ think was written referring to ACT 35, so as of it's writing, long guns had to be encased. Then act 51 was enacted (the DNR one) and long guns don't have to be now.

We need to look at the actual law(s), not the out-of-date FAQ documents.

i'm still confused as to how you can have 2 different departments writing law, and how do you know which one over-rides which??? i'm not sure why, but i was under the understanding/assumption that the DNR one applied to vehicles not on highways. i'm just having a hard time understanding and trying to prove to myself that one law is stronger than the other law.

is there any writing that states that if one department brings in new law, that it automatically over-rides other departments, or what am i missing here??? why have 2 different law departments if their laws over-ride each other???